PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a film SLR

ubernewb
08-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Im kinda getting into photography but just be experimenting and playing around with DSLRs for a couple years now. I was wondering if i can get any advice on a buying a film SLR. I was looking to just get something used of kijiji. Thanks in advance.

qbnb
08-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm actually curious about much the same thing. I had a chance to play with a entry level DSLR while travelling and I loved the flexibility and difference it made in the photos (especially over my point & shoot).
Being that I'm a broke-ass I can't quite justify the cost of a new DSLR so I too was thinking that a used film SLR might just be the next best bet.
So like the OP I'm just looking for a little advice; mainly what brands/models to look for, any accessories that might be required, what would be an average price point and where else I can gather information.
Being that Beyond has so many photographers, it's obvious this is a good place to start.
Thanks in advance and hopefully my post was more of a help than a hijack.
:hijack:

KKY
08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Which DSLR do you have? are you looking to use the lenses you have on the film SLR? or are you thinking of starting from scratch? Do you have any preferred brand/model? Do you want something full manual full mechanic? or something with more electronics? Is metering necessary?

I keep my eyes on kijiji from time to time. I don't think there's anything particularly interesting at the moment. People tend to over price film cameras on there. But there are the odd times where you can find really great deals.

Edit:
I just remembered I'm selling a Minolta! Interested? :D

ubernewb
08-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Well atm I have a D60 and I'm looking for a brand new start but used camera haha

FiveFreshFish
08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Get a full manual camera like the Canon F1, Nikon F2 or Nikon FM/FM2. They're old mechanical cameras (i.e. not electronic), probably older than you but they're built to last forever. If you consider an automatic camera, make sure it has full manual mode.

All my film cameras range in age from 30 to 44. Here are a couple of them.

http://i30.tinypic.com/169qio7.jpg

KKY
08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm going to assume you have the Nikon D60 as oppose to the old canon. I have yet to own a Nikon slr and not too familiar with the Nikon mount system, but I believe you can use old Nikon lenses on your D60. So you may want to look in that direction.

However if you want to start fresh and not too picky, your choices are abundant. Try looking on ebay. Even if you don't like buying there, you can get a good sense of what's available and at what kind of price range.

ubernewb
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I saw a canon eos ii on kijiji and advice?

KKY
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
the elan ii? you can get one for $50 on ebay shipped.

the elan ii is not bad of a camera. I have a elan 7n and quite like it.

ubernewb
08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Minolta-x-700-35mm-SLR-Camera-plus-accessories-W0QQAdIdZ148182036

For $100 its worth a shot, but how would finding lenses for it be?

The Wanderer
08-11-2009, 08:59 PM
For those looking for old film cameras...

I have 4 nikons for "sale"

Unfortunately I have NO idea what they are worth or what condition they are really in. They where bought in order to get the lenses people where selling with them. I have never personally used any of them.

If someone gives me cash for one I will waranty it for 1 mth because of above info. Warranty (in this instance) means cash back if it does not work properly. If you trade me something and I still have it I will return that if the camera does not work.

If anyone know what a fair market value for them is please let me know. If not those who want any of them can make me an offer.

unless someone tells me any of these are actually worth alot... pretty well any offer would be accepted if you are actually gonna use them.

I am also willing to take stuff in trade including crown royal (I'm not much of a beer drinker).

Caneras are

Nikon N60

2 x Nikon F801 1 Left

and

Nikon no model number serial number fe 3811085 Sold

Edit for Typo on the F801s and for tentative sale on the FE

Edit FE sold and 1 F801 goign to a friend

KKY
08-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by ubernewb
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Minolta-x-700-35mm-SLR-Camera-plus-accessories-W0QQAdIdZ148182036

For $100 its worth a shot, but how would finding lenses for it be?
he's also on beyond. :D
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/274534/fs-minolta-x-700-35mm-slr-camera-plus-accessories/

Lots of old minolta lenses on ebay.

I see a few nikon's just got posted on kijiji.

FiveFreshFish
08-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by The Wanderer

If anyone know what a fair market value for them is please let me know.

Check on ebay for completed auctions. That should give you a ballpark figure.

flipstah
08-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd just look around flea markets, thrift stores etc.

I started with a Konica AutoReflex TC (still do!) and I love using film for everything! My G10 is just for quick shots and such but I use film for everything else.

I have the AutoReflex, the first camera to utilize Auto Exposure ('65 FTW!), a Canonet QL17 GIII, a Yashica A TLR, the TC and a huge stack of glass.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_0742.jpg

Haven't updated it yet but you get the gist of it.

If you want to see a huge stash of inventory, I'd hit Photoworld (http://timinganddelivery.com/calgary/photoworld)

:thumbsup:

KKY
08-13-2009, 12:03 AM
I still haven't had the chance to visit photoworld... Last time I left a message on their voice mail, they never called back.

ubernewb
08-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know where i can get a classic film camera be fixed or cleaned, a friend has a olympus om-2n she would like to try out

flipstah
08-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Alta Camera. They fixed my AutoReflex when the shutter jammed and only activates when you twist the lens.

They're behind the Calgary Tower if that helps in terms of location.

Originally posted by ubernewb
Does anyone know where i can get a classic film camera be fixed or cleaned, a friend has a olympus om-2n she would like to try out