PDA

View Full Version : r32 rb25 swap

gear_nut123
08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey im looking to do and rb25 swap in my 91 skyline gts non turbo. what do i need to know. is there walls i may run in to doing this.

so please engulf my brain with knowledge. lol

any help would be great.

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Apparently your speedo cable will lock into the stock location of the VSS, i havent dealt with that yet, the last swap i did, we used the rb20 tranny. Wiring will need to be modified, i think you need either electric fans or an rb25 shroud for the belt fan to work. Piping should be pretty much the same for the intercooler, so you can prolly use an rb20 sidemount setup to get you by, however i would go front mount. You may have to have a custom driveshaft made, with an rb25 yoke on the front, and an rb20 yoke on the back, as they are completely different sizes of output shafts.

ercchry
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
hmm i wonder if i have a rb20 tranny then, my drive shaft looks like a factory piece

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
hmm i wonder if i have a rb20 tranny then, my drive shaft looks like a factory piece

If its the same size yoke as an s13, yes it is, if its the same size yoke as a 300zx TT, then no. The yoke is considerably larger. Also, sometimes you can combine factory fronts and backs of driveshafts to make something work, but you would need alot to figure it out haha.

kdwebber
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

you can tell the difference between the transmissions fairly easily

the rb25 is obviously much beefier and the angle of the shifter plate is on a slope and not flat like the rb20

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by kdwebber

you can tell the difference between the transmissions fairly easily

the rb25 is obviously much beefier and the angle of the shifter plate is on a slope and not flat like the rb20

good call man, DUH i totally forgot about that defining feature.

kdwebber
08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
wiring will need to be changed, either you can use the rb25 harness or you can modify your 20 harness. You can either re-program an rb20 ecu or you can just use the rb25 one.

the rb20 transmission and stock 5 speed driveshaft can be used

the clutch fan and stock fan shoroud can be used, no idea why someone would think otherwise

engine mounts are the same

make sure you have the appropriate ignitor specific to your swap. If you run series 2 then you will need to change ignitors and rewire it, coil packs should come with the engine you buy

stock IC piping can be re-used or you can go frontmount

also you will need to figure out what you want to do with your turbo back exhaust but you need to figure that out... stock elbow, aftermarket elbow etc

pretty easy swap overall

sr20s14zenki
08-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by kdwebber
wiring will need to be changed, either you can use the rb25 harness or you can modify your 20 harness. You can either re-program an rb20 ecu or you can just use the rb25 one.

the rb20 transmission and stock 5 speed driveshaft can be used

the clutch fan and stock fan shoroud can be used, no idea why someone would think otherwise

engine mounts are the same

make sure you have the appropriate ignitor specific to your swap. If you run series 2 then you will need to change ignitors and rewire it, coil packs should come with the engine you buy

stock IC piping can be re-used or you can go frontmount

also you will need to figure out what you want to do with your turbo back exhaust but you need to figure that out... stock elbow, aftermarket elbow etc

pretty easy swap overall

edit: Nevermind, the shrouds are the same hahaha. Must be thinking something else.

gear_nut123
08-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey thanks alot you guys this all helps vary much i will be useing the rb25 ecu
and wiring harness. And i was pretty sure i needed a custom drive shaft.
i just put the lsd in and the dam stock gts non turbo open diff was six bolt. and i had got a stock gts-t lsd and that is a 5 bolt. so to over come this i used 300zx axles and they work perfect. so now its time for the engine. all the info i can get i will take.
i know what im doing for the most part. but the more help the better.
so thanks alot guys

Sorath
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
u want a crazy setup?

buy this :)

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/273039/fs-rb25-setup/

gear_nut123
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
ya i saw that its i bit over what im looking to spend.

ercchry
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
u want a crazy setup?

does it come with a free shell and sti?

gear_nut123
08-10-2009, 08:41 PM
lol ya no kidding

SNAATCH
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM
u want a crazy setup?

Why the hell would someone pay $14,000 for a built RB25 when you could get this for half that price? What's your best time with that setup? 12.6?

http://driftwest.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4821&highlight=rb26

se7en
08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
12.6??

oh boy, that's a great deal for 14,000.

Sorath
08-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Ur an idiot Ryan I ran that time with a stock motor. 14000 comes with absolutely everything. If u price out everything u'll know it's a good deal. The built motor is fresh and never been driven on. Not everyone is like u and spend 20 grand on an 11 second car.

SNAATCH
08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Ur an idiot Ryan I ran that time with a stock motor. 14000 comes with absolutely everything. If u price out everything u'll know it's a good deal. The built motor is fresh and never been driven on. Not everyone is like u and spend 20 grand on an 11 second car.

Actually you want $14,000 for just your motor and how much for your car?

$18,500 on a 10 second capable GTR is a little better than spending $14k+ on just an engine and turbo setup that has only seen 12's no?

Sorath
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
yeah well hows the motor in the car that u sold to the sorry sucker doing now?

this is fresh new build. i dont care if people think im asking too much. cause im in no rush to sell. worse case scenario i`ll use the damn thing. it runs 12's on a STOCK MOTOR, STOCK BOTTOM END, STOCK HEAD GASKET, STOCK HEAD, STOCK CAMS all it has is the turbo and intake manifold.

besides the price is obo. and in that motor im pretty sure if u put some race gas in and tune it. it`ll run low 11 to high 10 on good tires.

SNAATCH
08-12-2009, 11:38 PM
yeah well hows the motor in the car that u sold to the sorry sucker doing now?

this is fresh new build. i dont care if people think im asking too much. cause im in no rush to sell. worse case scenario i`ll use the damn thing. it runs 12's on a STOCK MOTOR, STOCK BOTTOM END, STOCK HEAD GASKET, STOCK HEAD, STOCK CAMS all it has is the turbo and intake manifold.

besides the price is obo. and in that motor im pretty sure if u put some race gas in and tune it. it`ll run low 11 to high 10 on good tires.

That motor just made 630whp and is holding up great.

Sorath
08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
funny story, thats not what ive seen/heard

SNAATCH
08-12-2009, 11:49 PM
funny story, thats not what ive seen/heard

Well you should get your facts straight.

The point I am trying to make is there are much better deals out there than $14,000 for a built RB25 that hasn't even been tested out or broken in. That's the highest price I have seen for any Built RB or SR motor for that matter.

Just a little while ago there was a much better setup for sale by a driftwest member and I think it sold for around $7000 and made 580whp. I believe it was an RB25 bored to an RB27 with RB26 head and a big turbo, not sure of all the details....

If you actually want to sell it for $14,000 you are going to have to have some numbers to back it up or lower the price.

If not then you might want to stop trying to pawn it on people looking to do an RB swap because NO body in their right mind will be willing to spend that coin on your motor.

Sorath
08-12-2009, 11:53 PM
man, forget it, u dont even read what i post. so just forget it

chrispl
08-13-2009, 12:06 AM
to the op,
good luck and have fun :thumbsup:
i didn't do the swap in my old skyline,
but it was an r32 with a rb25 and it hauled ass,
it was a super fun car and i regret getting rid of it everyday :(

SNAATCH
08-13-2009, 12:13 AM
man, forget it, u dont even read what i post. so just forget it

What is your point?

In your FS thread you make no mention of a warranty on this 0 km motor. When spending $14,000 one would want a touch of security.
Autodream charges how much to build that motor? $10k? $4k should give you just about enough room to buy a very good turbo setup. Why wouldn't somebody spend the few extra dollars and buy everything on their own brand new with a warranty?

There is NO way you can justify asking $14k for your setup.

And there is no need to call me an idiot because everyone else is thinking the same thing as me, $14k is a joke.

Sorath
08-13-2009, 12:15 AM
the fucking autronic is like 4000 alone,

the turbo say used is about 1000
the intake manifold say used is about another 1000
the exhaust manifold say used is about another 800

+ FMIC + piping + ewg + others

like i said it adds up...

14grand might be a joke to u, but like i said, the price is obo, if i sell it great, if not then so be it i`ll use it. i dunno what the big deal is, if ur not buying then why comment

im pretty sure autodream will warranty the motor to an extent since they built it.

SNAATCH
08-13-2009, 12:34 AM
the fucking autronic is like 4000 alone,

the turbo say used is about 1000
the intake manifold say used is about another 1000
the exhaust manifold say used is about another 800

+ FMIC + piping + ewg + others

like i said it adds up...

14grand might be a joke to u, but like i said, the price is obo, if i sell it great, if not then so be it i`ll use it. i dunno what the big deal is, if ur not buying then why comment

I've priced out an SM4 unit brand new for $2500...

I comment because this is a thread with someone asking for advice on swapping an RB into his car, and is not your FS thread which I will respect and leave alone.

I know it adds up, but other people who spend $15k plus on their setups sell them for half of that.

I don't even know why you argue. Yes we all know building a car is expensive blah blah, it adds up, blah blah.... I'm not arguing with you there. I'm simply stating you are asking way too much for your setup and will never sell it for anywhere close to it.

gear_nut123
08-16-2009, 07:10 PM
soooooooo......... about my engine swap......ha..ha.. :S

sr20s14zenki
08-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I can do it for you, but itll cost you (=. Considerably less than local shops however (=