PDA

View Full Version : ICBC Strikes again....

b-summers
08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
So i recently hit someone the other day...there was a 3rd party at fault, but drove off, so I got blamed....lucky me.

ICBC says there's $9,962 worth of damages to my car, and will only give me $5,200 for it (97 honda civic ex....but it's got a full kit, custom paint job, rims, tires, you name it i have it) so def worth more than that. I found friends to fix it for Under $2,000 including parts and paint.

The guy i hit had virtually no damage to his car....possibly a few scratches on his crome bumper....but ford f150 vs my little car = he won hands down. I find out today that the guy is taking his car in for an estimate...so if he claims my insurance is going to go up $1500 this year alone....I was originally not going to claim anything on my insurance and fix the car myself, but now if i he claims his car my insurance goes up......so I've been trying to call him to see if i can make a cash settlement because like i said his car had like no damage, so i'd rather pay him if it's under the $1500 my insurance would go up.....but he seems to be avoiding me....

so i talked to icbc and they said if he claims, which he prolly will.....i can either write off the car (no chance in hell), or i can reclass my car as a rebuild....they'll give me the maximum amount to fix my car ($4,700 minus my deductable).....and i can get it fixed however i want. BUT i have to take it back to them and it has to pass an ICBC inpection.......so does anyone know what this icbc inpection intails....i was just going to leave some stuff on my car the way it was....like the fender on the side has a few paint scratches on it....but if it has to pass inpection now, does that mean the car has to be put into the same condition it was before the accident...aka i now have to buy a new fender and repaint it......and also...what does it mean to class my car as a rebuild???? I dont ever plan on selling my car...I'm goona drive it til it dies.....but does that make the value of my car go down if i (god forbid) ever get into another accident?? or if i did get in another accident, would they not let me fix it again because it's already a rebuild???

I'm just not sure what to do...i know i dont want to write it off....i just don't know if i should pay out of my own pocket to fix the car....or change the title to rebuild, and have them give me money to fix it......plus it depends if this dude is goona claim it....ugh....im going to move somewhere that doesn't have ICBC

Tik-Tok
08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Just FYI, you can argue your write-off's worth (though not based on any modifications ICBC didn't know and insure you for).

Look around at what other people are selling their similar cars for, and start haggling from there.

When my car got written off under ICBC, they offered me $1800, I looked around and found other people selling their same year/model, and similar mileage for $3000. So I settled for $2500.

rinny
08-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Definately start high with your original price and when they scoff and tell you otherwise be hesitant to drop lower.

97'Scort
08-14-2009, 10:39 PM
ICBC inspection is almost identical to an OOP inspection except they'll check a little more closely to see if you didn't just weld two cars together.

ICBC won't insure your mods unless you register the car as a "modified vehicle", which basically restricts it to pleasure use only. Otherwise, and this is first hand experience, you can insure your mods (including sound system) for $0.50 on the dollar. You heard me right, if you have a $5000 mod list, it will cost you $2500/year to insure it.

I miss Meloche Monnex :(

S4maniac
08-14-2009, 10:46 PM
just a side note ... if you have your receipts, you can get reimbursed for any parts that you have replaced in the past year. Parts, not labour. This would be on top of your write off amount.

natejj
08-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Lets see he makes a claim against you, as in, theres $600 of damage to his vehicle.... ICBC will mail you a letter saying this person has claimed X amount of dollars, you can either pay it, and your rate wont change, or have us pay it, and your rate will go up. I just went through this, and decided to pay for it.

daynetien10
09-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

a social dsease
09-14-2012, 07:56 AM
I feel for you man, ICBC is a huge load of :bullshit:

I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to chime in on how much I hate those crooks.

Best of luck!

C_Dave45
09-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I've dealt with ICBC for 25 years. Went through two serious claims, the last one cost them $30,000 in my favor!! :clap:

But it's not all peaches and cream in Alberta. After 10 years with CoOperators I had to ditch them. My son had a minor fender bender. His fault (ours-my policy) so we waited to see what the total claim would be. No letters, no phone calls, no warnings to ask if we want to settle out-of-pocket, just an increase of $1,000 per year for the next 5 years. What was the total claim...?? $1200!!!!!

Nice insurance scam ya got going there, CoOp!! Seeya!!

Tik-Tok
09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
I swear, the post dates should be in bold, and size 5.

ercchry
09-14-2012, 08:48 AM
i've had this argument with Bill many times. your rates are based off a stock car. if you are not insured for the parts that are over the value of stock then why the hell would they cover it, since you werent paying for it?

C_Dave45
09-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I swear, the post dates should be in bold, and size 5.
Arrgggh. :banghead: fuck, I usually catch that.
Agree 1000%. That's worse than a repost!!
Noobs and their google searches.

Nitro5
09-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by daynetien10
There is actually some good info on some personal injury lawyer sites. I actually found this one quite useful on a few topics: [spam redacted]

Bot or ambulance chaser lacky?

Masked Bandit
09-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by daynetien10
There is actually some good info on some personal injury lawyer sites. I actually found this one quite useful on a few topics: [spam redacted]

Nice looking ladies working at that firm!

Tik-Tok
09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Nice looking ladies working at that firm!

This is the only reason I clicked the spammer's link :rofl: , agreed though.

daynetien10
09-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Nitro5
09-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Yup, ambulance chaser