PDA

View Full Version : Red Light/ Speed Cameras

89coupe
08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Anyone on here know exactly how those cameras are setup? Do they focus on just one lane or multiple lanes? How does the camera determine which vehicle is speeding if there are 3 vehicles side by side in every lane?

Just curious?

Thanks

FraserB
08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
They are aimed at all lanes going in the direction they are pointed. I dont think that they can differentiate between cars for the speed on green portion which is why so few are issued. Running a red light, it doesnt matter if you are the only one in the intersection or not, you both ran the light.

Sharpie
08-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I am pretty sure for the photoradar you have to be the only one in the photo for it to be ligit.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Yup I've been in the intersection with another car when BOTH flashes went off, never got the ticket, how can they prove who triggered the camera?

speedog
08-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Was discussing exactly what 89coupe posted last night with my wife as we went through such an intersection. Probably, it's a laser speed trap and because of the laser's accuracy, they can probably have three lasers going out focused at the same distance on all three lanes. Still not a sure proof method of picking a single vehicle out of a bunch,but probably fairly effective. Just wondering out loud here.

89coupe
08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Cause I got one in the mail the other day and it shows my vehicle in one lane along with two other vehicles on either side of me. I think I may fight this if what you are saying is true.

http://www.bradstaylor.com/images/ticket.jpg

Doozer
08-15-2009, 02:33 PM
The fact that it has the speed listed with the specific lane you're in (your ticket for Lane 2) makes me think that you might need more than "other cars in the intersection" to fight it.

I think it's worth a shot, but I'd do some more digging before going to court with that. It seems like they're at least doing SOMETHING that gives them an idea of the speed per lane.

Z_Fan
08-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Here is the list of all the traffic cameras in Calgary:

001 - Macleod Tr / 162 Av SE

002 - Macleod Tr /12 Ave SE

003 - Centre St/ 20 Ave N

004 - John Laurie Bv / 53 St NW

005 - 68ST /16 Ave NE

006 - Sarcee Tr / Richmond Rd SW

007 - 4 St / 6 Ave SW

008 - 61 Ave / Barlow Tr SE

009 - Crowchild Tr / 24 Ave NW

010 - 11 Ave / 4 St SW

011 - 11 Ave / 14 St SW

012 - 17 Ave / 44 St SE

013 - 14 St / Heritage Dr SW

014 - 14 St / Northmount Dr NW

015 - 64 Ave / 4 St NE

016 - Anderson Rd / Acadia Dr SE

017 - 9 Ave / 11 St SW

018 - Barlow Ttr / 32 Ave NE

019 - 52 ST / 32 AVE NE

020 - Bowness Rd / Shaganappi Tr NW

021 - Canyon Meadows Dr / Bowbottom Tr SE

022 - Southland Dr / Acadia Dr SE

023 - Fairmount Dr / Southland Dr SE

024 - Elbow Dr / Southland Dr SW

025 - Beddington Tr / Centre St N

026 - Falconridge Bv / 64 Av NE

027 - 1 Street / 17 Ave SE

028 - McKnight Bv / Barlow Tr NE

029 - Barlow Tr / Centre Av E

030 - Shaganappi Tr / Northland Dr NW

031 - Blackfoot Tr / 42 Ave SE

032 - Memorial Dr / 52 St NE

033 - 16 Ave / 10 Street NW

034 - Edmonton Tr / McKnight BV NE

035 - Memorial Dr / 28 St NE

036 - Macleod Tr / 7 Ave SE

037 - Bow Tr / 33 St SW

038 - 17 Ave / 33 St SW

039 - Elbow Dr / Heritage Dr SW

040 - Country Hills Bv / Beddington Tr NW

041 - Glenmore Tr / Barlow Tr SE

042 - McKnight Bv / Falconridge Bv NE

043 - Macleod Tr / 25 Av SE

044 - Country Hills BV / 14 St NW

Just don't speed through those intersections. Ever.
;)

FraserB
08-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I guess I was wrong, looks like the sensors or whatever they use can differentiate between lanes. Interesting to know.

89coupe
08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I guess I was wrong, looks like the sensors or whatever they use can differentiate between lanes. Interesting to know.

I'd rather not guess and find out exactly how its done. I have a friend who has never paid for a photo radar ticket, he always wins. Maybe I will talk to him.

speedog
08-15-2009, 03:01 PM
If it's lasers, then they can pinpoint a location in a specific lane. Three lasers can do three separate lanes. Just wondering.

black13
08-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
Here is the list of all the traffic cameras in Calgary:

Just don't speed through those intersections. Ever.
;)

hey i'm wondering, aside from those intersections, I've seen speed camera signs in some places, not intersections but just in the middle of the road, like deerfoot, do these mean that cops often using photo radar in that area or is there a camera hidden somewhere there as well?

Toma
08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I'd rather not guess and find out exactly how its done. I have a friend who has never paid for a photo radar ticket, he always wins. Maybe I will talk to him.
Yes, and then spill the beans....

92rx7
08-15-2009, 06:02 PM
there is one at northbound 4th st. & 6th ave. sw as of yesterday.

i blasted through there and saw it go off.... no biggie as i have a covered plate.

FraserB
08-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 92rx7
there is one at northbound 4th st. & 6th ave. sw as of yesterday.

i blasted through there and saw it go off.... no biggie as i have a covered plate.

Get ready for a ban lol

92rx7
08-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Get ready for a ban lol

why?

B4tMan
08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I have a friend who has never paid for a photo radar ticket

I have two who've never paid.
One does not drive and the other's driving a firetruck ...

Jokes aside, I just learned speed there on 17th is 50, not 60.

HondaKid
08-15-2009, 06:49 PM
I was blasting around Calgary in my sister's new car, an RSX with a vehicle permit. Thought to myself, perfect.... no tickets from those cameras!

Xamim
08-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Do they count the lanes from the left or the right? If it is from the left, then it was the truck... and if it is from the right, well then it's you.

dexlargo
08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
My understanding is that the lanes are counted from the leftmost to the rightmost. So the #2 lane would be the one with the white truck in it. If your vehicle is the G35, then the ticket may be defective on that basis.

Lane detection for the photos is determined by sensors embedded in the road.

I'm not sure how speed is measured - it could be by radar or by the embedded sensors. You could try pleading not guilty and raising this as a possible defence - ask the officer whether he can be certain that the speed measured was your vehicle's and not one of those beside it, and if he is certain, why is he certain?

I talked to a photo radar operator (the ones in the vans) once about a ticket that I received that had another vehicle travelling beside mine in the photo. The officer told me that they look at the pictures and try to filter those ones out. I could have brought in my ticket and it would have been withdrawn. Unfortunately, my wife had already paid it without talking to me.

Maybe that applies to these tickets.

revelations
08-15-2009, 11:00 PM
No, this is a non-laser, non-radar operating system.

There are two sets of sensors in each of the lanes that are under watch.

They use a time differential method between the two induction loops to determine how fast you were going in your given lane.

Note that not all lanes at all 4 directions of the intersection are covered, just where the camera is aiming.

2fast4me
10-07-2009, 10:18 AM
How does it work if say, you are waiting to turn left (you are in the middle of the intersection waiting for on-coming traffic to clear) and the light turned RED as you're waiting to turn?

Also on the same token, if you are the second car waiting to turn? So there are two cars in the intersection, who gets the ticket or none at all?

beyond_ban
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM

scat19
10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
89coupe, this thread is 2 months old - updates?

ryder_23
10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 2fast4me
How does it work if say, you are waiting to turn left (you are in the middle of the intersection waiting for on-coming traffic to clear) and the light turned RED as you're waiting to turn?

Also on the same token, if you are the second car waiting to turn? So there are two cars in the intersection, who gets the ticket or none at all?

Measures before the intersection.

I always thought there were two pictures taken. If so that would also help determine which was speeding, or confirm all vehicles were speeding, no?

beyond_ban
10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Two pictures are taken... One right when you enter the intersection, and one as your exiting. I don't think its used for speed monitoring as both pictures have your recorded speed at the top in a bar of information.

Edit: I misread... And i am not sure whether or not that would help them.

texasnick
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by revelations
No, this is a non-laser, non-radar operating system.

I can confirm this. I don't pick up even the slightest radar or laser when I go through these types of interections.

What would be useful is to know where exactly in these intersections the speed sensors are located. I never know when I can start speeding up again once I clear the intersection.

lilmira
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by texasnick

I can confirm this. I don't pick up even the slightest radar or laser when I go through these types of interections.

What would be useful is to know where exactly in these intersections the speed sensors are located. I never know when I can start speeding up again once I clear the intersection.

Just look at the surface of the road, you should be able to see signs of re-paving near the intersection right by the stop line.

syritis
03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Just look at the surface of the road, you should be able to see signs of re-paving near the intersection right by the stop line.

or the massive sign showing a camera in all 4 directions of the intersection. or even the massive bright white pole with a box on the top. kinda hard to miss these.