PDA

View Full Version : Advice on telephone Line

coldmind
08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi all,

Just want to know if anyone on here did a re-wiring of telephone line into other rooms. Did you guys ask Telus to do this? How much am I expected to fork out for this kind of work?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Swank
08-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I did mine into my basement myself. It's very easy to do, you only need the red and green wires for a phone, the black and yellow if you want ADSL. I can probably walk you through it. Running wires behind drywall and fishing wires through would be a whole different story and probably cost more than cordless phones, if that's the case here.

Grogador
08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Telus charges $85/hr+ for inside work (ie. past their demarc point) so either do it yourself, or even hire a sparky. Just pull some CAT5*, pop some of those metal surface bracket thingies and slap an RJ11 faceplate on it. If you want to be sneaky, get Shaw Digital Phone and their installers/service techs will install/repair your telephone jacks for much, much cheaper (like $25/jack install iirc).

* I doubt CAT3 is much cheaper, and using CAT5 allows you to run gigabit ethernet on that wire, possibly saving some work in the future :thumbsup:

Mibz
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Getting a multi-handset cordless phone will probably end up being cheaper than hiring somebody and easier than doing it yourself. Or is that not an option?