PDA

View Full Version : Want to build a small HTPC

GoChris
08-13-2009, 01:17 PM
NCIX has a sale and I was going to pickup a mATX mobo with the AMD 785G chipset on it, and HMDI output. Does 1080p and all that jazz. Then I was reading at Anandtech that it does not do 8 channel LPCM and only 2 channel.

First, does that matter? What does that mean (to me)? I have a sony receiver, kind of a HT in a box and it's 5.1. I'd like to have DTS support, I have a 7.1 setup upstairs (DTS) but it's not an HDMI receiver so I would use optical or coax for the audio on that if I hooked up the HTPC to it.

Is there something else I should look at as far as the mobo/chipset is concerned to build a HTPC? Next year I'll probably upgrade to a "proper" receiver.

I'm not worried about anything above DTS because I don't have more than a couple actual bluray discs, my collection is 99% bluray ripped MKVs.

Also, on a side note, is there another forum/site more geared towards this geeky computer shit? Even if not locally based. (Not necessarily HTPC related, but in general)

scat19
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
This thread helped me out a LOT when I built mine.

Granted, mine is basic, but I love it.

I live in shared accomadtion now, so I use Bluetooth headphones, so I'm not too sure about your sound question.

In my condo, I had a nice set of 4.1 logitech THX surround speakers set up with a Audigy 2 sound card. Worked well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

GoChris
08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by scat19
This thread helped me out a LOT when I built mine.

Granted, mine is basic, but I love it.

I live in shared accomadtion now, so I use Bluetooth headphones, so I'm not too sure about your sound question.

In my condo, I had a nice set of 4.1 logitech THX surround speakers set up with a Audigy 2 sound card. Worked well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

Wow thanks, looks like based on the length and depth of that I'll have to wait till after work to read that. :)

yobi5888
08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Mind sharing where about you got your blu-ray ripped MKV?

GoChris
08-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by yobi5888
Mind sharing where about you got your blu-ray ripped MKV?

No, don't mind, but it's pretty common knowledge. Any torrent site or newsgroup access will get you those.

scat19
08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
^ They are large though, but the HD is still there.

I compared a 700MB rip to a 7GB rip of James Bond Solace, amazing difference.

Your welcome.

Mibz
08-13-2009, 02:41 PM
EDIT

GoChris
08-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
785G has 6-channel LPCM, 780G didn't. If you -really- need 7.1 then look at a different chipset or aftermarket sound card. Otherwise I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Well, I have a 7.1 setup upstairs, nothing great but it's 7.1. But I could not use audio over HDMI for that, the audio would have to be coax or optical. So does that matter?

But in reality, I'll probably just be wiring my new house for 5.1 not 7.1 anyway, the 2.0 get's in the way.

Mibz
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

Well, I have a 7.1 setup upstairs, nothing great but it's 7.1. But I could not use audio over HDMI for that, the audio would have to be coax or optical. So does that matter?

But in reality, I'll probably just be wiring my new house for 5.1 not 7.1 anyway, the 2.0 get's in the way. Okay. So for the time being, as long as your receiver doesn't do HDMI audio, you're stuck with 2 channel, unless the mobo has a separate SPDIF port. As far as I can tell it uses HDMI for SPDIF though. If it's got a separate port then you can run 5.1 through coax/optical no problem.

*tear* You're moving? Away from meeeee?