PDA

View Full Version : Question about GS400

PAV
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi,

My dad asked me to sell his Lexus GS 400 for him.

It is a '98, with all service being done though Lexus. It runs very smoothly, and has been mostly highway driven, with 230K on it. It had a new paint coat a few years ago as well.

I am posting it for $12 900, but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on if this was too high/too low, as I am really not quite sure what its worth. I looked up the black book value, but it seemed too low considering the car.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks!

Neil4Speed
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
These cars are a great amount of car for the money, but unfortunately they now go for around the $9k range - the mileage on yours is holding you back from getting anything too much higher. I saw a GS430 (2001) for aboutg $13.5k last month to give you a better gauge.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Lexus-98-Lexus-GS400-W0QQAdIdZ145934224 (for reference, lower mileage, second set of wheels, and more desirable color)

realazy
08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
The issue with used luxury cars is that the maintenance cost remains the same. You may be able to buy an 10 year old $70 000 car for $10 000, but you are still paying the maintenance cost of a $70 000 car.

The market for used luxury vehicles is small and most people that really want the luxury would not buy something that old. That's why the depreciation on them are so much. Smaller entry level luxury cars are the exception like the 3 series and IS because of the younger kids wanting them.

I'd say your dad's car is a little overpriced with 230k kms, and it's red which is usually less desirable. I would leave it and see if there's any offers, and as Neil4Speed showed, there are more desirable examples for less on the market.

Godfuader
08-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I think that the Red (Cinnabar Pearl) is the best color for the GS. Its a great car for a great price, but like previously mentioned...just because its affordable to buy, does not really mean it will be affordable to maintain for potential buyers. Good luck.

Kloubek
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Personally, I think you are trying to sell it too high, due to the mileage. But who knows - someone might want to take it anyway. Once a car rolls over 200k, it looks really bad... even if the vehicle is well built as Lexus is.

Is it WORTH the price you have it posted at? Yes. These are surprisingly fast cars with very solid build quality and nice luxury finishes. But as has been mentioned, sport luxury vehicles do not retain their value well...

Neil4Speed
08-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Is it WORTH the price you have it posted at? Yes. These are surprisingly fast cars with very solid build quality and nice luxury finishes. But as has been mentioned, sport luxury vehicles do not retain their value well...

Agreed. Until the C43 came around I believe this was the fastest sedan in the world 0-60. 300hp, 310tq. I am sure that everyone wouldn't share my sentiment but if you buy a good quality used car the maintenance is about the same as any other car. Its not like the GS400 would need any other basic maintenance outside of brakes, filters, fluids etc which all cars have, if you source the parts out online and take it to a local mechanic rates are pretty reasonable. As long as you drive the car in a reasonable manner (ie. No NOS slash being a drift queen/driving over curbs), unexpected repairs should be far and in between. I would take this car any day over a 2-3 year old Cobalt.

PAV
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

It is a great car, and it is sad to see it have to go for so little. I would take it if I could. I dropped it to 11 900 OBO, and will see what bites.

Thanks again!

garyb
08-12-2009, 03:46 PM
If i was selling a GS-lex, i would make sure the buyer was wearing nordica sweats with some fresh gortex. just my 2 cents

TorqueDog
08-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Until the C43 came around I believe this was the fastest sedan in the world 0-60. 300hp, 310tq.1998 Jaguar XJR was faster than the 1998 Lexus GS400.

anhsicun
08-13-2009, 10:16 PM
price is pretty high for the milliage, but who knows some one might buy it since thier not many choose from.

also the one posted above is not in the greatest condition, so if i was gonna choose bettween the two i would choose yours if it mint as u said it is. GLWS