PDA

View Full Version : Accident, got hit by an american

travis_gillard
08-15-2009, 10:50 AM
ok, so i am trying to find out what i should do i got into an accident with someone from texas, he rear ended me and had no insurance, and my insurance isnt going to cover it (more to the story) what should i do, he had texas plates on his car when he rear ended me. im also an american citizen should i open small claims in canada? and wait for them to try and come back? i have been trying to get ahold of my lawyer but with no luck. any advice would be great thanks

Kona9
08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Can you sue him civally in the US? Do you have witnesses?

three.eighteen.
08-15-2009, 11:18 AM
uninsured motorist coverage doesn't apply in the states?

FraserB
08-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Do you have his contact info? I would be going to the cops ASAP, even if the cops cant contact him you can probably get him to meet you.

2EFNFAST
08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Something about this story does not add up...........

nykz
08-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

More details would probably help..

adidas
08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

x2

I hope you took down his info atleast! Get him to give you cash for the damages!

VetteRacin
08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
do they not have to get insurance if they go out of that state?

7thgenvic
08-15-2009, 07:13 PM
give the entire story...

travis_gillard
08-15-2009, 07:25 PM
yea, i had the police involved from the begining and i have all of his information, i have been trying to track him down but i cant seem to because he has changed his phone number and moved from the address he gave me ... the person that was driving the car when i was hit was not the owner of the car. i have the police documents still on hand from the crash i was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me. i have also been trying to get ahold of the other people involved but have been unable too

revelations
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Is your vehicle insurance from Canada?
Do you not have uninsured motorist protection?

tom_9109
08-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Do you not have uninsured motorist protection?

Do you mean the family protection endorsement? It won't cover vehicle damages.

The only thing that will cover damages is his collision (if he has it).

Family protection endorsement and highway victims indemnity fund only pay for injury not for the vehicles damage.

SpoonEK9@STRD
08-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by travis_gillard
ok, so i am trying to find out what i should do i got into an accident with someone from texas, he rear ended me and had no insurance, and my insurance isnt going to cover it (more to the story) what should i do, he had texas plates on his car when he rear ended me. im also an american citizen should i open small claims in canada? and wait for them to try and come back? i have been trying to get ahold of my lawyer but with no luck. any advice would be great thanks

He most likely bought the car from the states and hasn't swapped plates, the driver was probably the owner.

Hatchback Hero
08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Why would uninsured motorist not cover that? That does not compute! How long ago did this happen and where? Shitty luck for you not getting a hold of anyone. I'd say redouble the phone calls. >.>

tom_9109
08-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Hatchback Hero
Why would uninsured motorist not cover that? That does not compute! How long ago did this happen and where? Shitty luck for you not getting a hold of anyone. I'd say redouble the phone calls. >.>

It doesn't compute because you don't know how the highway victims indemnity fund works. its for people injuries, not vehicle damage. Does this compute?