PDA

View Full Version : Whats good around Southland and Macleod?

Street_Soldier
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
I work in that area and was wondering what is there to eat that isnt obvious, asian cuisine, mexican, pretty much open to anything.

Mibz
08-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Everything in that area is pretty "obvious".

nonlinear
08-17-2009, 10:38 AM
it's not really the best area in the city for good food. how far are you willing to drive from that intersection? best mexican in alberta is on the very west end of southland. good pizza at gondola on acadia.

Mibz
08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
best mexican in alberta is on the very west end of southland. Mi Tierra? I've seen that place a couple times but never went. I'll have to give it a try now.

masoncgy
08-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Mr. Mike's opened up at Southland Crossing not too long ago, and Mike Burgers are f'in delicious... I grew up on those bad boys in BC... was happy to see a location open up.

Give it a try. I've been there once and the food was excellent.

nonlinear
08-17-2009, 11:29 AM
^^i've never been to Mr. Mikes, but i've heard nothing but terrible things about it. John Gilchrist gave it a 5/10 (and we know he usually gives nothing lower than an 8 or 9), and i've also heard bad things on chowhound and/or beyond.

for what it's worth :dunno:

EDIT: there is also Moti Mahal at avenida, south a bit on macleod.

G-ZUS
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Do you work @ the Alberta Health Services southport tower/

livinlarge89
08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I always liked a place called Banzai I think, in the minimall thing with Safeway, for the spicy chicken bowls

Street_Soldier
08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah I go to Mi Terra every now and then

I visit the Vietnamese place on Elbow and Glenmore all the time too.

I m asking about places like those that you normally dont see unless you go and look for them.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, any others?

Mibz
08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
EDIT: there is also Moti Mahal at avenida, south a bit on macleod. WAT? MM only has two locations: 17th Ave and Midnapore. I'm not sure there's an Indian place in Avenida to be honest.

sputnik
08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Mr. Mike's opened up at Southland Crossing not too long ago, and Mike Burgers are f'in delicious... I grew up on those bad boys in BC... was happy to see a location open up.

Give it a try. I've been there once and the food was excellent.

Mediocre at best. I found the burgers to be decent but over priced (a burger and beer shouldn't cost more than $20 with tax and tip IMO).

The service at that place is a WHOLE other story.

I have been there for lunch a few times and the place has been completely DEAD and it still takes FOREVER to get your food.

sputnik
08-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by livinlarge89
I always liked a place called Banzai I think, in the minimall thing with Safeway, for the spicy chicken bowls

Really? I have been to that location once and never again.

Perhaps if you like nothing but rice, cabbage and dry chicken for lunch it is a good option.

sputnik
08-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I work in the area and there are lots of places to go within walking distance.

- Black Swan
- Boston Pizza
- Jack Astors
- Subway
- Mr Sub
- KFC
- Burger Inn
- White Spot
- Earls
- Broken Plate
- Caesar's Steak House
- Wellington's Steak House
- McDonalds (in Wal-Mart)
- Olly Frescos (in the AHS tower behind Colt)

My two picks would be The Black Swan and Olly Fresco's

The Black Swan is a typical grungy pub. However the food is pretty good and cheap (a burger and side is under $10). A great deal is their Prime Rib lunch special that comes around once a week (check the chalkboard when you walk in). It's a full slice of prime rib on garlic toast with a side for $12. It was surprising done PERFECTLY each time I have gotten it and a great deal.

Olly Fresco's is kinda like a Sunterra, but they have a hot/cold buffet at lunch (charged by weight) that is REALLY good. They have a good mix of food and you can actually get a pretty good "meat and potatoes" meal for under $10. Their soups are also made from scratch and they have a ton of other things to choose from there.

Mibz
08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I used to hit the Swan for lunch every now and then from Visions and they never really disappointed. They do take-out too!

Ordering cheeseburger and poutine as I type this.

xLostx
08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Mr. Mikes does have good burgers, and their steak sandwich is tasty as well, for $10 for either with a side of fries I think it's a good deal

edit - well its like $12 if you want cheese and bacon...but still.

240SX92
08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Take the 10 or so minutes to drive down macleod to chinook area and hit Keiths Deli, near the BMO/Red Lobster.

Get a Large Keiths special.

/thread.

n1zm0
08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 240SX92
Take the 10 or so minutes to drive down macleod to chinook area and hit Keiths Deli, near the BMO/Red Lobster.

/thread.

+1, it's $$$ but worth it everynow and then

other than that sputnik pretty much covered it oh and is Tokyo Garden still across the street? havent been there for ages.

Mibz
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Tokyo Garden's still beside Classic Q there, yeah, but I was never really impressed with them.

Pahnda
08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I work at one of the offices there also; sometime I'll have to scope stuff out around here, haha... I live in the NW and now I rarely ever go to the south other than going to Chinook or going to work... So I have no idea what's up.

So how many beyonders actually work at or around the Southport office park?

eb0i
08-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 240SX92

/thread.

What is in this Large Keith's special you speak of?

aaronck
08-17-2009, 02:13 PM
The Good
Burger inn-Great burgers
Banzai-not bad for a quick rice bowl
Black Swan-great pub food, mostly under $10
White Spot-good burgers and sandwiches
Wellingtons Lounge-great $$ Steak Sandwich

Ollie Fresco's is actually really good-It's in the lobby of my building and serves up a great variety, and a lot of it is made from scratch.
Breakfasts are good as well

the Bad
Mr Mikes. Horrible Service and mediocre overpriced food

The other
BPs- I’ve never understood why anyone sober would eat there, late night it tastes MUCH better
Jack Astors-it's ok, but also overrated.

Used to be a Vietnamese place in the Safeway plaza that was ok, new name and owners-I really hope it’s good!

Mibz
08-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
Used to be a Vietnamese place in the Safeway plaza that was ok, new name and owners-I really hope it’s good! Wait, they're putting a -new- Vietnamese place where Pho Hoai was?

sputnik
08-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Wait, they're putting a -new- Vietnamese place where Pho Hoai was?

The Pho Hoai franchise owners pulled their franchise because they weren't keeping their food quality up to the Pho Hoai downtown location.

So it will probably be the same place with the same food and just a different name.

dannie
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Not a lunch place, but there is a bulk food store in the Southland Crossing between the TD bank and the Safeway. They have tons of bulk snacks, candy, spices etc. I pop in there and grab a few different snacks when I go on road trips. Really well priced, super nice owners. Its called Weigh to Go.

Redwater Grill is relatively close to all the places listed above. I will second Mi Tierra a hundred times over. Theres a Bad Ass Jacks at Southland and Elbow as well as a planet organic in the same strip that does quick lunches. Tommy Burger is alright as well.

Pahnda
08-17-2009, 03:22 PM
^^
Superstore bulk :love:

Mibz
08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

The Pho Hoai franchise owners pulled their franchise because they weren't keeping their food quality up to the Pho Hoai downtown location.

So it will probably be the same place with the same food and just a different name. Too little, too late I guess. I already prefer the extra 5 minute drive to Nha Trang so I can listen to J-Pop while I eat.

nonlinear
08-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
WAT? MM only has two locations: 17th Ave and Midnapore. I'm not sure there's an Indian place in Avenida to be honest.

oops... sorry, got confused for a sec! yea, midnapore is right! :nut:

great food there, though. IMO some of the best indian in the city.

Street_Soldier
08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Do you work @ the Alberta Health Services southport tower/

Yup

Disoblige
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM
When I was in Edmonton, I really enjoyed the Beef Dip at Mr. Mikes. Everything was perfect, from garlic toasted bread, the steak, the dip. :drool:
Not sure if they even have it at the Calgary location though, but I had a good experience at Mr. Mikes

Otherwise, there is still the Treasure of China buffet in the area that's now called Asian Buffet. It's not bad if I'm in the area :dunno:

scary_perry
08-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Bolsa - the food will slay you

scary_perry
08-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
The Good
Black Swan-great pub food, mostly under $10

... and they show lots of sports on their screens - great during soccer season.

Broken Plate in Willowpark is good.
The Italian market near Cyclepath has really good canoli - gone by 1 PM usually.
There is an Indian Buffet near Co-Op thats good.

masoncgy
08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
What is in this Large Keith's special you speak of?

Spicy sausage, melted cheese, bit of lettuce, butter, mayo, mustard & a dash of black pepper... on a white or whole wheat bun.

To die for... you will taste it for about 48 hours after, but it's so good... mmmm.

I know what's for lunch tomorrow! :)

240SX92
08-17-2009, 10:41 PM

Spicy sausage, melted cheese, bit of lettuce, butter, mayo, mustard & a dash of black pepper... on a white or whole wheat bun.

To die for... you will taste it for about 48 hours after, but it's so good... mmmm.

I know what's for lunch tomorrow! :)

Hahah reading your message I think I know what's for lunch too.

Me and my buddy ate Keiths (he had double meat) one day, and he was making himself burp for the rest of the day, and I thought since they were forced and fake they wouldn't smell. Then he brewed up a huge belch in my face, I almost threw up... Closest i've had to almost throwing up from something not alcohol or sick induced.

But these sandwiches are just pure garlic sausage and melted cheese. Sooooooooooo tasty. :drool:

nonlinear
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
where is this Keith's place you guys speak of? is it only open during the weekdays, or evenings and weekends too?

Phenix
08-18-2009, 09:09 AM
There is that little Italian Place in willow park off of macleod. Its pretty good.

Stay awy from the susi place there though.

BIg date in that area? lol

n1zm0
08-18-2009, 09:58 AM
where is this Keith's place you guys speak of? is it only open during the weekdays, or evenings and weekends too?

iirc it was only open during normal business hours (till 3 or 4?) i've never seen it open later than that.

the red lobster on mac trail, then east of it in the plaza next to the post office and the '2 legit to quit' clothes store lol

masoncgy
08-18-2009, 10:25 AM

It's right across from Chinook Centre on the east side of Macleod, north of 61 Ave SW, right behind the Red Lobster in that strip mall.

They're open Monday to Friday from about 10-4... then Saturday for a few hours too... I think 11-3 or something...

They're very much old school in terms of payment. They don't take debit or credit cards... all cash, GST included in the prices.

240SX92
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM

It's right across from Chinook Centre on the east side of Macleod, north of 61 Ave SW, right behind the Red Lobster in that strip mall.

They're open Monday to Friday from about 10-4... then Saturday for a few hours too... I think 11-3 or something...

They're very much old school in terms of payment. They don't take debit or credit cards... all cash, GST included in the prices.

Good call haha forgot to mention cash only. See any of you there for lunch in about 2 hours? hahah.

RX_EVOLV
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
what an awesome thread as this is right around my area.

I personally thinks Tommy burger bar is pretty good and very reasonably priced ($11 for a blue cheese burger, cheaper than your Joeys, Moxies, Milestone....) and some of the waitress are :drool:

I have two questions for you guys.

1) where is this indian restaurant that some of you are talking about? do they have buffet? I've been craving butter chicken buffet for the longest time, but don't want to drive all the way to Royal India in downtown, and pay parking plus $17.

2) Which is the best pho around around here? Bolsa, the south center place, S2k, sunshine by canyon meadow, the one by elbow/glenmore, Rice king or watever....

sputnik
08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
I personally thinks Tommy burger bar is pretty good and very reasonably priced ($11 for a blue cheese burger, cheaper than your Joeys, Moxies, Milestone....) and some of the waitress are :drool:

Except for the fact that $11 only includes the burger and you have to pay extra for any sides.

sputnik
08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
1) where is this indian restaurant that some of you are talking about? do they have buffet? I've been craving butter chicken buffet for the longest time, but don't want to drive all the way to Royal India in downtown, and pay parking plus $17.

Its in the same parking lot as the CO-OP.

Its decent.

RX_EVOLV
08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
^^ last time I went it included quite a generous order of fries ? ( in its little basket)

240SX92
08-18-2009, 10:52 AM
You sure you're not thinking of Fat Burger?

Tommy Burger serves their burgers on plates, and does "Cones" of fries :) (at least when I was there early summer)

And a full meal ends up being close to 20$ with tip/drink.

sputnik
08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
^^ last time I went it included quite a generous order of fries ? ( in its little basket)

Must be new.

The last time I was there they charged you for your burger and the side separately.

RX_EVOLV
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM
oh Fat is pretty aweosme too

hmm last time I went was .. 3 weeks ago.. $11 for burger including fries.. $6.50 or something for a beer.... I'm very sure I didnt pay extra for the fries.

I guess this is also $20 including tips/drink.

dannie
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM

2) Which is the best pho around around here? Bolsa, the south center place, S2k, sunshine by canyon meadow, the one by elbow/glenmore, Rice king or watever....

I didnt like the Buffet at the place by Coop. If you are gonna do indian buffet, drive to Moti Mahal in Midnapore. Much better food.

Pho down here sucks. The only one that I really like is Minas in Avenida mall.

Oh, that reminds me, there is an Original Joes in that strip mall now too.

RX_EVOLV
08-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I will check out Minas. Is the Moti Mahal all you can eat?

while on topic. Avendia mall. is that the on the left side of Macloed doing south? beside those new condos?

nonlinear
08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Its in the same parking lot as the CO-OP.

Its decent.

nah, we've been talking about Moti Mahal in Midnapore, which is in an entirely different league than that place by swiss chalet haha

Mibz
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
while on topic. Avendia mall. is that the on the left side of Macloed doing south? beside those new condos? Yes.

tylere
08-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Problem with Ollie Fresco's is it seems to be pretty much the same thing after awhile. I ate there for like 3 weeks straight and cannot stand their buffet anymore, so plain. Their breakfast bagels and Baklava are amazing though :drool: Guess the only other good thing is I jump in the elevator and I'm there, nice and close.

sputnik
08-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by tylere
Problem with Ollie Fresco's is it seems to be pretty much the same thing after awhile. I ate there for like 3 weeks straight and cannot stand their buffet anymore, so plain. Their breakfast bagels and Baklava are amazing though :drool: Guess the only other good thing is I jump in the elevator and I'm there, nice and close.

I personally cant think of a restaurant that I wouldn't get tired of after eating there for 3 weeks straight.

dannie
08-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I will check out Minas. Is the Moti Mahal all you can eat?

while on topic. Avendia mall. is that the on the left side of Macloed doing south? beside those new condos?

Yeah, Moti Mahal is an all you can eat buffet. At Minas, my fav is the 15c the Thai style chicken sate soup. Soooo good.

The avenida Mall is near the new condos on Lake Fraser Dr. There is another little shop in there called Pies Plus. They apparently have great soups, sandwiches, quiches and of course pies. I havent personally been because I tend to forget its there.

Theres also a butcher in the same plaza if you wanted to pick up some steaks after work on a friday night. They have some wicked meats there.

nonlinear
08-18-2009, 01:38 PM
has anyone been to the London Fog Cafe, in the strip mall on heritage and macleod, near dominos? been wanting to try it for a long time, but i'm not around that area for lunch too often.

Mibz
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
has anyone been to the London Fog Cafe, in the strip mall on heritage and macleod, near dominos? been wanting to try it for a long time, but i'm not around that area for lunch too often. Is that the place that replaced Big T's BBQ? If so, I wouldn't eat there, I'm probably going to firebomb it.

nonlinear
08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
^^nah... father murphy's replaced that, and then the fly-by-night irish terrorist bar Sam McGuire's, and now it's a sports bar called Bill Baileys (another model that is bound to fail - sparsely-decorated sports bar with an overpriced, wannabe gastro-pub menu, that is totally out of place in the room.)...
London Fog is in the same strip mall as wok with chan, and dominos, and the drycleaners, etc...

scary_perry
08-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Montreal style bagels at the corner of Elbow and Heritage.

Only place in the South that makes them... I think.

They do a nice Lox. But the place is a dump so don't take a date there.

This is a great thread BTW

suen_boi
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Kinjo is decent for a quick lunch. The owner is there sometimes, and he'll give every female patron a free box of Pocky sticks.

nonlinear
08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by scary_perry
Montreal style bagels at the corner of Elbow and Heritage.

Only place in the South that makes them... I think.

They do a nice Lox. But the place is a dump so don't take a date there.

This is a great thread BTW

that place rules. $6.50/dozen on tuesdays!

GQNammer
08-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Bolsa restaraunt.
Friendly owners who will make your order any way you want. Their pho is a little pricey though. Think it's 12 bucks for a large bowl of thin sliced beef and beef balls. Their meat is quite fresh though. I always ask for it rare on the side and it's bright and red. Not like other places where it looks like there's freezer burn or has been sitting in the fridge for 4-5 days.

RX_EVOLV
08-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer
Bolsa restaraunt.
Friendly owners who will make your order any way you want. Their pho is a little pricey though. Think it's 12 bucks for a large bowl of thin sliced beef and beef balls. Their meat is quite fresh though. I always ask for it rare on the side and it's bright and red. Not like other places where it looks like there's freezer burn or has been sitting in the fridge for 4-5 days.

its not bad, but imo it is way too pricy. Their regular is like someone took a lid and flipped it over to use as a bowl, which cost $8.##. i cant imagine their $12 large to be any bigger.