PDA

View Full Version : Car that's good for summer and winter...Opinions

dezmarez
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm looking at getting a car because my winter beater just isn't cutting it year round.
I have a budget between 15 and 22K and I'm looking for a reliable car that would be good in the winter.
I was originally very interested in getting a IS 300 but after doing some further reading I heard they aren't that great in the winter (if anyone has an IS please let me know). Other options I like are a Volvo S60 AWD, or maybe an older BMW 3 series.

Any opinions would be great!!

Hakkola
08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Pretty much anything with a good set of winter tires, don't bother with awd. I've never had a problem with any of my rwd/fwd cars in the winter. Go with the IS300 and throw some Nokians on that bitch.

chrispl
08-12-2009, 05:56 PM
what about a subaru?
or a volkswagen?

Hatchback Hero
08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
You can drive just about anything I will refer you to a good set of tires.

Originally posted by Hakkola
and throw some Nokians on that bitch.

End of discussion:thumbsup:

Kona9
08-12-2009, 06:16 PM
wrx is a cool, reliable, moddable vehicle that /looks good in all seasons. IMO

SetoJai
08-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Our winters are not that bad.... rwd, awd, fwd all will do great with a good set of snows on. Not having a lead foot in winter helps tons also

Get the one you like best!

DelSoln
08-12-2009, 09:48 PM
The IS300 is fine in the winter. I had Blizzaks on mine and never had a problem.

max_boost
08-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Kona9

Yep. Done.

Ashers
08-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I've driven my Golf TDI with ESP over the last 3 winters. Never had a problem with stopping or getting going, and it's always gone where i\I've told it to go. If I get winter tires over my OEM Michelin All-Seasons, it will do even better :thumbsup:

Kloubek
08-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Personally, if you want to blast through snow in the winter, go with a Subie (already suggested) or Audi.

My Audi had the best AWD system I ever experienced. Heavy, but excellent.

If you are willing to import, you can get a 2004+ S4 up from the States for your price range.

(Plus there is one on here for 23-24 you might be able to dicker a bit)

sputnik
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM

I would go with the Outback for the increased ride height.

hampstor
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM

I know it's your opinion, but i completely disagree on that point. :angel:

dezmarez, what's wrong w/ the is300 you were considering? like everyone said, just throw some winter tires on it and you'll be fine. Don't let RWD frighten you... people have been driving RWD cars with more hp/torque than an IS300 in the winter long before things such as electronic stability control, ABS, and good winter radials came along.

heavyD
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I drove my MR2 over last winter (w/winter tires of course) and never had any issues at all getting around the city. I wasn't confident taking it on the highway during poor conditions though as those cars can get a little tail happy.

2EFNFAST
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Agreed with the above that as long as you have winter tires (decent ones) and don't drive like a jackass, you can drive almost anything.

I know everybody <3s AWD, but I can't begin to count how many I see slammed into the side of the road, from driving like a gigantic jackass.

scat19
08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I hate "I heard RWD suck in winter"

Not if you know how to drive and have proper equipment.

mr2mike
08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by scat19
proper equipment.

Just to add to this. Proper equipment is winter tires with good tread. Studs if needed and weight in the back if you feel you need that for traction.

I drove a 91 Mustang in the winter when I was 17. Studs and sandbags FTW.

The addition of traction control now just helps people who don't know how to start in 2nd gear, feather the gas.

I don't know how many people don't know that once you spin the tires you're done.

Darell_n
08-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Pretty much anything with a good set of winter tires, don't bother with awd.

I always thought the same thing until I bought my Impreza. There's crawling around the city and surviving and then there's driving all winter the exact way I drive in the summer. I also drive my 2wd turbo Dodge in the winter, 600+ hp gets exciting on winter highways.

FiveFreshFish
08-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Golf R32

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2004/volkswagen/jetta-and-golf/05606091990002-480.jpg

Hakkola
08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

I always thought the same thing until I bought my Impreza. There's crawling around the city and surviving and then...

Did you ever get quality tires? I drive my Benz and Bimmer the same way I do in the summer, I couldn't even drift my E-class with studded Nokians in the snow because they're so grippy.

I haven't been stuck in 4 years because I stopped buying shitty winter tires.

mr2mike
08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
4WD with crappy all-seasons is deceiving. You'll drive just fine but stopping and control is another issue. Good winter tires is the only way to go IMO.
Also knowing how your car behaves in snow/ice. Knowing is 1/2 the battle.

bituerbo
08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Keep the winter beater and get a summer car.
If I were to sell my Neon + winters, it wouldn't even cover the cost of good winters for my Audi. Plus you don't have to worry about getting rear-ended in your 'nice' car at a stoplight.

buh_buh
08-14-2009, 11:35 AM
AWD=FUN in winter.
But if you're just looking to get around for the next 11 months and 2 weeks until summer starts, just get some good winters.

dezmarez
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
haha man oh man everyone has such a different opinion!
how much is a good set of winters anyway?
i have always just gone with all seasons because my car is heavy as hell and i have never had any problems in the winter with it.

Hakkola
08-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
AWD=FUN in winter.
But if you're just looking to get around for the next 11 months and 2 weeks until summer starts, just get some good winters.

I know everyone jokes about how shitty our winters are, but we average only 88 days per year with snow on the ground.

nismodrifter
08-14-2009, 10:33 PM

I know everyone jokes about how shitty our winters are, but we average only 88 days per year with snow on the ground.

Werd to this. Calgary is not bad at all. Chinooks come through and clear everything up and you're left with dry roads which remain that way for a month or two. This is when the ballers pull out their 997 Porsches on 20" Techarts in the middle of January and we see all of the "should I switch to SUMMERS??" threads. Winters aren't like they used to be back in the day when we got 20+cm overnight dumps on a regular basis.

If you're in the prairie provinces it's a totally different story. For example...in Saskatoon...when it snows in November/December that shit is 100% guaranteed to STAY on the roads until the end of April. Roads are slick, unplowed, and you could skate your way to work/school.

RWD + winters/FWD + winters should give you little to no problems getting around Calgary.

buh_buh
08-14-2009, 10:42 PM
no, Calgary's not bad at all in terms of snowfall. We just have shitty summers. Most of our winters consist of me debating whether I could drive my car on some arbitrary day, and if I decide I can, the roads are too slick anyway for me to drive fast. All of winter is just a giant tease.

black13
08-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Sorry but the difference between RWD vs FWD/AWD in winter is huge.

Yea if you live on a major street that gets plowed every morning then go ahead you might make it somewhere but if you live on small residential streets that don't get plowed, good luck.

Last year I couldn't even get out of my cul-di-sac which was only a slight uphill. I had to back from my driveway to the neighbours accross and follow that method till I got to the main road two blocks away.

If your area is alot of uphill/downhill then forget RWD. Just get the cheap FWD winter beater and a nice RWD summer car combo or go AWD.

Hakkola
08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by black13
Sorry but the difference between RWD vs FWD/AWD in winter is huge.

Yea if you live on a major street that gets plowed every morning then go ahead you might make it somewhere but if you live on small residential streets that don't get plowed, good luck.

Yeah, I live in Pumphill, on a hill, and it isn't plowed as often as you might think, still, I haven't had a problem in years.

psycoticclown
08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Get a WRX or even an STi. There was one on sale for under $20k on here maybe 2 months back. They'll be way funner in the winter :D

KrisYYC
08-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't buy all this "gotta have winter tires" hype. I think people are really buying into the marketing.

10 years ago nobody had winter tires. I drove a RWD Ford ranger with a stick shift and all seasons from 1996 to 2006 with no problems.

mr2mike
08-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Been on the winter tire thing back in '91. But then again, I live on an acreage with private and public roads that seem to see more snow and don't get plowed as often. Hitting the ditch is a little more than a simple get your neighbours to push you out.
I agree, 90% of the time, I could get away with good tread on all seasons in the city with how much salt and gravel they lay down.

But people on this site specifically all have aftermarket 19" wheels or what not. They don't want them wrecked with gravel chips so they're going to need a second set anyways. Why not go winter tire rather than all season?

atgilchrist
08-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
I don't buy all this &quot;gotta have winter tires&quot; hype. I think people are really buying into the marketing.

10 years ago nobody had winter tires. I drove a RWD Ford ranger with a stick shift and all seasons from 1996 to 2006 with no problems.

In the long run, it doesn't cost you any more. You'll have 2 sets of tires that each get used 1/2 as much. It's just the initial investment that sucks.

DannyO
08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't buy all this &quot;gotta have winter tires&quot; hype. I think people are really buying into the marketing.

I some what agree here, for the longest time I drove around on the cheapest all seasons you can buy on a FWD and apart from one incident, I never had a problem.

I can tell you though, theres a HUGE difference if you got summer tyres, they really don't grip for shit on snow, during winter when it wasn't to bad, I just wanted to throw my summers on to do a test (as winter rims were bent) was just going to drive around my cul-de-sac, well I got AWD and when I got on the snow, I had ZERO grip, pretty much any amount of gas broke all 4 tyres loose, they sure made me appreciate my winters tyres more.

KrisYYC
08-18-2009, 01:31 PM
If you have summer tires or aftermarket rims with performance tires then I totally understand why you'd need winter tires.

But most run of the mill daily drivers would be fine with All seasons.

I hope we don't do like Quebec and make winter tires mandatory.

scat19
08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
^ You're a fucking idiot. Let me guess, you're the guy that comes up with stupid controversial stories and wear a tinfoil hat to stop the aliens reading your mind.

You haven't seen the multiple tests of winters vs your generic all-season? Mass improvement.

The main reason is not tread, or studs, or whatever - it's how they are made. All-seasons freeze up and the rubber is solid, whereas winters still remain flexible past -2 degrees.

Performance summer tires on 18's for the summer, and winter 17's for the winter. Simple.

leftwing
08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
all seasons generally, are good till -14c i use all season on my car (chevy blazer with 4x4) and i never have any problems at all. i rarely have to use 4x4, only sometimes when i park on a snowy street or when im starting uphill from a stop. but for most of the time im only using rwd with my all seasons. but its nice to have awd at the touch of button.

id recommend if your going to drive with rwd of fwd get winter tires because it makes life hell of a lot easier, but its not a nessecity. if your using awd all seasons is all you need.

KrisYYC
08-18-2009, 02:05 PM
^ You're a fucking idiot. Let me guess, you're the guy that comes up with stupid controversial stories and wear a tinfoil hat to stop the aliens reading your mind.

You haven't seen the multiple tests of winters vs your generic all-season? Mass improvement.

The main reason is not tread, or studs, or whatever - it's how they are made. All-seasons freeze up and the rubber is solid, whereas winters still remain flexible past -2 degrees.

Performance summer tires on 18's for the summer, and winter 17's for the winter. Simple.

Wow a bit of sand in your vagina?

I didn't say winter tires didn't provide a mass improvement. What I'm saying is I don't buy into the marketing that says you pretty much HAVE to have winter tires or you're going to crash!!! I've been driving a RWD pick-up with all seasons for ten years and haven't been in an accident. It's called KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE IN POOR WEATHER.

The reason I don't want them mandatory is because I don't think people should be forced to shell out hard earned money for something that isn't even close to neccessary for the majority of drivers.

If you can't handle RWD with a bit of snow on the ground....well I don't know what to say.

scat19
08-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Wow a bit of sand in your vagina?

I didn't say winter tires didn't provide a mass improvement. What I'm saying is I don't buy into the marketing that says you pretty much HAVE to have winter tires or you're going to crash!!! I've been driving a RWD pick-up with all seasons for ten years and haven't been in an accident. It's called KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE IN POOR WEATHER.

The reason I don't want them mandatory is because I don't think people should be forced to shell out hard earned money for something that isn't even close to neccessary for the majority of drivers.

If you can't handle RWD with a bit of snow on the ground....well I don't know what to say.

No, just felt like reaming someone a new one today.

Keep driving in your all seasons, and when someone stops in half the length, and you go sailing into a bus full of kiddies, come and talk to me again.

I'd really like to have that bill passed Canada wide. And a nice fine too, say 600 dollars, so it negates the cost of them.

KrisYYC
08-18-2009, 02:24 PM

No, just felt like reaming someone a new one today.

Keep driving in your all seasons, and when someone stops in half the length, and you go sailing into a bus full of kiddies, come and talk to me again.

I'd really like to have that bill passed Canada wide. And a nice fine too, say 600 dollars, so it negates the cost of them.

Hasn't happened yet after 14 years of driving. Hasn't happened to anybody I know either. A lot of the SUV nuts made the same arguments trying to justify their 4x4's in the city. "I need it for winter" they would say, yet their 20 year old female secretary got to work just fine in her civic. They thought they were invincible, and I've seen many a 4x4 go flying into the gaurd rails on Deerfoot.

Nothing can replace driving skill. If you want to buy winter tires fine. But don't force everybody to buy them.

Hakkola
08-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

if your using awd all seasons is all you need.

AWD helps you stop?

It's called KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE IN POOR WEATHER.

You mean, going 40 in an 80 zone? When it snows I find I'm one of the few people driving the speed limit, it's probably because my car doesn't slide every where because I have good tires.

Nothing can replace driving skill. If you want to buy winter tires fine. But don't force everybody to buy them.

Yes, force everyone to buy them, if you can't afford them, get off the road.

I'd wager that traffic would be less of a problem in the winter if everyone was rocking a good set of winters.

atgilchrist
08-18-2009, 02:38 PM

AWD helps you stop?

Good point! Totally missed that one.

+1 for should be the law.

aram1000
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
RWD in winter is fine as long as you drive normally, and have a good set of winter tires. I used to only use all seasons, but when I got my Integra a while back, it came with a set of blizzacks and i must say, my winter driving experience was better. As for a good all season car, I was very happy with how my E46 performed in the winter. This past winter was one of the coldest I can remember, and it started fine everyday, and it didn't have a block heater. Again, i did have a set of winter tires, as well as a sub box in the back for some extra weight. The DSC in the BMW's is pretty good, and I didn't have any problems.

B4tMan
08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't buy all this &quot;gotta have winter tires&quot; hype.
if you live on the outskirts of town, winters are good to have. Or you could overkill it and get studded.

Wrinkly
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM

When it snows I find I'm one of the few people driving the speed limit, it's probably because my car doesn't slide every where because I have good tires.

Sorry - but that's just idiotic. Speed limits are set based on the maximum speed allowed under 'ideal' driving conditions. As conditions deteriorate driving should be adjusted accordingly. No matter what 'your' car has - other people share the road with you, and what they and their vehicle can/can't do affects you, too!

Anyone who drives in winter conditions at posted speed limits or the "same as usual", regardless of which vehicle, or equipment it has, is extremely foolish IMO.

It's no wonder there are so many accidents! :banghead: :banghead:

Hakkola
08-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly

It's no wonder there are so many accidents! :banghead: :banghead:

I've never been in an accident. I know the limits are maximum allowable under ideal conditions, I don't really care though, fact of the matter is I've been doing it safely for years.

Charon
08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
AWD with quality winter tires is just too much fun in the winter.

I have found mostly anybody that argues all seasons are good enough have never driven on QUALITY winter tires when it is icy/snowy. The difference is unreal. I used to meh on winter tires until getting a quality set.

For in the city 2wd is fine. But outside the scooby really shines. I was traveling to Merritt for an ice race.It was snowing HARD, I was the only one on the highway moving(AWD + winters, and not ice racing tires). And it made the highway a piece of cake. There was 6-8 inches on the hwy and no plows in sight and the hwy was pretty much closed for anything else. Stopped for a lot of people to make sure they were ok on that trip. And stopping in cold weather /w snow, winter tires are worlds ahead of all seasons.

I recommend nokian hakkapeliitta rsi, bar none the best non studded winter tires EVER. If you really want to move/stop go for nokian hakkapeliitta 5 or Hankook Winter iPike with 4mm studs.... :)

Personally I can feel a huge handling difference between awd and fwd/rwd. But most people wont end up in a situation where they will know/feel the difference. Esp if they drive in traffic in the city. But with good winters I would pick fwd over rwd for the ability to pull your front end where you want to go. where rear wheel drive would be easier to spin for someone in a situation they try to drive out of.

max_boost
08-21-2009, 09:00 AM
lol

I wonder why they sell and market winter tires? Because they work? OMG!

lol

:rofl: :eek: :nut: :dunno:

^SkylinE^
08-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Buy a Subaru WRX STI! Monster in the summer and winter! Lots of mods available !:thumbsup:

DannyO
08-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Charon
AWD with quality winter tires is just too much fun in the winter.

+1 to this, driving and having fun is so easy a caveman can do it.

I could do with better tyres though, got Pirelli 240 Snowsports, there good, but I kinda want to wear them out fast so I got an excuse to buy some Hakkas.

bigbadboss101
08-21-2009, 09:48 AM
How much more $ are the Nokians compared to say Blizzaks or Wintersport?

bighead2267
08-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by DannyO

+1 to this, driving and having fun is so easy a caveman can do it.

I could do with better tyres though, got Pirelli 240 Snowsports, there good, but I kinda want to wear them out fast so I got an excuse to buy some Hakkas.

+1
i can't wait the Pirelli wearout so i can get the Nokian.

heavyD
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know about all of this AWD talk and this is coming from someone that owns one of the best handling AWD vehicles in the world. A FWD vehicle with winter tires is more than enough for getting around Calgary in the winter. The only way I could recommend AWD over FWD is if you are making a lot of ski trips into the mountains. For the average calgary commuter a FWD makes more sense as there's less maintenance, you can replace two tires rather than four at a time, etc. I know you Subaru guys love your cars but really outside the STI their vehicles handle worse than most decent FWD cars in the dry and the added traction really only comes into play if you are in very deep snow or poor highway conditions.

Crymson
08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Anyone drive a BMW 330ci in the winter?

DannyO
08-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
I don't know about all of this AWD talk and this is coming from someone that owns one of the best handling AWD vehicles in the world. A FWD vehicle with winter tires is more than enough for getting around Calgary in the winter. The only way I could recommend AWD over FWD is if you are making a lot of ski trips into the mountains. For the average calgary commuter a FWD makes more sense as there's less maintenance, you can replace two tires rather than four at a time, etc. I know you Subaru guys love your cars but really outside the STI their vehicles handle worse than most decent FWD cars in the dry and the added traction really only comes into play if you are in very deep snow or poor highway conditions.

I fully agree, AWD isn't needed for the conditions we get here, on all seasons my Prelude never really had a problem, if I had decent winters on it, it would of been close to perfect, I've been in friends FWD cars with winters and even though I wasn't driving, its pretty obvious the advantage they give over all seasons, but I do love my AWD now :D , it lets me create my own roads in the winter.

dezmarez
08-30-2009, 08:25 PM
ok...
i am going to be looking at a g35,
anyone driven one in winter?
it is RWD but with traction control...

any opinions would be awesome!!

Weapon_R
08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
You'll be fine.

narou
08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Winter tires are so important. I had those on my prelude for my first winter driving and it made life so much easier.

max_boost
08-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Subaru's are VERY low maintenance. Two WRX's, Impreza, Forester, Tribeca in my family, I think they handle just fine. :D

I do agree that it doesn't matter if it's AWD/RWD/FWD, it's all about the winter tires come snow time.

Just waiting for the argument from the pros, that you don't need winter tires blah blah blah. You might not need it but don't downplay it's effectiveness! haha

I should work at Subaru :D

Redlyne_mr2
08-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I Agree with Maxboost if I had to get an all season car it would be a Subaru, great summer and winter vehicles. One thing that people don't mention though is ground clearance. After last winter I know why I drive an SUV in the winter. Ground Clearance is so important.

403Gemini
08-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Did you ever get quality tires? I drive my Benz and Bimmer the same way I do in the summer, I couldn't even drift my E-class with studded Nokians in the snow because they're so grippy.

I haven't been stuck in 4 years because I stopped buying shitty winter tires.

Gotta agree with Darell, I had kw-19's on my cobalt, and kw-19's on my wrx and its night and day. I've never gotten stuck in my cobalt, but ive never had the confidence in it as i do in my wrx.

To the OP, I'd recommend a WRX, but im biased ;)

That.Guy.S30
08-30-2009, 10:23 PM
u can drive whatever you want.. get some good tires and use common sense.
i was scared going from my subaru to my Fj.. but with some nokians its not too bad. a little tail happy, but not too bad.

dezmarez
03-18-2010, 04:29 PM
So I got the IS 300,

I will have to see when winter rolls around how it is.
It is my first RWD car as well, so that should take some getting used to.
It does have "snow" mode so I'm sure that will help as well.

scat19
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
^ Yes, because one button will magically make the car better in snow. :rolleyes:

Ntense_SpecV
03-19-2010, 01:21 PM
^ Yes, because one button will magically make the car better in snow. :rolleyes:

He didn't say it would be magic - he said it would help a bit. It's no wonder you have the reputation you have. You can see your sarcastic condesending tone come ripping on through each and every post.

Neil4Speed
03-19-2010, 01:23 PM
The snow mode does actually help in poor conditions. It essentially holds back the throttle so your not unintentionally spinning at lights and kicking the rear out when turning. It can be frustrating to drive with however, it kind of feels like your car is about half as slow as PWR mode.

Sugarphreak
03-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Aleks
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I've heard a few people complain about the IS300 as being a lot worse to drive in snow than other RWD cars.

DonJuan
03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I would go with the Outback for the increased ride height.

I would go with the Legacy cuz of the less ride hight and gayness.

beyond_ban
03-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I've heard a few people complain about the IS300 as being a lot worse to drive in snow than other RWD cars.

I don't find it to bad :dunno:

If you use common sense and a GOOD (can't stress that enough) set of winter tires, then you will be fine. Don't drive like a douche or a panic stricken grandma and you will enjoy it, rather then fear it.

max_boost
03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Something to with the rear camber? 2000impreza explained it to me one day and I was still :dunno:

Anyway, I know 6 IS owners, only 1 of them winter drive their car. The others just say it's very difficult and won't bother.

Remember pinoyhero? He sold his IS350 for a 335I because he couldn't handle the IS in winter.

So there's truth to that.

scat19
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

He didn't say it would be magic - he said it would help a bit. It's no wonder you have the reputation you have. You can see your sarcastic condesending tone come ripping on through each and every post.

Thanks for your comment

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
The snow mode does actually help in poor conditions. It essentially holds back the throttle so your not unintentionally spinning at lights and kicking the rear out when turning. It can be frustrating to drive with however, it kind of feels like your car is about half as slow as PWR mode.

My snow button is my clutch foot, which also doubles as a sport button.

DelSoln
03-19-2010, 06:59 PM
An IS300 being difficult to drive in the snow? :rofl: Come on now. Like I said before you won't have a problem with winters on.