PDA

View Full Version : My latest engine drawing: Supercharged Toyota Yaris

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 03:08 AM

CUG
08-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Is this COMPLETELY freehand? Like no straight edge or anything?

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Well, I used a ruler? haha, I am trying out more drafting type tools as I progress but I find them rather difficult to use (french curves, flexible curve)... to be honest I'm not sure what a 'straight edge' is. I've been asked multiple times about it and I've always assumed to to be a ruler, but after some google image searching, I dunno what that thing is lol

CUG
08-13-2009, 03:21 AM
I like the engine work dude.. looks good. It's a ruler, or anything you can use to draw a straight line.. book whatever..

spike98
08-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Ruler - Measures and provides an edge for drawing
Straight Edge - provides an edge for drawing that is not marked for measuring
Scale - Used to draw/measure scaled drawings

ZorroAMG
08-13-2009, 11:51 AM
The perspective/skew on the toyota emblem is off and the belt looks odd. Other than that, it's pretty good!

swak
08-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
The perspective/skew on the toyota emblem is off and the belt looks odd. Other than that, it's pretty good!

x2. if youre asking for constructive criticism.

But, its 100% better than i could do.
Good job, mate!

wes_v
08-13-2009, 11:56 AM
looks good man

YamahaV8
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
That looks awesome. The supercar engine looks amazing too. I can barely draw a stick man lol.

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. What doesn't work about the belt for you? I used two new things to me for the faded effect on the belt: a water soluble pencil crayon and a water brush, personally I really like the effect. But yes I am looking for some honest opinions, come september when school starts (I'm at acad) I'll hopefully have alot of time for free projects and will be continuing the engine drawings. It's good to get 'real word' critiques instead of artsy fartsy feedback, and in addition you're all on a car forum for a reason so that helps too!

And I'm not sure if you guys missed them but here are the rest I've drawn: http://jeff-chan.daportfolio.com/gallery/70852

Pollywog
08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
This thread is depressing, as I will never be able to draw like that. Props.

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8
That looks awesome. The supercar engine looks amazing too. I can barely draw a stick man lol.

Glad you like them! If any of you guys see the Countach one (red wiring), please give me some info or where you saw it! It was stolen at a school sale and there's only the original and one print of it which I have....so If you see it, it was stolen so please let me know!

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
This thread is depressing, as I will never be able to draw like that. Props.

Gotta start somewhere! Everytime I look back on the F40 drawing, I'm like how the F did I draw that?

swak
08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
In response to your comment on the belt, the only thing that i see wrong with it is that it looks really flat.
The fading looks wicked, but it doesnt feel as rounded and flowing as the rest of the pic.

But dont get me wrong, the pic looks great dude!

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. This is the first time I've done shades of any sort on an engine, so it was definately a bit of a tossup. Take for example the 4 lumps on the top cover, they could use shades, but it would throw off the rest of the drawing imo. Your comment is most interesting because I figured if anything the belt would make everything else look flat! But this is most definately something to take into consideration, so thanks again!

Kona9
08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I like it! Nice work. Your username is fitting. I do some 3D modelling for work and wouldn't mind doing something like this for an experience gaining project. Each part would be it's own layer so you can mess with it in an animation aspect.

Your work makes me want to get back into hand drawing. I truly love a pencil shade drawing that looks close to a black and white photo.

Keep up the good work.

edit- I think what Zorro may be getting at with the belt is, it looks twisted with the way you did your shading.

BlackArcher101
08-13-2009, 02:24 PM
A good start, but the perspectives on a lot of your curves seem to be off to me.

TorqueDog
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Damn, that's some pretty impressive work!

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks

Kona9, I'd love to see your possible future project if you do make it, do post it up! But to clarify, it's actually all done in ink, but for the purpose of shading I may try pencil only ones in the future. In addition I still have yet to play around on actual white paper with just black ink. I am also considering doing one on blue paper with white ink to make it look like a blue print. Thus far though the most frustrating thing is drawing it all out perfect in pencil, erasing what you need to then moving to the ink stage and screwing something up. Ink as I'm sure you all know isn't exactly erasable despite whatever products exist. The eraser for ink is a knife, which I used quite a bit on this one tearing away layers of the paper.

Gart
08-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I think anything I would have to comment on was already mentioned above..

So: pretty cool, you're off to a great start!

keep posting more as you do them :). I like the detail you're doing in your other drawing on that site as well. Looks nice and clean.

ZorroAMG
08-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey,

My issue with the belt is that it's the wrong perspective as soon as it's off the pulley. It is flat with the "camera" instead of being at a 3/4 angle like the rest of the engine...y'know?

rage2
08-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Definately off to a good start. The perspective is a bit off like others have said... for instance, the F40 is WAY wider than your sketch:

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/f40engine.jpg

But overall, it's pretty good.

Chantastic
08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Hmm I am not 100% sure I agree with the F40 width... then again maybe it's because I've spent way to much time staring at the thing/drawing those intercoolers. Here's the original image I was working with: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/generalImg/F40/PC080182.jpg

Edit: I know that left tire is totally gimped too. One of those things you draw perfectly in pencil, and then you ink it and it's ruined :(

And I see now what you mean about the belt, though I'm entirely sure yet how I would fix that... hopefully I'll have it figured out for the next one.

rage2
08-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Definately staring at them way too long. Take a look at your intercooler vs the one in your reference picture. The shape is completely different.

nj2Type-S
08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
great job, man! :thumbsup:

Eibbus
08-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Chantastic
Hmm I am not 100% sure I agree with the F40 width... then again maybe it's because I've spent way to much time staring at the thing/drawing those intercoolers. Here's the original image I was working with: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/generalImg/F40/PC080182.jpg

Edit: I know that left tire is totally gimped too. One of those things you draw perfectly in pencil, and then you ink it and it's ruined :(

And I see now what you mean about the belt, though I'm entirely sure yet how I would fix that... hopefully I'll have it figured out for the next one.

Jeff, Firstly these are awesome man. Are these done for your first year classes at ACAD? Are you planning on applying / entering the Visual Communications program?

Just curious since I went through there a few years ago.

As an exercise to draw more accurately ( especially your perspective like people have mentioned ) try doing this once in a while. Take the photo or whatever reference you are using for these pieces, and turn it upside down before you start so you don't see it as a recognizable object. You just see shapes. It will force you to draw exactly what you see instead of what you "think" you see...

This is just a suggestion, but if you have time try it out and see how it works.

Keep it up man.

Chantastic
08-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Eibbus

Jeff, Firstly these are awesome man. Are these done for your first year classes at ACAD? Are you planning on applying / entering the Visual Communications program?

Just curious since I went through there a few years ago.

As an exercise to draw more accurately ( especially your perspective like people have mentioned ) try doing this once in a while. Take the photo or whatever reference you are using for these pieces, and turn it upside down before you start so you don't see it as a recognizable object. You just see shapes. It will force you to draw exactly what you see instead of what you "think" you see...

This is just a suggestion, but if you have time try it out and see how it works.

Keep it up man.

I appreciate the support! I am actually going into 3rd year drawing (plan to be a highschool art teacher), so I hope I have alot of studio time to explore this series of work. What department of VC did you major in?

I think the part that throws me off the most when working with perspective is me trying to get all the fine details in when working with small images, and enlarging them from a smaller than labtop sized image to a 19 x 25''. However the turning upside down method is very intriguing, I will have to try this one out. I'll start with some sketchbook work perhaps and see where it goes from there. I've taken design basics and color theory at acad, the upside down image reminds me of one of the projects where we had to break down the image into its core elements... I might have to start trying that again too. Thanks again!

kolumbo69
08-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Very nice!:thumbsup:

Just thought I would add:

Rulers- Govern countries.

Rules- are used for measurement

Fivewayradio
08-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Kudos for picking a subject as complicated and abstract as an engine!

EDIT - shit dude, you're in 3rd year drawing? How do these go over in crits?

DJ Lazy
08-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

+3, and it is pretty damn good.. better than I could do! :D

Chantastic
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Fivewayradio
Kudos for picking a subject as complicated and abstract as an engine!

EDIT - shit dude, you're in 3rd year drawing? How do these go over in crits?

I'm going into 3rd year, so I haven't had much time to experiment for projects really. Both the Countach and F40 were from the most recent semester in the same class. The Countach went over quite well, many comments on how it looked organic, like a mechanical heart (I ended up titling it 'Heart of the Bull'). The F40 was my final project for that class and unfortunately I didn't have a critique for it with the class and instead just the instructor. He really liked the nuts everywhere? Said it looked like a connect the dots lol. Unfortunately at acad there's not to many automotive people so the majority of onlookers don't even know where to begin. Many comment when they see me drawing them trying to get every last detail that they wouldn't know the difference if I changed/eliminated something, but to me, realism is key. No one else may be watching, but I'll never be content knowing that I just faked a bunch of stuff.

Edit: The F40 was meant to be part of a series with the Countach and some other supercar engine, but I never had the time to finish anymore. The F40 is just a labyrinth of an engine, and unfortunately that affected my grade. The Countach motor went in the show and sale and was stolen :(

Edit2: you are/were at acad as well I presume?

Chantastic
08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Definately staring at them way too long. Take a look at your intercooler vs the one in your reference picture. The shape is completely different.

Looking at it now with some refreshed eyes I see what you mean. I think the bigger clue for me is the placement of the bar taht cuts across the engine. The one in my reference picture is at a very different angle, hinting at being squished. Interestingly though, the picture you posted has a bar going the opposite direction, otherwise looks to be normal...

rage2
08-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Ya I flipped my picture to match the angle of your picture.

Chantastic
08-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Ahh I see I see