PDA

View Full Version : Question for the science geeks

2EFNFAST
08-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Back in grade 5 we had a science experiment to see how bread does/does not mold - we were given 3 peatry dishes, a piece of bread in each, and then sealed them with masking tape. Took them home for a week to see what when not exposed to air, they won't mold.

okay, good enough. I was really curious about the concept back then, so when we returned out dishes I stole 4 of them and left them in the basement, and took them when I moved.

I guess it's now like 15 or so years later and I was looking at them, and none of the 4 pieces of bread have molded. They look brand new still (albiet all hard).

So I don't understand how a piece of bread in a peatry dish, sealed with masking tape, hasn't molded in over 15yrs - surely there's got to be some air in the dish? :confused:

TomcoPDR
08-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Pics? What does it taste like?

Ashers
08-15-2009, 02:50 AM
Technically, with the absence of life supporting requirements and/or spores, the bread will remain mold free indefinitely. So, simply put, if it doesn't get moldy after say the week (simplify and removing spores that have a longer germination period) it will never get moldy. Either that, or the teacher zapped them with disinfectant or UV while you weren't looking.

R154
08-15-2009, 06:58 AM
No water man. As long as the water has evaporated no bacteria/mold can survive. I am not sure but I think viruses are the only exception.

I am not a bio-guy though so do not quote me.

cancer man
08-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Put them in a pyramid and they will never mold.

justincalgary
08-15-2009, 08:43 AM
It is just dehydrated now....you have an oversized cruton. No moisture - no mold.

2EFNFAST
08-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Fascinating. I think I'm going to save my samples for 50yrs and check back in on them then :D

Unless of course anybody wants to buy 4 peatry dishes with 15yr old unmolded bread in them? $2000/dish for my marvels of science. LMK :)

Tezzating
08-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Fascinating. I think I'm going to save my samples for 50yrs and check back in on them then :D

Unless of course anybody wants to buy 4 peatry dishes with 15yr old unmolded bread in them? $2000/dish for my marvels of science. LMK :)

Do any of them look like Jesus ? :nut:

cancer man
08-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Tezzating

or Elvis.:bigpimp:

2EFNFAST
08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Tezzating

Sure, why not :D

But now the price has gone up for $5000/dish due to resemblance of religious icon :rofl: