08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
So everyone loved band of brothers, but no interest in this?:dunno:

GQBalla
08-18-2009, 09:48 AM
looks good,

band of brothers was also amazing

sexualbanana
08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I just saw the commercial for it the other night. Looks amazing, I can't wait for it.

l/l/rX
08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
kind of a repost...except the other thread has a dead link to the preview

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/268968/the-pacific-hbo/

dezmarez
08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
this has been in the works forever
i cant wait!!

Trini
08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
looks good..I love these WWII movies

n1zm0
08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
+1^ the pacific campaign especially doesnt get it's time in the spotlight for ww2 movies.

kokoda, to end all wars and letters from iwo jima were the only pacific ww2 movies i enjoyed, stuff like wind talkers = :thumbsdow .

Vagabond142
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
This Sunday!

smoNSbMs9Yo

DTTB_36
03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
looks sick

Vagabond142
03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
It's supposed to be even more personal and more intense than B.O.B. was o_O I am really looking forward to (downloading) it :D

I don't have HBO <_<

JAYMEZ
03-11-2010, 12:45 PM
How much is it for HBO lol.. I think I want to get it just for this.

Kloubek
03-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Looks great.

For those who haven't seen it, "generation kill" is another great miniseries.

Vagabond142
03-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Isn't Shaw $7.99 per solo digital HD channel per month or something? I really don't know, their website is a mess trying to find solo pricing o_O

dezmarez
03-15-2010, 10:57 AM
What did everyone think?

Hakkola
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/60191

http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/60200 720p

You have to open the ninjavideo helper then refresh the page for it to work.

l/l/rX
03-15-2010, 11:07 AM
i liked it a lot!!! Can't wait till next week!

Anomaly
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
i liked it a lot!!! Can't wait till next week!

x2

I was surprised just how quick the story moved, band of brothers started out quite slower.

Hakkola
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah, pretty amazing, not sure if it will be as good as Generation Kill, but I'm liking it so far.

dj_rice
03-15-2010, 12:28 PM
:) will check this out after work

dezmarez
03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Anomaly

x2

I was surprised just how quick the story moved, band of brothers started out quite slower.

My thoughts exactly...

band of brothers it was the first 2 episodes that went over all their training, and establishing their bonds and relationships with each other

mac_82
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Through Shaw it's $18.95 per month or $16 when bundled with Digital TV.

I would say 90% of the shows I watch and 20% of the movies are through Movie Central/HBO Canada.

- The Pacific
- Entourage
- True Blood
- Dexter
- Nurse Jackie
- How to make it in America
- Californication
- Spartacus: Blood and Sand
- Bored to Death
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Hung

Wow now that I list them out those are a lot of shows :nut:.

jonnycat
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Aw man, I thought part 2 was on tonight. Good show though, can't wait for next episode

Crymson
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Started re-watching BoB in anticipation of this. Pretty excited!

texasnick
03-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Anyone catch last night's episode? All I can say is, WOW!

John Basilone was a pretty serious badass. Pretty sure he killed about 150 Japanese soldiers last night lol.

wintonyk
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
last nights was awesome... just mowing guys down. This series is a lot different in the relationships they develope. The character development isn't nearly there like it was in BoB.

The battle scenes are crazy awesome, but it seems like its just a turkey shoot. I don't know a lot about the pacific front so maybe this is accurate.

dezmarez
03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk
last nights was awesome... just mowing guys down. This series is a lot different in the relationships they develope. The character development isn't nearly there like it was in BoB.

The battle scenes are crazy awesome, but it seems like its just a turkey shoot. I don't know a lot about the pacific front so maybe this is accurate.

That's also what I have found completely different. Very little character development which was the whole premise behind "band of brothers", was the brotherhood that they formed.

And it sounds like it was sort of a turkey shoot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Tenaru

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Henderson_Field

hampstor
03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
:werd:

Not nearly as much character development as BoB thus far - i'm wondering if the reason for that is how many of the main characters will not make it to the end of the series alive.

I dunno about you guys, but im getting this feeling that a lot of them are not going to make it. Things started so quick compared to BoB. It's the 2nd episode in and it felt like i watched the BoB episode 'Bastogne' and "the breaking point".

I've watched BoB probably 10+ times now and I can easily go back and watch any episode and get right back into it. I will say tho - I absolutely love it being commercial free. :bigpimp:

HiTempguy1
03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I dl'd it, it was good!

However, it would be hard to top Generation Kill, that was a sick series.

sexualbanana
03-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk

I don't know much about the war on either side, but from what I had heard and read previously, the Japanese-approach was to basically swarm and overwhelm the enemy lines, which typically meant just throwing everyone they had over the line until they eventually got through. Given the prevalence of Samurai Code and the emergence of kami-kazi pilots, I wouldn't be surprised that it applied to their army troops as well.

texasnick
03-23-2010, 09:44 AM
The airfield at Guadalcanal was key for the Japanese Imperial Navy's eventual plan to attack Australia. The plan was also to disrupt US aid and supplies to Australia and NZ to help keep them out of the war. Because of this and the fact that their Navy dominated the US Navy there, meant that they could supply fresh troops, and a lot of them, to Guadalcanal in hopes to regain the airfield.

They believed that they outnumbered the 1st Marine Division by literally thousands of men, had fresh supplies and food, and figured they could attack the remaining rattled assed US outposts on the island without losing. They probably didn't think twice about swarming the Marines when they had so many more soldiers and supplies to fight.

The Japanese strategy during the war was to win. Plain and simple. Once supplies and men started diminishing, they started to use more drastic measures to do so, hence the guerrilla tactics, snipers and kamikaze pilots. The Japanese mentality always has been that death is more preferable than defeat or dishonor.

You also have to realize that Guadalcanal was the first real US victory over the Japanese army. Up until that point, it was defeat after defeat. They really did not want to lose Guadalcanal.

Edit: Just read that the Japanese lost 25,000 soldiers during the Guadalcanal campaign. :eek:

wintonyk
03-29-2010, 10:09 AM
we talked all about the lack of character developement so far, then they dropped last nights episode on us. During their recovery, a lot of a love story with leckie (sp?)

kinda slows things down in a different way than how BoB picked up with each episode. I dont think I will ever get away from these comparisons

l/l/rX
03-29-2010, 10:32 AM
IMO the fighting in the first 2 eps were no where near as intense as the fighting in BoB.

Spoons
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
IMO the fighting in the first 2 eps were no where near as intense as the fighting in BoB.

I agree. This series seems to be trying to make a story out of it, rather than tell a story through combat, which was exactly why I loved BoB.

In BoB you learnt about the character through battle, which is how they learnt about each other and grew close. This series seems like they are trying too hard.

Still great, but I have my doubts already.

dezmarez
04-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

I agree. This series seems to be trying to make a story out of it, rather than tell a story through combat, which was exactly why I loved BoB.

In BoB you learnt about the character through battle, which is how they learnt about each other and grew close. This series seems like they are trying too hard.

Still great, but I have my doubts already.

agreed...

all i know for sure is after this series is done im going back to watch BOB and Saving Private Ryan haha

Synne
04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
i think its still early on and could easily get better.

l/l/rX
04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
The BIG difference between this and BoB, is that the fighting in BoB was highly strategic. The fighting in the pacific is just a turkey shoot out. The japanese have no offensive strategies such as flanking n all that jazz, its just night time tatics, hoping they can over run the americans with sheer numbers, face on. Which makes the action scenes super boring.

kevie88
04-04-2010, 11:13 PM
I was hoping they were going to have a bit more air battles/navy battles then they have been showing.. Maybe we'll get to see some more of that later in the series.

DJ Lazy
04-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
:werd:

Not nearly as much character development as BoB thus far - i'm wondering if the reason for that is how many of the main characters will not make it to the end of the series alive.

I dunno about you guys, but im getting this feeling that a lot of them are not going to make it. Things started so quick compared to BoB. It's the 2nd episode in and it felt like i watched the BoB episode 'Bastogne' and &quot;the breaking point&quot;.

I've watched BoB probably 10+ times now and I can easily go back and watch any episode and get right back into it.

This is exactly how feel... The Pacific really lacks the character development... and is the reason why I stopped watching after Episode 1..

Martigan
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

This is exactly how feel... The Pacific really lacks the character development... and is the reason why I stopped watching after Episode 1..

If you quit watching after episode 1, I don't know what to tell you. They have spent the past few weeks really developing a few of the characters.

Hakkola
04-11-2010, 11:38 PM
LOL, this episode has Rufio. I'm pretty sure that's him at least. Anna Torv as well.

Fighting in this episode pretty intense, seems like a 30 min battle scene.

kevie88
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Pretty awesome episode this week (ep 5). The push onto the beach was nuts! :eek:

They sure are covering a lot of time the last few eps, we're already up to 1944...

iCreep
04-19-2010, 02:32 PM
ep 6.

Didnt they know there were bunch of japs in that torn down building? When the navy was doing their pre bombing stuff why didn't they blow that building and like bomb parts of the airfield?

Didn't seem like danger close fire missions were a big deal back then, cuz they called one in on that bunker when they were in the airfield.

edit: and same goes for the previous episode, when they were storming the beach, they know that theres resistance right along the beach area, why dont they bomb the shit out of that part instead of bombing soo far into the island?

HiTempguy1
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by iCreep

Didn't seem like danger close fire missions were a big deal back then, cuz they called one in on that bunker when they were in the airfield.

Its funny you mention danger close, from what I understand, if the bombs that were dropped were within a mile (we are still talkin' WW2 afterall) they were doing pretty decent. I haven't watched the episode yet, so I can't really comment. Even though its a "documentary" doesn't mean its perfectly accurate, right?

l/l/rX
04-25-2010, 11:18 PM
One hell of an emotional episode. :thumbsup:

Synne
04-25-2010, 11:25 PM
i love this show, i really glad they did another one with the whole battle of the pacific after band of brothers.

im really starting to like the characters, took awhile, but it's getting really good and the action scenes are dope.

jsn
04-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

They do develop the characters abit better later on, but so far I really don't think this series comes even close to BoB, at least for me. I liked how in BoB each episode focus' mainly on one soldiers story and is narrated by him. This lets you get more familiar with each soldier. This one seems to focus alot on leckie, which I don't really like as a character. When I was watching BoB, I watched it all in a day or two because I couldn't wait to see what happened in the next episode. The pacific, I really don't care to see what happens next. I might watch the next episode if i'm bored enough.

Orbie
04-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jsn

They do develop the characters abit better later on, but so far I really don't think this series comes even close to BoB, at least for me. I liked how in BoB each episode focus' mainly on one soldiers story and is narrated by him. This lets you get more familiar with each soldier. This one seems to focus alot on leckie, which I don't really like as a character. When I was watching BoB, I watched it all in a day or two because I couldn't wait to see what happened in the next episode. The pacific, I really don't care to see what happens next. I might watch the next episode if i'm bored enough.

Well that's just because of the source material. Band of Brothers was based on the Ambrose book about an entire company through direct interviews and journals etc. So there are lots of individual soldier's stories to draw from. The Pacific is primarily based on two books written by Leckie and Sledge, that's why they're the two main characters and why all the episodes pretty much focus on one or the other, since it's directly from their perspective.

jsn
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Oh that explains it. That's one of the reasons I don't like this show as much. I don't find Leckie to be an interesting character. I know they're in a war, but leckie is always depressing and moody/dull. I didn't find any of the characters in BoB to be dull at all.