PDA

View Full Version : Do-Win Weightlifting Shoes in Canada

lint
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Probably not relevant to most, but for those looking for weightlifting shoes, Power Firm (www.weightliftingshoes.ca) is now carrying Do-win models from China. These have been very well reviewed for performance and price, with companies out of the US selling branded versions (Pendlay and Rogue). $125 shipped in Canada.

They are a small business out of Winnipeg and dealing with Joe was awesome. Emails were replied to immediately, instructions on how to order were very clear. I ordered on Saturday and sent payment via EMT, he shipped right away and I got my shoes yesterday! Not only that, because Joe thought I might be in between sizes, he sent me two pairs to try so that I could train right away without having to ship back a pair and wait for an exchange in case that the shoe didn't fit. I just had to agree to cover the return shipping for the pair that I didn't buy (~$10).

Just had a quick clean workout yesterday and threw in some front squats. Very solid base for pushing off, and the 1" elevated heel is enough to allow me to get into a better bottom position. Can't wait to put them through their paces on a more intense squat workout.

If anyone is looking for weightlifting shoes, contact Joe. You won't be dissappointed.

TurboD
09-09-2009, 09:18 PM
how much weight do you squat/dead?

do you compete?

lint
09-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
how much weight do you squat/dead?

do you compete?

My lifts are irrelevant to this thread.

You don't need to compete to get proper weightlifting shoes

TurboD
09-18-2009, 10:37 AM
i wasn't calling you out, it was just a question

i don't think you need to compete to wear weightlifting shoes either, but I was curious if you competed at all

i figured i would help the thread out with a reply since it was sinking like a rock.

lint
09-18-2009, 11:16 AM
If this thread dies, so be it. It was more of an FYI as there has been some discussion about shoes before. But I know that most here either a) haven't heard of weightlifting shoes and/or b) don't think shoes matter.

TurboD
09-18-2009, 04:25 PM
in your initial post you said this:

Probably not relevant to most

who exactly do you think its relevant to?
and why would you think its not relevant to most body builders/weight trainers?

or are you saying that people that aren't educated enough to know the uses of the shoes wouldn't be interested?

that's the reason i asked what level of weight trainer you are because you made it sound like only the elitist power lifter would be interested in these shoes.

otherwise you would have said something like, "if you do squats and dead lifts you should look into these shoes, and here are the reasons why"

its kinda like if you were to post up about how much you are enjoying your full race slicks on your car and are getting great launches because of them, the logical followup question would be, are you involved in auto racing?
because it would seem almost pointless to use a purpose built tool if you are just practicing your launches on an abandoned road rather than at least racing in a recreational race.

and i would argue that dead lifts are 99.9% strength/form and .1% equipment.

so you must be quite serious about power lifting if you are looking to gain in that 1% category

i'm a bit stressed out from work today so don't take the post personally.

lint
09-26-2009, 10:19 PM
in your initial post you said this:

Probably not relevant to most

who exactly do you think its relevant to?
and why would you think its not relevant to most body builders/weight trainers?

You need to learn to read. This is what I posted:

Originally posted by lint
Probably not relevant to most, but for those looking for weightlifting shoes

or are you saying that people that aren't educated enough to know the uses of the shoes wouldn't be interested?

Do you know what a weightlifting shoe is? What it's used for? No. Guess what? You're not educated, this thread isn't for you. As I posted, this thread is for people looking for weightlifting shoes. This is not a thread about why you need them or what they're for or to convince anyone to use them. Again, learn to read.

that's the reason i asked what level of weight trainer you are because you made it sound like only the elitist power lifter would be interested in these shoes.

WTF? Do you know the difference between weightlifting, and weight lifting? Or weightlifting and power lifting? Didn't think so.

otherwise you would have said something like, "if you do squats and dead lifts you should look into these shoes, and here are the reasons why"

If your comprehension was better, you'd know that wasn't the point of this thread. I'm not telling anyone what footwear they should wear when they do something. I'm telling those who are looking for weightlifting shoes about a great experience I had with a Canadian reseller of well reviewed shoes.

its kinda like if you were to post up about how much you are enjoying your full race slicks on your car and are getting great launches because of them, the logical followup question would be, are you involved in auto racing?
because it would seem almost pointless to use a purpose built tool if you are just practicing your launches on an abandoned road rather than at least racing in a recreational race.

Again, WTF?

and i would argue that dead lifts are 99.9% strength/form and .1% equipment.

so you must be quite serious about power lifting if you are looking to gain in that 1% category

i'm a bit stressed out from work today so don't take the post personally.

1) I don't give a shit what you'd argue
2) Because weightlifting shoes aren't for deadlifts
3) And weightlifting != power lifting
4) You can't figure out the difference between 0.1% and 1%
5) Take your know-it-all posts and get the fuck out of my thread. THIS THREAD ISN'T FOR YOU

TurboD
09-26-2009, 10:30 PM
whoa, easy fella

LKL
10-16-2009, 04:56 AM
rather wear chucks

lint
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by LKL
rather wear chucks

That's nice. This post isn't for you either since you're not looking for weightlifting shoes.

max_boost
10-16-2009, 09:29 AM
whoa, easy fella

You might be stressed out from work and that sucks on a Friday but pick a different battle. You do not want to engage master lint. haha

Pahnda
10-16-2009, 09:52 AM
What if my mother's friend's daughter's husband is looking for weightlifting shoes, can I read the thread then?

lint
10-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Pahnda
What if my mother's friend's daughter's husband is looking for weightlifting shoes, can I read the thread then?

Your mother's friend's daughter's husband can read the thread. You should go play with TurboD.

kutt3r
10-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Well now that this thread has gone to trash...

Lint, there are two models listed (A & B) which did you get, it looks like the difference is between the heel, but I am not sure.

Lint, how do you squat? Narrow or Wide, I am guessing that this would not help a ton with squatting wide, I just don't know a ton about the shoes. I see more guys that are IPF style lifters that use the shoes vs. wide squatters.

Thanks in advance.

A790
10-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Seriously, how the fuck does lint get flamed for making a thread about shoes?

Stay on topic please.

lint
10-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r
Well now that this thread has gone to trash...

Lint, there are two models listed (A & B) which did you get, it looks like the difference is between the heel, but I am not sure.

Lint, how do you squat? Narrow or Wide, I am guessing that this would not help a ton with squatting wide, I just don't know a ton about the shoes. I see more guys that are IPF style lifters that use the shoes vs. wide squatters.

Thanks in advance.

Neither. The model A and B are the old models. The do wins are the ones at the top. I went with the white/red dual strap. From the info I've gathered, all do win models have an effective heel height of 3/4". Total heel height is 1.5", with the forefoot being 3/4".

I don't squat wide. Even when I did low bar, I was slightly wider than shoulder. I do high bar now, along with front squats. The extra 3/4" heel height really helps posture on front/hb squats and allows me to drop into the hole with a vertical back. And they're a big help for the catch on cleans and the snatch.

Unless you have terrible ankle flexibility, I don't think they would help as much squatting wide/low bar. Can't say I've seen any powerlifters use them.

lint
10-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by A790
Seriously, how the fuck does lint get flamed for making a thread about shoes?

Stay on topic please.

TurboD is the know it all troll of the health and fitness section.

kutt3r
10-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Neither. The model A and B are the old models. The do wins are the ones at the top. I went with the white/red dual strap. From the info I've gathered, all do win models have an effective heel height of 3/4". Total heel height is 1.5", with the forefoot being 3/4".

I don't squat wide. Even when I did low bar, I was slightly wider than shoulder. I do high bar now, along with front squats. The extra 3/4" heel height really helps posture on front/hb squats and allows me to drop into the hole with a vertical back. And they're a big help for the catch on cleans and the snatch.

Unless you have terrible ankle flexibility, I don't think they would help as much squatting wide/low bar. Can't say I've seen any powerlifters use them.

cheers!

KRyn
03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
BUMP!

lint how are your shoes holding up to date, are you still happy with the purchase? I am looking to order a pair of shoes in the next week or two.

chkolny541
03-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Your mother's friend's daughter's husband can read the thread. You should go play with TurboD.
hahaha i fucking lol'd

lint
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
BUMP!

lint how are your shoes holding up to date, are you still happy with the purchase? I am looking to order a pair of shoes in the next week or two.

They're holding up great, no issues at all. Still very happy with them and as I said before you will not be disappointed with Joe's service.

KRyn
03-28-2010, 09:03 PM

They're holding up great, no issues at all. Still very happy with them and as I said before you will not be disappointed with Joe's service.

Thanks for the quick reply, going to place my order after I figure out what size I need.

On a side note do you do any sprinting lint, or anyone else? If so, do you have any suggestions for cleats?

lint
03-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I avoid all forms of running if I can

liquidboi69
04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm wanting to get some shoes for squatting (PL squats.) I've read that the 1inch heel is more suited for OLY squats more so than PL squats.

Can anyone verify this? Does anyone know any good PL squatting shoes for shoulder width squatters?

I know people say that chucks are good for wide, and raised heel is good for shoulder width and narrower. But does anyone know the optimal heel height for PL narrow style squatting? Mark Ripptoe recommends 1/2 inch heels. Does anyone know of any 1/2 inch squatting shoes?

lint
04-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Rip recommends them because he sells a line of them through Rogue:
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/startingstrength_rips.php

I think how much benefit you get also depends on your flexibility and anthropomorphy, NOT just on heel height alone.

The reason I went with lifting shoes was for front squats. Without the shoes, my ankle flexibility really limited my ability to get into a good rack position on front squats. The added heel height really helps with keeping the back vertical. A vert back isn't as integral for a back squat (hb, lw, pl, etc) imo and if you can get depth already, I don't think you'd get that much more out of shoes.

liquidboi69
08-06-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm bumping this thread because Rogue is carrying the Nike Romaleos (Nike's Beijing olympic shoes.) Which I thought were not being made anymore

They look pretty awesmoe
http://board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2410&d=1220142477
http://board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2414&d=1220142557
http://board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2419&d=1220142653

Apparently they even come with two insoles. One for training, and one for comp (which is harder.) Guys I train with were looking everywhere for these, and I guess Rogue got their hands on some.

http://www.roguecanada.ca/store/nike_romaleo.php For anyone interested.

lint
08-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Nice! Reviews on the Romaleos are stellar. Checking into Rogue's FB page, these have been made specifically for them. They're not new old stock, they're 2010 models.

max_boost
08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Those shoes from Rogue are pimp but cost $200! Damn! That's 4 pairs of Chucks! lol

Would you say the shoes are a must have when the weights get heavier (intermediate to advanced numbers) or can a noob benefit from them? Or is it a marginal difference right now?

Oz-
11-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I am in the market for a pair of these shoes. For the past day or two, I have been going back and forth with Joe on a pair that might fit my wide feet.

He is mailing out 2 pairs for me to try and I ship one or both back if they don't work out. I haven't received anything yet and already impressed with his customer service.

lint
11-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah Joe's service is awesome! I have wide feet too, and had no problems with the Do-Wins.

Those Romaleos still tempt me

Oz-
11-10-2010, 06:44 AM
First time using lifting shoes like this and what a difference. We have been working on getting the technique down for a power clean. What a difference, the ability to get into the set position and get the weight shift from heel to toe during the movement is much easier with these shoes.

I have wide feet....EEE wide. There is no issue for fitting on these things. If anyone is interested in a size 11.5 let me know in the next day or two. Otherwise I will be shipping these back.

liquidboi69
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Just some IMPORTANT info about heel height for anyone considering squat shoes (especially from WeightliftingShoes.ca)

EFFECTIVE HEEL HEIGHT = height at back - height at front.

I have two pairs:

Old Polish Power Firm Shoes (Model A - Blue): effective heel height of 0.75"

New(?) Do-Wins (Model A now sold off Power Firm): effective heel height of 1" (some say 1.5")

When considering heel height, you should look at what you will be doing with them, and your height and build.
The more heel height, the more it seems to emphasize your quads and make you stay upright. However, after a certain amount of heel, it almost completely takes the posterior chain out (something to consider.) You will however be more upright. It also puts you at a more knee forward position for pulling off the floor which may not be desired.

I personally try to balance the amount quad and posterior chain use. I'm 5'8" and the Model A Do-Wins seems way too much quad for me...and almost no posterior chain. The old powerfirms with 3/4" heels seemed like the perfect balance, and Chucks seemed like it's all posterior chain. This is all personal preference, but it is important that this is considered when buying shoes, as it will change muscle development emphasis and recruitment.

Joe from PowerFirm has told me that:
Model A/C/D: 1" (effective)
Model B/E: 7/8"
Model F/old powerfirm shoes/Rogue Do-Wins: 3/4".

3/4" is not only my personal preference for backsquatting, but it seems to be the best compromise for pulling off the floor as well. IMO 1.25" to 1.5" is overkill for anyone below 6'.

I thought the Do-Win shoes I bought would be 3/4" when I bought them...but they are clearly higher than my old Polish Powerfirms. Just a heads up for anyone that may be expecting all Do-Wins to be 3/4" (Rogue and NEW Do-Wins moved to 3/4". Seems to be the standard, but you should check as some companies/models have more.)

KRyn
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Nice! Reviews on the Romaleos are stellar. Checking into Rogue's FB page, these have been made specifically for them. They're not new old stock, they're 2010 models.

Well I finally bought a pair of shoes and ended up with the Romaleos. I have never used another pair so I don't have anything to compare them against but wow! Squatting in these is like squatting with your feet in concrete blocks. This is both good and bad. They feel rock solid on your feet, however once you have walked out a squat you better have your feet in the correct place because moving them or attempting to toe out is nearly impossible. I find I reach squat depth quicker and apparently my squat looks better (form wise). The shoes are comfortable and come with two pairs of soles. A very hard pair for competitions and a softer pair for training. The shoes look amazing and fit very well. I sized them a half size smaller than usual for a tight fit. Hopefully they last me a long time as they did cost $200.00. The service from Rogue Fitness was top notch and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again in the future. Hopefully I get a chance to perform some snatches, cleans and jeks in them soon. I have a good feeling they will shine for their intended purpose. Being my first pair I am still familiarizing my self with them. I am squatting slightly narrower with less toe angel, as such my hips and knees where a little sore after a 7x3 in them for their inaugural use. After a month or so I will update this thread on how I feel about them!

scboss
10-05-2011, 12:14 AM
yeah lmk i currently oly lift in chucks. Looking for some new gear

KRyn
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by warcaster
yeah lmk i currently oly lift in chucks. Looking for some new gear

The shoes are amazing. Talking to a number of my friends who have been performing Olympic lifts for some time the general consensus is that the Romaleos is the best shoe currently on the market. That said with the 2012 Olympics soon coming up a newly designed shoe will be put on the market by both Addidas and Nike. If you can wait until then to purchase new squat shoes I would. The price of all older models will hopefully come down and I am sure the new models will be stellar!