PDA

View Full Version : LF: Decent eyewear places that have free eye exams.

Graham_A_M
08-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey guys, its time for Grambo to get some glasses, and my main eye clinic charges a mint for an eye exam, AND glasses over on top of that. So I need to find a different place that isn't so needlessly pricey.

Any good ones in the SE or SW? I know some clinics offer free eye exams, and if I can save $175, plus anything extra on the glasses then I'd much rather go that route. :dunno:

Thanks a lot for reading this and offering any suggestions you can. :)

copynpaste
08-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I work at an eyewear store and we dont have free exams but we have $125 off a complete pair of glasses right now, plus prescription sunglasses starting at $129, or if youre 17 and under you get free basic lenses.

08-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
I work at an eyewear store and we dont have free exams but we have $125 off a complete pair of glasses right now, plus prescription sunglasses starting at $129, or if youre 17 and under you get free basic lenses.

and which store might this be?

HiSpec
08-16-2009, 03:25 AM
lenscrafters

ZMan2k2
08-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Look in the phone book under "Opthamologist". They are covered by Alberta Health Care. I have a good one over in the NW on 16 ave, by Home Rd. Her name is Dr. Arlene Ball. They will provide the prescription, then you go wherever you like.

*edit* Just talked with my wife about it, and she said you need a referral to get in. So make an appt. with your doctor to get a referral first.

TimG
08-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Unless things have changed in the last few years, eye exams are not covered under AHC. i had to pay $90 for one 2 years ago and our benefits plan at work specifically has a credit to put towards eye exams or Rx Glasses.

OP: I heard an ad on the radio for this place called Optics International on 130 @ Deerfoot. free eye exams and they have a sale in august where 1/2 of the frame price is credited towards your lenses.

Xtrema
08-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Most places that has Opticians can test for free when you buy their glasses.

Optometrist will charge and it's not covered by AHC. Need extra insurance to cover that.

logix
08-16-2009, 09:48 AM
We are having a 40% off frames and 40% off sunglasses sale that started yesterday and goes until Sept 15. We also do free onsite sight tests(by optician)

www.plusmaeyewear.com
#122, 1111 - 6 AV SW (Block away from the 10th Street C-Train station)

AMFH403
08-16-2009, 11:03 AM
If your good at haggling with asian people i'd say try visions in downtown across Thai Thai. I got hundreds off my glasses and contacts and i think they give a free eye exam when the optician is in. That or you can just try to get it included.

Amysicle
08-16-2009, 01:31 PM
By Grambo, do you mean a senior over the age of 65?

If so, they may qualify to have their eye exam covered.
Optometric services (vision)
Benefits are payable if the services are received in Alberta. Benefits are limited to one complete exam, one partial exam and one diagnostic procedure per benefit year for children under 19 years of age and seniors 65 years of age and over. There are additional benefits for some conditions. Optometrists cannot charge their patients for services covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. Ask your optometrist for more details.

Source: http://www.health.alberta.ca/documents/AHCIP-brochure-AHC0009.pdf

Because I remember at my optometrist's office, they had a sign displayed for the fees and I remember it saying for people between the ages of 18 - 65 years of age, you pay $80 for a complete eye exam.

vietdood
08-16-2009, 01:31 PM
don't know any in the SE/SW but the two i know of that give free eye exams if you purchase their frames and lenses are in the NE. one of them is in the Pacific mall on 36th (asian) and the other one is in the strip mall on memorial and madigan drive (brown).

HiSpec
08-16-2009, 05:38 PM
It is somewhat a good thing that we live in Alberta where opticians are allow to do sight test. Where as in Ontario only ODs are allow to perform any sight test and eye examination.

2.2vtec
08-16-2009, 05:40 PM
+ma eyewear
Martin is a great guy

403-452-7588

Tell him Danny sent you.

Graham_A_M
08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
By Grambo, do you mean a senior over the age of 65?

If so, they may qualify to have their eye exam covered.
Optometric services (vision)
Benefits are payable if the services are received in Alberta. Benefits are limited to one complete exam, one partial exam and one diagnostic procedure per benefit year for children under 19 years of age and seniors 65 years of age and over. There are additional benefits for some conditions. Optometrists cannot charge their patients for services covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. Ask your optometrist for more details.

Source: http://www.health.alberta.ca/documents/AHCIP-brochure-AHC0009.pdf

Because I remember at my optometrist's office, they had a sign displayed for the fees and I remember it saying for people between the ages of 18 - 65 years of age, you pay $80 for a complete eye exam.

"Grambo" being me, as my name is Graham.
im 26 BTW

Thanks a lot for this response and every other one here. I have some calling around to do tomorrow (Monday).

Greatly appreciated. :)

logix
08-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by logix
We are having a 40% off frames and 40% off sunglasses sale that started yesterday and goes until Sept 15. We also do free onsite sight tests(by optician)

www.plusmaeyewear.com

Originally posted by 2.2vtec
+ma eyewear
Martin is a great guy

403-452-7588

Tell him Danny sent you.

haha :thumbsup:

adam c
08-16-2009, 10:01 PM

www.plusmaeyewear.com

do you need an appointment to get your eyes tested?

max_boost
08-16-2009, 10:06 PM

haha :thumbsup:

I'll probably come by sometime this week and support.

Should I mention Beyond? haha

logix
08-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by adam c

do you need an appointment to get your eyes tested?

We do prefer appointments, but if you dropped by and asked, Martin might be able to fit you in.

Give him a shout at 452-7588 if you want to book an appointment

Originally posted by max_boost

I'll probably come by sometime this week and support.

Should I mention Beyond? haha

Sure! It'll be awesome to see some beyond support :bigpimp:

Thanks!
-Alex