PDA

View Full Version : Tuition Increases

Weapon_R
11-06-2003, 10:18 PM
As many of you guys already know, those who attend post secondary education almost always experience yearly tuition increases. Just as a point of information, i'm interested in finding out what you ppl, especially those who attend the U of C, think.

1) Do you know what the SU is doing for tuition?

2) If not, what would you like to see done. (IE: Attacking
Admin?/Government?, campaign to education public?...)

pinoyhero
11-06-2003, 10:35 PM
People complain a whole lot about tuition being so high. Consider this if tuition wasn't high, the univeristy wouldn't be able to pay and attract high quality professors. Without the ability to do this the dergree you pay for would be less valuable. Basically, post secondary education is a business, if you don't want to get a better job and make more money, don't go. If you do, pony up get a student loan, get a better job and then pay it off. If the U was giving out free rides, you would most likely end up paying it back in taxes later in life anyway and a ton of people who should be there would be in for the free trial.

WhiteNikes
11-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
People complain a whole lot about tuition being so high. Consider this if tuition wasn't high, the univeristy wouldn't be able to pay and attract high quality professors. Without the ability to do this the dergree you pay for would be less valuable. Basically, post secondary education is a business, if you don't want to get a better job and make more money, don't go. If you do, pony up get a student loan, get a better job and then pay it off. If the U was giving out free rides, you would most likely end up paying it back in taxes later in life anyway and a ton of people who should be there would be in for the free trial.
:werd:

In my little time at the UofC I've heard a lot of complaints about tuition, but nuff cats ain't really wanna do nothin' 'bout it. The SU'd hold some meeting and similar anti-tuition events, but the students would not attend.

davidI
11-06-2003, 10:42 PM
I totally agree...I don't mind paying a lot if I'm going to get a good education. Unfortunately, I find a lot of my classes involve worthless group projects or professors re-stating what is written in the text books. Not to mention that the halls are packed with idiots...I guess I'm just not motivated regardless of what the tuition is with the current structure of the school.

kaput
11-06-2003, 10:51 PM

speedracer
11-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Tuition cost is one thing - What the University has to offer is another. Look at every department and tell me where money is wisely spent at UC?

The "new" over budget ICT building looks to be falling apart... Board of Directors somehow get a raise when each department must cut back funding...

Coming from a University that is ranked 24 out of what 25.. I see value there ;)

Weapon_R
11-06-2003, 11:11 PM
For myself, I agree with tuition costs - I don't think it's very expensive at all, especially when the U of C and the U of A rival some of the American's better universities at about a 1/4 of their cost.

What's interesting is that the government funds a large portion of this, but University graduates actually save a lot of money for the government because less than 9% of degree holders EVER use social services and provincial subsidies, compared to a much higher degree for those who do not have degrees.

Any thoughts on what the university should be doing?

pinoyhero
11-07-2003, 06:41 AM
And I thought I was going to get flamed for speaking the truth, this board never ceases to amaze me. There turly are intellegent people on here.

davidI
11-07-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by speedracer
Tuition cost is one thing - What the University has to offer is another. Look at every department and tell me where money is wisely spent at UC?

I love all the flat screen LCD's in Scurfield too...those are damn nice screens that I dont' think the school really needs. I'm sure the school got a deal on them yada yada yada but maybe they could be expanding Mac Hall or lowering the number of students allowed in so I can actually sit down and eat my lunch one day. Personally, I'd rather have a seat for lunch than a gorgeous LCD to look at every once in a while.

02bump'nWRX
11-07-2003, 09:03 AM
I agree. I think like any public institution it is poorly managed from a financial standpoint. I have no problem paying for more tuition if i knew the money was well spent; ie. getting good profs, expanding the university but not buying crappy statues and lcd monitors when normal ones will do.

But i guess compared to US schools we have it easy. My cousin is looking at schools in the states and the average tuition is 16,000USD a year!!!! Her sister goes to an ivy league school and pays 45,000usd a year!!! good thing for those scholarships. But My cousins parents are trying to convince her to come to school in canada because it is sooo much cheaper or a similar quality of education. Even with paying non resident fees tuition is still cheaper than damn near any US school. So i think UofC is her #1 pick aslong as DavidI can keep his hands off her.... that bastard!

davidI
11-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 02bump'nWRX
So i think UofC is her #1 pick aslong as DavidI can keep his hands off her.... that bastard!

You mean as long as she can keep her hands off me :dunno:

:bigpimp: :poosie: :poosie:

sputnik
11-07-2003, 09:11 AM
I find it funny how Canadians complain about tuition costs...

Have a look at what the US students are paying south of the border and you will soon shut up.

WhiteNikes
11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 02bump'nWRX
I agree. I think like any public institution it is poorly managed from a financial standpoint. I have no problem paying for more tuition if i knew the money was well spent; ie. getting good profs, expanding the university but not buying crappy statues and lcd monitors when normal ones will do.

Excactly, sure we do get cheaper education than the US, but I.m pretty sure that if the school one is attending is very well rated the tuition wouldn't be a huge factor, because one would see very clearly where his money is going.