PDA

View Full Version : Lf: electrical companies that are hiring electricians

travis_gillard
08-15-2009, 11:24 AM
hey, as stated im a 1st year looking for employment, I have taken the pre-employment course at sait as well and worked in the commercial field for a year

Jim Rome99
08-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Open up the yellow pages, call all the big companies on Monday morning. I know we were hiring first years a couple of weeks ago so you might be in luck.

Unitech
O'Dell
Custom
Canem
Western (Merrick)
Concept
Bow Valley
Bison

Graham_A_M
08-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Scenic Electric is hiring as well.

There is a new company just starting off thats looking for electricians, FT and PT. The owner of that company is friends with the owner of Queensland Liquor, so head over there and hand them your resume, as they'll give it to the owner. Dunno why he doesn't want to provide his email but...:dunno:

anyway give it to these guys.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=queensland+liquor&near=Calgary,+AB&fb=1&split=1&gl=ca&view=text&latlng=9130991370672118966

S13_Ryan
08-15-2009, 01:21 PM
trotter and morton?? i work for canem and i don't think we are at this time. try western. they've got the contract for the new biggest building downtown. theyre probably on the hunt for a bunch of guys.

travis_gillard
08-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help guy's, yea im gonna go out to a lot of big companies on monday and beg for a job haha

Originally posted by Jim Rome99
Open up the yellow pages, call all the big companies on Monday morning. I know we were hiring first years a couple of weeks ago so you might be in luck.

Unitech
O'Dell
Custom
Canem
Western (Merrick)
Concept
Bow Valley
Bison

what company do you work for?

rinny
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Also if you want to branch out to power systems there are that much more companies and contractors that may take people on. You could go to the big ones- Enmax Fortis etc or smaller contracting companies like High Time etc where you could do out of town work as well as receiving a LOA which boosts income a bit too.

S13_Ryan
08-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by rinny
Also if you want to branch out to power systems there are that much more companies and contractors that may take people on. You could go to the big ones- Enmax Fortis etc or smaller contracting companies like High Time etc where you could do out of town work as well as receiving a LOA which boosts income a bit too.

great idea but the OP would never be considered for a position like that as a first year. he would need a few years of sait under his belt and some hours

rinny
08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan

great idea but the OP would never be considered for a position like that as a first year. he would need a few years of sait under his belt and some hours

Not true at all. My company has taken on a handful of people with little electrical knowledge as most of what they do is skilled labour anyways. Everything is learned in the field and then they send the guy to school when a opportunity arrises.

I think I heard Atco Electric is having a career fair sometime soon in Calgary. It'd be worth it to check it out, however it would mean a certain relocation to somewhere north of Edmonton as that is their territory.

HuMz
08-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm with Canem and as far as I know were not hiring (layoffs a month ago), like mentioned tho just visit the companies above only I'd physically go in there and talk to someone vs just calling.

As for Enmax they won't hire you as a 1st year electrician. They may be able to get you on doing something similar but It wouldn't count towards your electrical apprentership.

msommers
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Don't forget about the industrial sector as well...usually pays the best as well.

f150mikey060
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
i say get your resume out to everyone in the power system industry, there is going to be a TON of work the next few years

redblack
08-23-2009, 08:59 PM
^ its always nice to have someone in the family to vouch for you.:thumbsup:

But in reality before i got into the power system field, no place would look at me until i finished the electrical engineering dipolma program at sait even though i was a j-man electrician

f150mikey060
08-23-2009, 09:26 PM
it definatly helps ;)