PDA

View Full Version : Laying sod question

JC522
08-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I did some research on how to prep the lawn for sod and some sites say that I should roto till up the whole area and other sites say not to because you'll bring more weed seeds to the surface. But I don't think that would affect me because I planned to lay fertilizer pellets with corn glutten in it also to inhibit seed growth.

Can anyone clarify if I should roto till the area before I lay top soil? Also does anyone have or know where I can rent a roto tiller?

nismodrifter
08-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I would till it, level it all out, then lay the sod.

You can rent one from Home Depot.

James Winz
08-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I work for a landscaping company and we rarely roto till it. How many weeds does your yard have in it right now?

JC522
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
one side of my fence is built and the backpart of the fence was built too. It's about 10 posts long and 5.5 posts wide (backyard). Haven't gotten around to taking actual measurements yet. But basically all square footage of my backyard is covered in weeds, waiting for round up to take effect but I'm getting impatient and probably just gonna mow them all down with a mower

Graham_A_M
08-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Dont till the soil, instead use "weed & Feed" A type of fertilizer soon to be banned due to its (weed oriented) herbicide factor. You can get a bag at home depot for $13. That'll really help eliminate any weeds & gives your sod a head start.
When you till the soil when laying sod: it makes it very difficult to gauge how high or low the sod will be when the ground is finally compacted over time.

surferbaby13
10-03-2010, 08:50 AM
ok it all depends what you are rototilling...if its sod then you can rotitile it....if its bare with many weeds.....first you have to pick all of those weeds...than you rototill it than add at least 3 yards of loam. best loam is near okotoks.....than get your sod from manderly best sod in town...i can guarantee it. make sure you grade the loam than roll it....packs it down......than fert ...than rake out any footprints....lay the sod like a staircase.....than fert again and wet it...than roll it...than wet it again and I guarantee you the most beautiful yard in your block!