PDA

View Full Version : Deck Stain

visualk
08-11-2009, 08:35 AM
I just got my deck completed on my house and I am now looking for a deck stain. I used pressure treated lumber for my whole deck and thinking of colors and what type to get. Also is there any tips or things I should know about before applying, this is my first time staining a deck.

bignerd
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
You are supposed to wait a while before staining pressure treated wood I think. The chemicals in it will prevent the stain from working/applying properly.

We used Behr latex stain and had horrible results... the stain and flaked off in year and it looked like we hadn't even done anything to the deck!! One thing though is Behr totally stands behind their warranty and they paid for the can of stain we used and a bottle of stain stripper and deck brightener so we could re-do the deck even though I told them I would not use their stain again.

We used CIL oil stain this time(figure the worse it is for the environment the better it will last) and so far it looks great and no complaints even with a dog and patio furniture on it.

Oh buy a deck staining pad-they sell them at home depot-they work awesome!!!(put them on a long handle) and cut your staining time in half-I will NEVER stain another deck any other way.

dropdat
08-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
they paid for the can of stain we used and a bottle of stain stripper and deck brightener so we could re-do the deck even though I told them I would not use their stain again.

Well that was nice of you. You made the mistake, flipped it on them and then you weren't faithful to the company that helped you even though they shouldn't have.

But back on topic, my company has been in the deck industry for almost a decade now and I'm telling you to not stain it yet. The stain will not take properly and start flaking very shortly. Let the treatment in the wood dry for some time (2 years is recommended) then start staining, otherwise you'll be stuck sanding and stripping your newer deck.

bignerd
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by dropdat

Well that was nice of you. You made the mistake, flipped it on them and then you weren't faithful to the company that helped you even though they shouldn't have.

Who says we made the mistake? Our deck is cedar, 2 years old. We used a deck brightener/cleaner first, let it dry several days and stained it in the early evening out of direct sunlight as our deck faces south. The deck dryed fine, no rain for nearly a week and the stain STILL only lasted a year. Followed the directions to a "T" as per the can of stain.

However, our stairs are made of pressure treated wood and I know you have to wait to stain those.

Perhaps Behr stain would be fine on pressure treated wood but it sucked on our cedar and we did buy the correct type of stain for the wood. Maybe it was one shitty can but it was too much work for me to risk using their products again.

Khyron
08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
LATEX IS SHIT ON OUTDOOR HORIZONTAL SURFACES. That was your problem. But they all sell it because people demand it. I wouldn't even do a fence in latex. Indoors, everything is good in latex (except if you have an indoor hottub or swimming pool)

Semi trans oil is about as colorful as you can get and still have good wear. Mine lasts 2-3 years before some minor flaking and 5 years before it has to be done. Depends on sun exposure and if you shovel the snow off it.

If you want to last longer, stain the bottom (underneath) the deck as well.

Oh and wait at least 1 year if not 2 before doing anything to pressure treated wood. The chems leak for years and will just push the stain/paint off.

dropdat
08-12-2009, 08:43 AM
My apologies Bignerd. I had assumed you used pressure treated wood and that is why you had such shitty results. I guess if it was cedar then you were entitled to some compensation.