PDA

View Full Version : End of ebay?

raymondman
08-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I used to use ebay a lot, its defintiely gone downhill though. All their new stuff is hard to navigate and theres so much fraud they have to monitor everything carefully and have hard time distingushing legit stuff from scams. (like they did with alot of my stuff)

i never go on there anymore.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:EBAY

kevie88
08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I never use it anymore either..

natejj
08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Whats your general point/question? I use ebay a ton still, all it takes is some common sense to avoid a scam. Been using ebay since grade 5!

v2kai
08-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Whats your general point/question? I use ebay a ton still, all it takes is some common sense to avoid a scam. Been using ebay since grade 5! :werd:
me too

raymondman
08-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Whats your general point/question? I use ebay a ton still, all it takes is some common sense to avoid a scam. Been using ebay since grade 5!

Its just getting shittier imo, when you're a seller you get charged a listing fee, final value fee and PayPal fee. That's 3 different fees. New interface is crappy, to bid on stuff they now require credit card + phone verification, etc. Brokerage fees up the ass. I don't even know where to start.

TorqueDog
08-16-2009, 02:26 PM
[shrug] I still use eBay for a ton of stuff, doesn't seem to have gone downhill to me.

Unless, by downhill, you mean more mainstream which means more users, resulting in more listings and a greater variety of products available... which isn't downhill at all, so I don't know what you're trying to get at. eBay has to make money somehow, so the fees aren't unreasonable, IMO.

If you want to sell your shit for free, make your own website. :p Or use Kijiji or Craigslist.

natejj
08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by raymondman

Its just getting shittier imo, when you're a seller you get charged a listing fee, final value fee and PayPal fee. That's 3 different fees. New interface is crappy, to bid on stuff they now require credit card + phone verification, etc. Brokerage fees up the ass. I don't even know where to start.

It's always been that way to sell, i never sell shit on ebay, only buy, too much hassle to sell.

As for bidding... I dont know where you get your info, If I want to place a bid, i log in, and bid. I dont call anyone or give my credit card. Only once when I signed up for paypal!

Importz
08-16-2009, 02:55 PM
it went downhill for sellers more then buyers...

Cooked Rice
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Use to use ebay all the time. Used it maybe once this last year. May be due to recession as well.

PeterGTiR
08-16-2009, 03:01 PM
The Google Finance link you posted shows that they are still turning a profit from operations of $400 million for the last quarter. I'd have to say that it'll be a long time before the end of eBay.

Tik-Tok
08-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by PeterGTiR
I'd have to say that it'll be a long time before the end of eBay.

I don't think you're understand the thread title/original post. Obviously they are going out of business since he's going to stop using them... at least that's what I got out of it.

93hustler
08-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Importz
it went downhill for sellers more then buyers...

:werd:

black13
08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Fuck ebay and Paypal! They practically have a monopoly going for them.

And yea if your a seller, your almost always fucked. In almost any dispute, they favor the buyer and make the seller even pay the shipping. It's ridiculous.

Time for Google or someone to step up and make a much better system.

spikerS
08-18-2009, 11:32 PM
i don't buy anything on ebay anymore. It used to be full of deals, but now most things are listed as buy it now with bid and BIN prices 0.05 apart.

Most times, when I compare prices on ebay to what i can get locally, i save money buying locally now.

Ebay used to be the place to get deals, not so much any more.

Mibz
08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I buy old video games with eBay because you get ripped right the fuck off locally.

I use Paypal to buy car parts from guys in Edmonton and Ontario. I can't remember the last time I said "Man, going to the bank and getting a money order is sweet! I can't wait to mail this out, wait a week and then get confirmation that my part has been shipped! Holy crap, then it'll only be another week before my shit gets here! YES!".

I agree that sellers are getting boned but that's the price you pay for an international auction service with the highest number of trustworthy buyers. I won't look at Kijiji or CL whether I'm buying or selling.

masoncgy
08-19-2009, 09:49 AM
eBay used to be a great place to pick up the oddest of oddities one could want... and there wasn't all of this 'buy it now' crap...

It just seems like it's been completely taken over by E-Commerce business... it's not the same buy & sell place for individuals like it used to be...

I never seem to be able to find the things that I used to be able to find on there... and if you do, the prices are pretty ridiculous because you're paying for someone's business, not just for their product.

Meh.