PDA

View Full Version : Roku Soundbridge re-seller

foos_guy
08-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know if there is a local distributor/re-seller for the Roku Soundbridge (http://soundbridge.roku.com/soundbridge/index.php) (or even a Canadian distributor/re-seller)?

If not, does anyone have any recommendations for something equivalent? Requirement would be that it can work with an iTunes server...

TIA!

mushi_mushi
08-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I bought one of these things for my sister years ago, Futureshop used to carry them but I dont think they do anymore. I googled "roku soundbridge canada" and one of the links that comes up is http://www.expansys.ca/p.aspx?i=128050 , im sure there are others. I dont have any personal experience with the device so I cant say what its like from a usability standpoint. Another device which is similar to the roku is the squeezebox. I remember the squeezebox being a very popular choice among people who wanted to stream audio around the house, I strongly suggest you take a look at their product offerings as well. I think things have probably changed over the last few years in that there should be more options for streaming audio devices. There are also more expensive solutions like the sonos but I wouldnt bother spending more then a few hundred dollars on one of these things.

foos_guy
08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks mushi_mushi!

I did take a look at the squeezebox... but it seems a little steep at $380-$450....

Has anyone been able to get a SoundBridge in Calgary recently?

mushi_mushi
08-18-2009, 01:15 PM
No problem, just glad I can help. What is your setup like and what is it that you would like to stream. Do you just want to play internet radio or stream audio from your computer throughout your house? Also might consider maybe making a new thread, some people may have no clue what a roku soundbridge is and might skip looking at this thread all together.

AVS has a forum section called "Digital Media Servers & Content Streamers" devoted to such devices. ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39 ) Im sure someone here can give you good advice as to a suitable substitute for the roku soundbridge as it seems to be a dated product (im sure its works well, but I havnt seen it anywhere in Calgary in a while)

mushi_mushi
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
There's a couple of alternatives depending on what you want to do. Im not sure what your requirements are but apple airport express might meet your needs. The apple ipod/iphone can also be used as a remote.

foos_guy
08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Good point! :)

I have a D-Link DNS-323 Network Attached Storage (NAS) with a built in iTunes server and its part of my home entertainment system in my living room.

My goal is get a device that can retrieve the music off my NAS and play it in the bedroom. My rooms are all wired for ethernet, so the device can be wired or wireless.

Sidenote: the DNS-323 also has a built in uPnP server which can work with my PS3 so I can watch different shows/movies that are on my NAS without having to turn on a computer.