PDA

View Full Version : DriveSmartBC - Open Liquor in a Vehicle

skidmark
08-13-2009, 09:56 PM
On a sunny afternoon patrol one weekend I stopped a vehicle that had been exceeding the speed limit. As I approached, I could see two gray haired women in the front and two men of the same vintage in the rear of the car. I could also see a partially consumed cold beer in the hand of each of the men, who made no attempt to hide them from me.

I explained that the liquor was being possessed and consumed illegally and that I would be searching the car under the provisions of the Liquor Control and Licensing Act. I had to convince the two to hand over the two open bottles of beer and searched for and seized the balance under very strong verbal protest.

The registered owner of the vehicle, a local resident, was one of the males and he exclaimed that he could see nothing wrong with enjoying a drink with his visiting guest as his wife drove the car. She had not been drinking, but she received the ticket for illegal transport of the liquor.

Perhaps I have seen too many collisions caused by impaired drivers, but I do believe that there are more appropriate places to enjoy an alcoholic drink than doing so in the passenger compartment of your vehicle while it is being driven on the highway. In my view it is a very short step between passengers drinking and the driver joining in too.

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/impaired-driving/open-liquor-motor-vehicle)

Kloubek
08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes - it is a short step. But it *IS* a step. Honestly - if someone wants to have a drink they can do so from an exposed beer can, or they can do so from a hidden flask. They both get the driver drunk....

whiskas
08-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Unfortunately we live in the worst country in the world when it comes to enjoying alcohol outside of our homes.

Pollywog
08-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I miss Japan, litre cans of Asahi at vending machines anywhere so you can enjoy a cold brew walking down the street or on the subway. I personally don't see much wrong with letting the people who aren't driving in the car drink - however I understand how challenging that would become for officers pulling over people for more simple infractions.

jdmXSI
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I once heard (iirc it was in a transworld skate mag with the wierdest laws in America) that in Texas the driver of an automobile is allowed to consume one alcoholic beverage onthe way home from work. That would be a great idea but we all know people would deffinatly abuse that one for sure!

Mibz
08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I would assume that the open liquor law was created a long time ago, before breathalyzers. We can now prove whether or not the driver has been drinking so what's the problem?

nonlinear
08-14-2009, 10:22 AM
the law must differentiate 'regular' vehicles and stuff like limos, campers, and buses, right? what is the distinction?

JfuckinC
08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
the law must differentiate 'regular' vehicles and stuff like limos, campers, and buses, right? what is the distinction?

It's a different class of passanger vehicle which is why you need a different class of license to drive it i think?

Ben
08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
This is such a horseshit law. When I was overseas, I'd have all my friends pile into my car, all pissed up, beer/wine/bourbon whatever in hand, and we'd all head down to the Pub. As long as the driver wasn't consuming any/drunk, you could do whatever as a passenger. Same with when my gf and I would go on road trips. 3 o'clock would roll around and the sun is HOT, 400 more km to go, we could stop and grab a 6 pack and she could enjoy a nice cold beer at her leisure in the passenger seat with no problems.

If people are going to drink and drive, they're gonna drink and drive.

The police were happy they had a sober driver too and from the Pub, They could care less about the alcohol being consumed.

Boat
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I would assume that the open liquor law was created a long time ago, before breathalyzers. We can now prove whether or not the driver has been drinking so what's the problem?

I agree, but the only thing I can think of is that its merely a preventative measure rather than a rule to bust everyones balls.

IMO

This story is fabricated. Old (Grey haired) woman speeding on the highway?? What is his definition of highway? Its a sunday and they are local residents? :bullshit:

Sugarphreak
08-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Zhariak
08-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Personally I agree that there should be nothing wrong with passenger's enjoying alcoholic beverages in vehicles.

Driving a big SUV, many time's I've been on road trips, or going to places that require more than an hour ride...

I would love it if my passengers could consume a nice cold cocktail while I'm driving (and I would definitely not be drinking), and it wouldn't be for them to get skunk drunk, but just pass the time a little bit more...

I DO follow the law, so I have never let a passenger do this. But if it changed, even if you had to have a special license I'd pay for it (especially since sometimes I get my brother to drag my ass around town cuz I don't want to drive)...

Crymson
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Wait until some power tripping cop makes your pour out a case of beer because it was IN REACH of the driver if you want to bitch about crappy laws, and you'll get really pissed.

googe
08-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by skidmark
The registered owner of the vehicle, a local resident, was one of the males and he exclaimed that he could see nothing wrong with enjoying a drink with his visiting guest as his wife drove the car. She had not been drinking, but she received the ticket for illegal transport of the liquor.

Perhaps I have seen too many collisions caused by impaired drivers, but I do believe that there are more appropriate places to enjoy an alcoholic drink than doing so in the passenger compartment of your vehicle while it is being driven on the highway. In my view it is a very short step between passengers drinking and the driver joining in too.

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/impaired-driving/open-liquor-motor-vehicle)

What shitty logic that is.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html

Sounds like a "thought crime" to me.

:facepalm:

Ichigo
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Ben
This is such a horseshit law. When I was overseas, I'd have all my friends pile into my car, all pissed up, beer/wine/bourbon whatever in hand, and we'd all head down to the Pub. As long as the driver wasn't consuming any/drunk, you could do whatever as a passenger. Same with when my gf and I would go on road trips. 3 o'clock would roll around and the sun is HOT, 400 more km to go, we could stop and grab a 6 pack and she could enjoy a nice cold beer at her leisure in the passenger seat with no problems.

If people are going to drink and drive, they're gonna drink and drive.

The police were happy they had a sober driver too and from the Pub, They could care less about the alcohol being consumed.

My friend drove his drunk buddies home while they were all plastered, a few minutes later his car went head on into another car he almost lost the use his legs. One of the drunk passengers grabbed his wheel.

Ben
08-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo

My friend drove his drunk buddies home while they were all plastered, a few minutes later his car went head on into another car he almost lost the use his legs. One of the drunk passengers grabbed his wheel.

So?

What's your point? This could happen anywhere there is a sober driver driving drunk people home, regardless of open liquor laws.

Your friend has dumb friends.

Sugarphreak
08-17-2009, 05:25 PM

mx73someday
08-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by skidmark
I had to convince the two to hand over the two open bottles of beer and searched for and seized the balance under very strong verbal protest.

How did you convince them?

Sugarphreak
08-17-2009, 05:53 PM

StupidWade
08-23-2009, 10:21 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/wadek5/taser_of_death.jpg