PDA

View Full Version : Any MBAs out there?

Shaolin
11-06-2003, 08:06 AM
I'm looking into doing my MBA within a couple of years, but I don't know what the requirements are or how the classes are structured. I heard you need a 3.0 in order to get accepted into a MBA program, but if our GPA is lower, you have to make up for it on the entrance exam.

any ideas?

thich
11-06-2003, 08:22 AM
you have to take the GMAT for sure
the best bet is to go directly to the MBA office and ask what the requirements are.

B17a
11-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Most schools require at least 3 years of some real work experience too. Basically the three criteria are undergrad marks, GMAT score, and work experience.

kaput
11-06-2003, 10:58 AM

syeve
11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
I start in Sept...not hard to get in

JustinL
11-06-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm looking to start in September as well here at the UofA. I've gotten addicted to financial independance, so I'll be going through the part time program. I'm writing my GMAT in 3 weeks...

freeeked
11-06-2003, 03:33 PM
I also am considering entering the program. They have an info sessions for the U of C you can attend. Generally you need at least a 580 on GMAT, a 3.0 gpa (U of C - thats the last 2 years). At least 3 years of work experience.

You take 20 courses, you can only get credit for undergrad / grad courses if they are Bcomm nothing else is transferrable. $1250 per course total bill around 25k. I have lots of info at home so if you have more questions I can look it up when I am there.

liquid1010
11-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm doing my degree in something other than Managment... does that make the entrance any more difficult? They take the GPA of my last 20 courses? and then my GMAT and work experiance......

freeeked
11-06-2003, 04:52 PM
From what I heard it doesn't matter what your undergrad degree is in. They do not give preferential treatment to BComm. They look at the combination of GMAT, GPa and work experience. From what I undertand the program was not full this year so there is a good chance you will get in.

freeeked
11-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by JustinL
I'm looking to start in September as well here at the UofA. I've gotten addicted to financial independance, so I'll be going through the part time program. I'm writing my GMAT in 3 weeks...

How are you prepariing for the GMAT? How far in advance did you sign up for the test?

Shaolin
11-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Well from the looks of things I might push back my MBA plans for another 2 years.. I'll have the experience by then, and I think I'm going to take my CMA before I take the MBA.. so I'll probably do the MBA in about 4 years. Thanx for all the feedback though.

pinoyhero
11-06-2003, 10:46 PM
You do not have to have a 3.0, it is desired by the admission comittee but not a frim requirement. I believe the work experience is more important. They may count some part time or coop work you have previously done though. Even then the 3 year time frame is not set in stone. The worst thing that could happen if you apply is that they say no. For 60 bucks I would give it a shot.

Shaolin
11-06-2003, 11:00 PM
I'll definitely apply for it, but I think it's more practical/logical to go for my CMA before the MBA.. I also heard today that if you have your CMA, it's a backdoor to get into the MBA without having a good gpa.. anyone know more about that?

pinoyhero
11-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
I'll definitely apply for it, but I think it's more practical/logical to go for my CMA before the MBA.. I also heard today that if you have your CMA, it's a backdoor to get into the MBA without having a good gpa.. anyone know more about that?

In a way your right. The U considers things like the CA, CMA, CGA and CFA when reviewing your application. Its not a garuntee but it won't hurt that' for sure. Good luck.

lint
11-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Check the Oct 27 edition of Canadian Business. They have a review of all the Canadian MBA programs, including costs, demographics and a brief blurb about each one.

kaput
11-07-2003, 07:16 PM

lint
11-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Where can I get that magazine? Or is that information available on a website somewhere too?

Just go to any larger magazine store, you'll find it.
people too lazy to do a search click here (http://www.canadianbusiness.com/homepage/index.jsp)

YCB
11-07-2003, 10:47 PM
u can work for fed ex... "so easy even a MBA can do it".. haha j/k man..

Si_FlyGuy
11-19-2003, 07:25 PM
The CMA program will require min marks of 74% to get in next year anyway. So your GPA'll be above 3 for sure...

What I want to know is funding for this program - since I've pretty much maxed out my credit getting my BComm. How easy is it to get.

Shaolin
11-20-2003, 12:07 AM
and if your mark is below a 74 what happens?

Si_FlyGuy
11-20-2003, 12:21 AM
You don't get accepted. There are also some courses that you have to take. Go look at the CMA website for more info. The CA's will still be admitting folks with 67% and above I believe, so that's another option....but totally different career routes though.

Shaolin
11-20-2003, 12:23 AM
I don't want to go with a CA, number crunching 8 hours a day is not my thing.. I'll contact the CMA reps and ask them about admission criterias. thanx.

Shaolin
11-20-2003, 12:51 AM
just did some digging.. it's a guaranteed if you get a 74 in the required courses, but if you're below you just have to be more competitive in applications and other terms and conditions..

Weapon_R
11-20-2003, 01:19 AM
Do you have to have a Bcomm to enter into the CA program?

Shaolin
11-20-2003, 01:31 AM
yeah

edit: you also need to do 36 months of articling in a CA firm.

Si_FlyGuy
11-20-2003, 02:14 AM
CA's generally get paid more than CMA/CGA's....but CMA/CGAs also tend to have a better understanding of how to run a company since they learn to see the company from the inside out/rather than an outside in perspective.

As far as I've been told by the CMA reps, they are extremely strict on the entry guidelines because of the number of applicants.

36 months of articling in a CA firm isn't that bad, it's just finding a CA firm to sponsor you if you don't have great marks. Although CA's generally make more money, they also spend roughly 60-70 hours a week in their first two years (salary about $30k), compared to 50-60 hours for CMA and CGA's. It's just that CA work is generally more monotonous. If I had the marks, I would've gone for the CA for sure!

Weapon R....you do require a BComm with an Accounting major to enter CA/CMA since they have specific course requirements.

Shaolin
11-20-2003, 08:52 AM
yeah i figured they'd be strict since everyone's trying to get into it.. I'll keep that in mind when I take those required courses next semester.

RiCE-DaDDy
11-20-2003, 03:42 PM
i suggest ppl looking at sites like www.mbainfo.com
or www.mba.com/mba

im thinking of gettin an mba elsewhere than calgary