PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with shaw net problems?

Kloubek
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
...in particular around Abbeydale?

For the last 2-3 weeks, I've been having problems with it simply dropping my internet at any given time. Sometimes, my modem shows all lights on. Sometimes, it blinks on the send and doesn't get to the "online" stage.

I've unplugged it to reset it, which *sometimes* helps. Or, maybe it doesn't and maybe the access just comes back in the 2 minutes I leave it off.

This problem is happening almost daily, and the amount of time it takes to come back after disconnecting is anywhere from 0-60 minutes.

I'm hoping others are having this problem.... if not, perhaps my modem is having issues.

Also, point of note, my wireless network (laptops in my home) also don't work when this happens. So it really is disconnected - even those times it shows all the lights (including "online") active.

Final point to note: Should I be downloading something when it cuts out, the downloads are NOT effected. It is just my "direct" access. (ie: Browser, and apps/games which use the net)

da9integ
08-09-2009, 08:52 PM
im been having this problem for a long ass time prob since last summer. it cuts out for no reason then comes on somewhat later and all lights are showing up as normal when this occurs aswell.

Grogador
08-09-2009, 09:09 PM
'send' light flashing means your return path is no good or too noisy and the modem can't yell loud enough for the headend to hear you... pretty common with cheap splitters, poor wiring (inside or out) or other more sinister mainline issues... you should call 310-SHAW and get them to check your signal levels, probably send out a tech for a free servicecall...

Kloubek
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
^^^ This might be good advice actually. I just realized it seems to have started happening around the time I rearranged by bedroom. I'm using the same splitter, but did add a rather long extension to reach from the source to the other side of the bedroom.

Why I didn't consider this earlier, I have no idea.

Thanks!

sneek
08-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I just got back from Europe and my internet is flaky as hell! It worked just fine before I left! I have a box that shaw installed to amplify the signal around the house, and power cycling that thing seems to make the internet come back for about 10 mins. My cable also seems to get grainy when my internet dies. Sadly I need to catch up on TONS of email, and the earliest the tech can come in is Tuesday! Did you end up finding any resolution to your problem?

PS: I am in Edgemont

Grogador
08-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by sneek
I just got back from Europe and my internet is flaky as hell! It worked just fine before I left! I have a box that shaw installed to amplify the signal around the house, and power cycling that thing seems to make the internet come back for about 10 mins. My cable also seems to get grainy when my internet dies. Sadly I need to catch up on TONS of email, and the earliest the tech can come in is Tuesday! Did you end up finding any resolution to your problem?

PS: I am in Edgemont

The only time you should have an amplifier ("drop amp") in your house is when you're feeding 5+ outlets. Usually they are put in by stupid/lazy techs who doesn't feel like fixing your wiring properly. Like any active device, the amps fail as well. Is yours white or black? Does it say "multimedia" or "return" amplifier on it? One port or four ports coming out? Anyway, you have major signal problems if your TV goes fuzzy as well, that doesn't happen until the signal hits -15dBmV which is very weak.

Edit: oh you already booked a SC, ignore my questions then :D Just make sure the guy measures signals inside and outside, and tells you WTF is up with it!