PDA

View Full Version : LF: Quick buying advice on a used DSLR

pei_boy
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
If you have time to give me an opinion, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Thanks!!!

ExtraSlow
08-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I have a counter-proposal.
I'll give you my opinion if you post your question here.

pei_boy
08-10-2009, 02:31 PM
If you like.

Olympus e-510 DSLR
Twin lenses 14-42mm and 40-150mm
4gb CF
Tripod
Bag
Mint mint

$400.

What do you think? Worth grabbing?

ExtraSlow
08-10-2009, 02:40 PM
My take:

I consider Digital cameras to be electronics, and as such, not worth buying used as they advance so quickly. This design is more than two years old, so even though it's got decent specs, it's pretty dated.
Also, aside for the pro models, they just don't have superb durability.

4 GB card is also pretty small.

My take: :thumbsdow

Edit: Also, I'm not an Olympus fan, so I'd prefer to get the brand new Nikon D60 kit for $500 if that's in your price range.

Kloubek
08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
^^ I disagree. I picked up a Rebel DSLR on here for $250; almost half of what it is priced in stores w/tax.

I'm with ya on the Olympus though. I'd only go Canon or Nikon.

Trini
08-10-2009, 03:34 PM
*shrug* I got an used Xti off these forums, been pleased with it.
cheaper than in the store, and as I am new to the DSLR game I didn't want to spend a huge amount of $ and buy a new camera.

pei_boy
08-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the input.

Price vs. what was included was a factor and I'm new to the D-SLR game and I don't think I'd notice one slightly improved feature over another.

There seems to be an amazing amount of online help via Olympus online tutorials, the web and Youtube for this camera so I went for it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I would suggest looking for something from Nikon or Canon. If you start to like photography and really get into it, you will wish you went with one of the big 2 brands IMO.

blitz
08-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Or if you get into photography, sell the Olympus and buy a Nikon or Canon instead of buying more Olympus lenses.

bcylau
08-11-2009, 01:10 PM
having shot olympus since the e-1 (2005) and canon , I will chime in.

the e510 is a superb entry level camera, though iso1600 is noisy. Another thing to consider is that the 14-42mm and 40-150mm is very sharp for kit lens. sharper than 18-55mm non-is from Canon and Nikon. Plus you are getting 28-300mm 35mmeqv for $400. if you want C or N its going to be double if you want IS or VR. Plus you are pretty much always going to be able to sell this kit for $200 in the future, so its never really going to cost you more than $200.

on the flipside, the 1.6x sensors have much better noise characteristics. and there is a bigger used market.

I would buy the used e510 given it costs you very little in depreciation plus there are more features in the e510 than the rebel or d60

check them out here : dpreview.com

Mitsu3000gt
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by bcylau
having shot olympus since the e-1 (2005) and canon , I will chime in.

the e510 is a superb entry level camera, though iso1600 is noisy. Another thing to consider is that the 14-42mm and 40-150mm is very sharp for kit lens. sharper than 18-55mm non-is from Canon and Nikon. Plus you are getting 28-300mm 35mmeqv for $400. if you want C or N its going to be double if you want IS or VR. Plus you are pretty much always going to be able to sell this kit for $200 in the future, so its never really going to cost you more than $200.

on the flipside, the 1.6x sensors have much better noise characteristics. and there is a bigger used market.

I would buy the used e510 given it costs you very little in depreciation plus there are more features in the e510 than the rebel or d60

check them out here : dpreview.com

What are the features the Olympus E510 offers over the D60? To me it appears in all the areas that really matter, the D60 is the same or better.

Also, you're buying into a system, not just a camera body, which is easily replaced/upgraded. By going with Nikon/Canon and having access to far more & better lenses, a better flash system, better image stabilization, etc. is far more valuable in my opinion.

I guess most importantly its what the OP wants to get out of the camera and it's intended use.

bcylau
08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
i think there is also an important point on value. i dont think Canon flash system is better however. I seem to be able to trust my e-3 and fl50r more than 1dmk2 or 5d with 580ex. Nikon flash system is the best right now.

the biggest points are olympus' dust shaker, inbody is (especially with legacy lenses), and in-camera pixel mapping. IS is better on the Canon longer lenses but its better on olympus for shorter lenses or legacy lenses. also for a casual shooter, olympus' mid grade lenses are far more affordable than C/N. My 14-54mm (28-108mm in 35mm) is very close in sharpest to my 24-70mmL but my 14-54mm I got for $350 at futureshop while the 24-70mmL I got for $1400

anyways what my main point is, if this is your first foray into dslr then pick the package with the most value regardless of brand. Depends far more on the photographer than the cam anyways. If you find out later than you are not that interested in photography then which cam / brand / system you picked doesnt really matter. But if you found yourself outgrowing the equipment, then cost of switching between systems is very low.

ex1z7
08-16-2009, 11:26 AM
The thing I find with Olympus is, although the glass is great - the bodies are the most awkward thing to hold onto out of everything I've put my hands on.. Plus, if you want to go pro stuff with olympus you're paying quite a lot more compared to Nikon or Canon..

And it's harder to find stuff. A friend of mine just got into the DSLR game with a D5000, and ended up dropping his lens a few times and broke the mount.. In a pinch he could find a replacement lens in a matter of hours, compared to finding an olympus lens? good luck.. Especially used.

quazimoto
08-17-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm trying to figure out when you say the noise on the 1.6X crop sensors is better. Last I checked my 5D Mark II kicks butt at ISO 1600-3200 over my friends 50D.

I would also highly urge you to buy canon and nikon. I'm sure 99 out of 100 professional photographers would tell you the exact same thing if you were getting started out.

Seriously the day we see some pro photographer at the super bowl using an olympus camera instead of a nikon or canon is the day both canon and nikon go bankrupt or hell freezes over.

It mostly has to do with the fact you are buying into complete systems like everyone else says. I'm sure most photogrpahers could take just about any DSLR and make awesome photos.

The one thing to take into consideration is that once you start getting into a particular brand of camera it will be hard to change over. Not only from buying extra equipment but the fact all the brands make cameras where the controls are quite different.

ex1z7
08-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
I'm trying to figure out when you say the noise on the 1.6X crop sensors is better. Last I checked my 5D Mark II kicks butt at ISO 1600-3200 over my friends 50D.

the 1.6x crop sensor is better at noise control over the 4/3rds sensor is the point that was being made dude.

Compare your full frame to a 50d, then compare the 50d to the Olympus sensor at high ISO.. The 50d rocks it.

bcylau
08-17-2009, 03:26 PM
i am not going to argue C/N/O/S/P or whatever. because each camera is design for a specific audience. this thread is clearly talking about entry level slr. the strength of alternative systems are in the entry price points, O/P especially.

on a paid job, I would use nothing but my 5d and 1d but this is about "cheap" / entry slrs. and seriously no one is going to use olympus stuff to shoot paid shoots, i've tried it didnt work out very well. but for the casual shooter, i find pentax / olympus far more interesting than anything else

yes, when trying to buy/sell my olympus stuff it takes about 2months to find buyer/seller and pay then ship the thing. but its only about 2 weeks for everything i want to buy/sell Canon. so life is kinda a bitch when you use olympus.

the reason why i recommended the alternatives instead of C/N is because I've used olympus againsted canon and nikon and i do honestly believe you get far more bang for your buck at $400 to $600, whether it be camera budget or lens budget. above that larger formats becomes more attractive.

op - pm me if you want tips or things to look out for when buying and selling cameras and lenses

scary_perry
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
The best camera is the one you have with you when there is something to shoot i.e. the one you use.

For most of us, the brands are meaningless - all will turn out crap pix in the hands of an amateur.

I have owned recent dSLRs from Canon, Nikon and Sony. They all fare about the same in my hands. Which is to say pretty mediocre.

The OP deal sounds pretty good unless the tripod is crap. In which case $300-350 is more fair.

C4S
08-17-2009, 04:31 PM
That is a good price!

Good camera too, I used my brother's 510 on my trip to Kobe etc last summer .. ( with 14-42, and 40-150mm too )

It takes good and sharp pic, ( dont trust the LCD, pictures look dark and blend from LCD, but nice in computer )

It is nice for travel!

However, since it is a 2X crop camera, don't expect good bokeh nor good dynamic feel.
( Plus if you dont mind to use NONE CANON/NIKON )

pei_boy
08-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, I did go ahead with the original deal and after several pictures we feel it is taking GREAT pictures. Maybe not pro-slr grade, but a massive step up from our Canon P&S.

And the 2 lenses included give us decent zoom level for most applications.

Thanks again!