PDA

View Full Version : How does insurance work for local car purchase?

Eken9
08-11-2009, 11:29 PM
How does insurance work for local car purchase?

I've never really understood this. Are you covered for a certain amount of time on your new used vehicle purchase with your existing policy?

I've always just taken off my existing plate to use. I also of course take My current insurance & bill of sale.

I then use the plates and papers to drive to get it inspected, work done and registered before getting insurance.

I've never been pull over in the process or any accidents ( knock on wood) but I'm just wondering if I'm doing this properly ?

Thanks in advance,

SOAB
08-12-2009, 08:26 AM
no you're not.

you always have to have insurance for that particular vehicle you're driving. there is no "grace period" with insurance.

also, how do you get it registered without having insurance first?

adam c
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
how do they give you the car without proof of insurance unless you're doing a private sale?

ExtraSlow
08-12-2009, 08:55 AM
You phone your insurance company with the VIN number, and they fax the pink slip to you, the registry or the dealer. It takes ten minutes.

tom_9109
08-12-2009, 09:03 AM
There is a coverage is the Alberta Auto policy that will cover a 'newly acquired automobile' for a short period of time. It will cover it to the least amount of coverage you have for any given vehicle you own. Few stipulations are that every vehicle you own must be insured and all must be insured with the same company. So you you will technically be insured.

However, if you get pulled over an officer might not understand and you could still get a ticket for driving without insurance and have the car towed.

Best best is take ExtraSlows advice and call the car in. Safest bet.

Eken9
08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
no you're not.

you always have to have insurance for that particular vehicle you're driving. there is no "grace period" with insurance.

also, how do you get it registered without having insurance first?

Sorry, I actually got that mixed up. Insurance then registration, you're right.

Eken9
08-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
There is a coverage is the Alberta Auto policy that will cover a 'newly acquired automobile' for a short period of time. It will cover it to the least amount of coverage you have for any given vehicle you own. Few stipulations are that every vehicle you own must be insured and all must be insured with the same company. So you you will technically be insured.

However, if you get pulled over an officer might not understand and you could still get a ticket for driving without insurance and have the car towed.

Best best is take ExtraSlows advice and call the car in. Safest bet.

Yeah, I was reading the older threads on beyond and there were posts similiar to this one. Some stated you had 14 days, some less. But pretty much what you said.

Some members said in another thread if an officer does pull you over, just have your bill of sale with existing insurance. Member also said you're able to print off the law that says this, but this link was dead.

Just confused that's all.

Supa Dexta
08-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by adam c
how do they give you the car without proof of insurance unless you're doing a private sale?

I've never even had a dealer ask me anything about insurance when getting a new car.

adam c
08-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

I've never even had a dealer ask me anything about insurance when getting a new car.

really? the last 2 cars i bought i had to show them the insurance before taking possesion

Supa Dexta
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
In the past I've always done the paper work, walked out, threw my old plate on and went home. But I'm gangster like that :dunno:

Or don't even put a plate on, and when a cop asks where it is, say it's in the trunk, and thats where he'll be too, if he doesn't leave you alone.