PDA

View Full Version : SLK350: Opinions Please

dannie
08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
So, I am thinking about getting another summer car and I have my eye on a couple of SLK350’s. I am debating between a 2005 and a 2006. Both have the exact same options, exact same colors and both are in perfect shape. The difference is that the 2005 has 63,xxx km and the 2006 has 27,xxx km. Both are almost identical in price.

So my questions are as follows:

Opinions on the car itself? If you have had one, pros and cons

Out of the two, which would you go for? And Why?

I will sell the other summer car I have currently. Trading it in is an option with the 2005 version. Not an option with the 2006. Would the ability to trade in the vehicle be a pro or con?

Any suggestions you all have would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Mibz
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Would the ability to trade in the vehicle be a pro or con? Depends on the vehicle, but more than likely a con. It gives you an easy way into a new car and you're more likely to trade it for far less than it's worth if it takes too long to sell privately. You'll become rushed. If you have to sell it privately then you're more likely to get what it's worth and if you do end up selling it for less than you want at least whoever you sell it to gets a deal, not the dealership.

The '06 is clearly a better choice and selling your car privately, if it's even slightly in demand, is a better choice as well. I'd find out what they're willing to give you on a trade and then try to sell it privately for more, and then gradually lower your price until it does sell.

Hakkola
08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Really dude? Identical cars, almost the same price and one has half the mileage and is newer? Answer seems obvious... Sell your car privately and take the lower mileage, you'll be way ahead when it comes to selling the Benz.

Wicked car, enjoy it.

Weapon_R
08-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Has to be a typo. Maybe the 05 has lower km for the issue to be a debatable one?

dannie
08-12-2009, 04:42 PM
^ Nope, I took the 05 out for a test drive this afternoon, kms are correct, price is correct. I am gonna go take the 06 tomorrow or tonite if I can swing it.

I know it seems like an obvious choice to go with the 06, I guess I am hoping for personal opinions on either or in regards to maintenance, issues, 05 is the first year this style came out (I believe... I could be way off on that one)

rage2
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
You'd be an idiot to go for an '05 with more km's for the same price. Why's this even a question? Get the 06!

Skrilla
08-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You'd be an idiot to go for an '05 with more km's for the same price. Why's this even a question? Get the 06!

X2

Xtrema
08-12-2009, 05:37 PM
They didn't up the power until 2008. Unless the 2006 was in an accident, get the 06.

dannie
08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
^ I haven't pulled a report on the 06 yet, I should get on that.

I was hoping to get some personal experiences with the car though. Is there anyone on the forum that owns one?

Another question, it does not have an iPod adapter or aux outlet. Are they near impossible to install on the Mercedes?

FiveFreshFish
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Use the '06 price and km to haggle down the price of the '05.

FiveFreshFish
08-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Another question, it does not have an iPod adapter or aux outlet. Are they near impossible to install on the Mercedes?

It uses the CD changer as your ipod input.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DETEST01&Product_Code=i-mercedes

dannie
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
^ That looks perfect! Thanks!!

benyl
08-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I would suggest you get the 2006. There is likely some warranty left. The 2005 is far less likely to have warranty left.

Lower mileage is always better, especially if the price is close between the two. You will also see a better resale later because of the year designation.

There is a reason why the 2005 is cheaper. It is perceived as older. It also has more than double the mileage.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Get the 2006.

Xtrema
08-13-2009, 12:23 AM
I guess you are comparing the 2 SLK350 on autotrader.ca.

There is something fishy about the 06. It basically has half the mileage of every other SLK listed yet it's the newest and cheapest and it's not a private sell.

A used car dealer selling at black book price? I would check that closely.

dannie
08-13-2009, 12:26 AM
^ yep, the two black ones. One at South center and one at Kulu. I took the one at south center for a spin today, and it was very nice. I spoke to Kulu tonite and am gonna have a peek at it tomorrow morning. Im gonna run a vin check and all that stuff, but yeah, it seems a little too good to be true..... right?

FiveFreshFish
08-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Is the '06 originally a US car?

dannie
08-13-2009, 12:57 AM
^ on the phone he said it was a calgary car....one owner, always services at lone star. He also said that he has it so aggressively priced because he doesnt want it sitting in the show room for the winter.

max_boost
08-13-2009, 03:24 AM
Great cars and a lot of fun to drive around. The sport package 350's are a lot nicer, comes with AMG style aero kit.

Service and maintenance is going to cost money on these cars so don't be surprised when you have to pay up.

Definitely buy the one from Kulu, low mileage, local car with service history. Price is pretty good too.

benyl
08-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I guess you are comparing the 2 SLK350 on autotrader.ca.

There is something fishy about the 06. It basically has half the mileage of every other SLK listed yet it's the newest and cheapest and it's not a private sell.

A used car dealer selling at black book price? I would check that closely.

Something fishy? WTF? Get your head out of your ass.

Kulu specializes in low mileage cars. There is nothing fishy about it at all. He is a straight up guy and would never sell a shit box. His reputation is second to none in the high end car business and wouldn't risk selling a bad SLK350 and ruin his reputation with clients that buy exotics from him. If a car doesn't check out, he won't list it for sale as it would just dirty his name.

A car that typically comes through Kulu's showroom is not a daily driver. Look at the mileage of the cars in the stock list. The SLK is one of the highest mileage cars in stock.

rage2
08-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Ya, definately get the one from Kulu. He mainly sells exotics, thus all the cars he gets are super low mileage. That car most likely came in as a trade-in, and he'd rather sell it cheap than to take up space. All his trade-in's are low mileage and mint, cuz typically his clients own 5 or 6 cars, and they're exotic car guys so they take better care of the cars than your typical owner.

It's pretty rare for Kulu to have something like a SLK350 in stock, so it gets let go for cheap. I bought my E55 off him a few years back, smoking deal because he wanted it out of the showroom to fit more Ferraris haha.

dannie
08-13-2009, 10:51 AM
I am happy to hear lots of good comments about Kulu. I am heading over there in an hour. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the tips and info so far!!

ZorroAMG
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
+10 for Kulu from me as well. Top notch guy.

Xtrema
08-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a good deal then.

dannie
08-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Ok... so heres the update.

I took the one at Kulu for a ride and the one at southcenter.

The one at Kulu is an 06, great condition, kms are correct. The interior doesnt have all the bells and whistles. Manual driver seat, no wood finishing etc.

The one at south center is an 05, great condition, km at 63,xxx but it has every feature that you would think would be standard with a vehicle of this caliber.

Both have a rattle noise in the hardtop. From what I read though, that seems to be common. The one at Kulu has warranty until 2010 and I am waiting to find out if there is warranty remaining on the one at south center.

Opinions?

raymondman
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
These only come in automatic correct?

FiveFreshFish
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
I'd go for the '06. If you're the only driver, you don't need power seats unless they give you an adjustment that the manual seats don't, like height. I'm not a fan of wood trim either.

atgilchrist
08-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Ok... so heres the update.

I took the one at Kulu for a ride and the one at southcenter.

The one at Kulu is an 06, great condition, kms are correct. The interior doesnt have all the bells and whistles. Manual driver seat, no wood finishing etc.

The one at south center is an 05, great condition, km at 63,xxx but it has every feature that you would think would be standard with a vehicle of this caliber.

Both have a rattle noise in the hardtop. From what I read though, that seems to be common. The one at Kulu has warranty until 2010 and I am waiting to find out if there is warranty remaining on the one at south center.

Opinions?

I'd still go with the '06. If you're the only one driving the car, you'll only have to adjust the seat once, and having ~a year's warranty left is a good bonus.

edit: ^ great minds...?

benyl
08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
power seat adds weight.

Wood finish is for old man cars.

This wood matches nothing else in the car. Black on Black should have Black birds eye maple trim.
http://images2.resonanze.com/497/498688/P7090013.JPG

The car at Kulu's has a much nicer interior:
http://www.kulumotorcar.com/imagefile/mercedes2006slk350blkblk6spd6.jpg

dannie
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I agree the black on black looks amazing. I guess I am having a hard time justifying spending 40k on a car that doesnt have all the features that I would think should be standard.

Mibz
08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
I guess I am having a hard time justifying spending 40k on a car that doesnt have all the features that I would think should be standard. Like?

dannie
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I dont know... just a few little things like

Power seats

The seats in the 06 werent molded the same way as the seats in the 05

I would say iPod adapter, but I would have settled for a cd changer. The 6 disc changer is an upgrade that you have to pay for

Soft cover for the hardtop when it is in the trunk instead of a hard shell

Position of the cup holders is pretty shitty

Perhaps I am just being overly picky. I do really love this car. I think it is truly a fantastic vehicle for the price. And considering what else is in this price range for a summer car, I really dont think you could do much better. I had the sc430 and loved it. Had a m3 convert and loved that as well. I suppose I should just shut up and choose one of the two.

Mibz
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Don't ever downplay being picky. I didn't mean to insinuate that you should always put up with things you don't like just cause it's a smokin' deal, I just wanted to know what they were. Seriously though, this is a smokin' deal, you should put up with the things you don't like ;)

dannie
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
^ Oh, no I didnt take it that way. It was actually a good comment. It made me sit and think for a few minutes about what is missing from one to the other.

I think the other thing that I am curious about is if there is warranty left on the 05. If there is, then it will probably come down to the flip of a coin. If there isnt and they cant offer a decent warranty, I will go with the 06 for sure

rage2
08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Cover for the hardtop? Doesn't exist. Beauty of the car is the fact that you can go from coupe to vert by flicking a switch. Covering the top in the trunk would kinda defeat that purpose.

Xtrema
08-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I dont know... just a few little things like

Power seats

I would say iPod adapter, but I would have settled for a cd changer. The 6 disc changer is an upgrade that you have to pay for

Position of the cup holders is pretty shitty

Power seats are overrated. I adjusted that only when I clean out my car.

Ipod adapter if you really can't live without one:
http://www.incaripod.com/Vehicle/Mercedes/Mercedes_Dension_Gateway_500_iPod_Car_Adapter

Soft cover for hard top? :dunno:

Cup holder are shitty in European cars except for new Audi's.

BTW, Merc has 4 yr warranties. So the 05 probably has no warranty left. All considered, I will stick with 06.

dannie
08-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Cover for the hardtop? Doesn't exist. Beauty of the car is the fact that you can go from coupe to vert by flicking a switch. Covering the top in the trunk would kinda defeat that purpose.

No no. When the top is down, there is a hard plastic plate that it sits on in the trunk. I think that is part of the contributing factor to the rattling noise in the car. In the Lexus sc430, the hardtop sits on a fabric/mesh thing.

brownboi
08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
i'd say go with the 06
specially with the warrenty left its a good choice.
power seats really arent a major thing if you are the only one who is going to be driving it.
and i personally like the cars better without woodgrain

also as xtrema mentioned the 05 prolly dosnt have any warrenty left because of its age and if you do then prolly only a few months.

ZorroAMG
08-13-2009, 09:11 PM
'06.

blinkme_210
08-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Go with the '06. Lower mileage, newer model year, Kulu reputation & quality is what you're getting in place of the bells & whistles on the '05.

anhsicun
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
i would go with the black on black, the wood grin looks outta place. since it a summer sport cars the black/black interior looks more sporty :).

max_boost
08-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Power seats are over-rated. lol

If you don't buy this one from Kulu you probably won't find another deal like this.

dannie
08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Alright, so I thought it over for the weekend and bought the one at Kulu today. I get to pick her up on Thursday :)

Thanks for all the help and comments guys! I really do appreciate it.

My next big purchase will be the Passport 9500 ci.

JAYMEZ
08-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Kulu Hands down . End of Story.

Edit: Oh haha good choice

rage2
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Alright, so I thought it over for the weekend and bought the one at Kulu today. I get to pick her up on Thursday :)

Thanks for all the help and comments guys! I really do appreciate it.

My next big purchase will be the Passport 9500 ci.
Make sure when you pick the car up on Thursday, you thank Kulu by giving him a nice firm slap on the ass. Thats what all the regular customers do, it's like a secret handshake.

dannie
08-18-2009, 03:27 PM
^ I will be sure to tell him that I have the secret password :) haha

dannie
08-20-2009, 05:17 PM
One final update. I picked up the new car this morning. I love her already. It was, hands down, the best choice I could have made. Renee is stealing her from me on Tuesday evening to do a clean up of the outside, since im such a perfectionist.

So, thanks again everyone for the advice.

rage2
08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Did you do the secret handshake?

dannie
08-20-2009, 05:33 PM
^ Haha, no.... I was too distracted by the Ferrari Enzo that he just got in. Damn thats a nice car.

See?? There I went again. Forgot about my new one :) hahaha.

max_boost
08-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Welcome to the SLK club :D

B4tMan
08-21-2009, 12:41 AM
congratulations Dannie

Do you know the major differences between this 06 SLK 350 and the 06 SLK 55 AMG ?

dannie
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan
congratulations Dannie

Do you know the major differences between this 06 SLK 350 and the 06 SLK 55 AMG ?

The 55 AMG has a panty dryer on the back??

ZorroAMG
08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the new car Dannie...enjoy it!!

Other than the exterior aesthetics, wheels, suspension, engine, brakes, standard equipment list and interior appointments? Not much.

LOL

kenny
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
congratulations Dannie

$35 trunk badge.

FiveFreshFish
08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Congrats. Pics?

dannie
08-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah... sorry, I should have posted a few. Renee is taking her this week for a clean up, I will see if she is willing to take a few and perhaps throw them on her thread about detailing. Otherwise I will take a few once I get the car back from her at the end of the week :thumbsup:

And, for the record.... I LOVE this car. Very fun to drive :)

TorqueDog
08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
I checked out Kulu last weekend, looked at an E55 AMG - very nice showroom, and a nice selection of pretty well kept toys. I was allowed to look around at my own leisure, any questions I had were answered in short order - seems like a place I'd want to buy from.

rage2
08-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I checked out Kulu last weekend, looked at an E55 AMG - very nice showroom, and a nice selection of pretty well kept toys. I was allowed to look around at my own leisure, any questions I had were answered in short order - seems like a place I'd want to buy from.
That E55 is a smoking deal. I was contemplating on picking that up, but ended up choosing something smaller (and Black).

TorqueDog
08-25-2009, 08:28 AM
That E55 is a smoking deal. I was contemplating on picking that up, but ended up choosing something smaller (and Black). It really is - super clean.

But god damn is black an annoying colour to try and maintain.

benyl
08-25-2009, 08:50 AM

That E55 is a smoking deal. I was contemplating on picking that up, but ended up choosing something smaller (and Black).

Isn't the E55 in the showroom Black?

If it wasn't such a grandpa car, I would be all over it... haha

dannie
08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Congrats. Pics?

I put a couple pics up in Renees thread about detailing, here are a couple more:

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy60/dannie_k/IMG_0548.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy60/dannie_k/IMG_0551.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy60/dannie_k/IMG_0542.jpg

^My favorite picture :)

inline6turbo
08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Wow these pictures are much better then the other ones! Glad you like it ma dear! Congrats on your new baby!!

sexualbanana
08-30-2009, 03:21 AM
I bought my E55 off him a few years back, smoking deal because he wanted it out of the showroom to fit more Ferraris haha.

Not a bad problem to have. lol