PDA

View Full Version : How can copy files from a 64 bitBD to 32hd?

gofastmerc
08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
My wife's compaq with an Vista OS, burnt the mother board. Its still under warranty, but the fellow said they will restore it when they get it. So to save the files, I put the Compaq HD in my XP machine, and I can see all the files, even copy them them around, open them into photo editing software, but I can't burn them to a disc. It just says "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file"

I can even put them on a memory stick, but when I read off the stick and try to put that to disc or my HD, the error comes back.

Oh.. the XP machine uses a ide cable, the Vista one uses a SATA, but the XP machine has the SATA cables, too.

eblend
08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
nothing to do with 32 vs 64, sounds like file ownership issues, select folder, click properties, under security click advanced and udner ownership change the owner to be administrators or your user name on the machine, this will adjust the file so you can do whatever you want with it

gofastmerc
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks, tried it, but it didn't work. :(

eblend
08-10-2009, 10:29 PM
did u check the box where it says to propogate to child objects, if not then you shoud try that

gofastmerc
08-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by eblend
did u check the box where it says to propogate to child objects, if not then you shoud try that

Yup, I did.

I think it something to do with my new burner I just installed.
When I first put it in, I made sure it worked by burning a little cd of some pics,worked fine. Now it won't let me do that, doesn't matter what drive I choose.

I know the burner works because I'm using Nero's back up program to get the files burn the files, but it doesn't seem to work any other way.

Zhariak
08-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Is there a chance that she may have been using the encryption option?

If you use any of the OS encryption options your pooched unless you created one of those backup disks with the key on it...