PDA

View Full Version : Good resources for quality photos?

blitz
08-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I've been searching through the internet looking for good photos to learn from (mainly composition), but most of the forums I've found have a mix of high and low quality shots, with everything in between.

Anyone have any recommended websites or professional photographers galleries? (I've been through most of the ones linked in Beyonders signatures already).

Thanks!

Melinda
08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
What kind of photos are you looking for? Landscape, wedding, portrait, event, fine art, products? There's kind of a different set of 'rules' for each kind of photography!

KKY
08-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Have you tried searching for related groups in flickr? some of them are quite nice.

89coupe
08-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by blitz
I've been searching through the internet looking for good photos to learn from (mainly composition), but most of the forums I've found have a mix of high and low quality shots, with everything in between.

Anyone have any recommended websites or professional photographers galleries? (I've been through most of the ones linked in Beyonders signatures already).

Thanks!

This site has a nice collection of stuff, you will still have to filter through the good and bad though.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/ChallengesFinished.aspx

This is my favorite photographer.

http://www.peterlik.com/home.html

core_upt
08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Search pro sites:

veer.com
gettyimages.com
corbis.com

it's stock, but some is really quite good....

blitz
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the links guys.

Originally posted by Melinda
What kind of photos are you looking for? Landscape, wedding, portrait, event, fine art, products? There's kind of a different set of 'rules' for each kind of photography!

At the moment I'm interested in learning Landscapes and photographing people who aren't posing (if that's an official style).

KKY
08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
candid street shots? check out Bruce Gilden if you haven't already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

Luminous Landscape has some good info specific to landscape photography.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

blitz
08-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by KKY
candid street shots? check out Bruce Gilden if you haven't already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

lol, that seems a little creepy to me. I'm thinking less "surprising an old lady on the street" and more "capturing moments unobtrusively."

bcylau
08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
goto fredmiranda.com a lot of high level pro photogs (in the wedding section) plus lots of high level work in the other areas

quazimoto
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Mleh don't just go to Peter Liks website. Find out when he's going to a particular gallery. He likes to meet and talk with people looking to get serious into photography.

He's seriously the reason today why I am a professional photographer. I had the opportunity to meet with him and talk with him for several hours. This man is truly a genius and can teach and inspire you in ways that class rooms never could.

In my opinion, one of the very best photographers in the world. I've personally never seen another photographer that did better landscapes.

ex1z7
08-18-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.osphoto.ca/

Pretty legit.

Gibson
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Mleh don't just go to Peter Liks website. Find out when he's going to a particular gallery. He likes to meet and talk with people looking to get serious into photography.

He's seriously the reason today why I am a professional photographer. I had the opportunity to meet with him and talk with him for several hours. This man is truly a genius and can teach and inspire you in ways that class rooms never could.

In my opinion, one of the very best photographers in the world. I've personally never seen another photographer that did better landscapes.

Peter Lik has not one, but two storefronts in the Venetian in Las Vegas and ANOTHER one in Caesar's Palace. Absolutely mental.

quazimoto
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
It's amazing what a man can do with a $60,000 camera isn't it?

89coupe
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Gibson

Peter Lik has not one, but two storefronts in the Venetian in Las Vegas and ANOTHER one in Caesar's Palace. Absolutely mental.

I've been to one of his galleries in Vegas & another in Waikiki. It appears he has 4 in Vegas now.

He was my inspiration for photography, panos specifically.

quazimoto
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
You need to go meet the guy and actually see him work. I'm pretty sure all of his shots are not panos. They are single images. When I had the chance to talk to him in Maui I got to see the entire process. Most of the images in the galleries are taken on single slides. So while the photos look like multiple image panos they aren't.

The prints you see in his gallery that looks so beautiful and vibrants are printed on non-porous film media which looks like paper but isn't. This is why the color saturation and sharpness in his gallery images looks so damn impressive.

He's also one of those types that is 100% self taught as it was something I learned in his galleries, most schools can't teach you artistic integrity or what is artistic. You just go out day in and day out taking shots and seeing what works for you. Over time you develop that experience and eye for what will work and what won't.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty sure all of his shots are not panos. They are single images. When I had the chance to talk to him in Maui I got to see the entire process. Most of the images in the galleries are taken on single slides. So while the photos look like multiple image panos they aren't.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Golden. If it ain't stitched, it's not a panorama, guys! :rofl:

quazimoto
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
The term panoramic has to do with images that exceed the normal viewing depth of the human eye which many of his images do not. Cropped wide angle shots aren't exactly panoramic. When you see his photos in person though they create that effect since the gallery images are quite large.

Now when 89coupe takes 456 images and stitches them into one shot that shows 3/4th of the entire city of Calgary it is by far and above panoramic.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
The term panoramic has to do with images that exceed the normal viewing depth of the human eye which many of his images do not. Cropped wide angle shots aren't exactly panoramic. When you see his photos in person though they create that effect since the gallery images are quite large.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Seriously, stop it, you're killing me here. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You should probably send Peter Lik an email reminding him that his photos aren't panoramas and that they only look that way because he prints them really big.

Go4Long
08-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Now when 89coupe takes 456 images and stitches them into one shot that shows 3/4th of the entire city of Calgary it is by far and above panoramic.

456? garbage...here's a 1200 Raw file 5.3 gigapixel panorama...take that sucka :P

http://photoartkalmar.com/Photoart%20Kalmar%20high%20res/Gigapixel/KHM.Wien.html

but on a serious note, yes, going on a forum and saying you're looking for a resource for good pictures is somewhat similar to walking into a shoe store and saying you want a good pair of shoes without saying what kind you want. you're going to get about a million different answers...and still may end up going home with a hiking boot when you needed a dress shoe.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

all handily divided up into categories for you, some of the shots posted are great, some aren't, but generally the people that are brave enough to offer feedback on the shots posted are the people that actually know what they're talking about unlike many of the other forums that aren't dedicated to photography (unless of course you like shooting at F11 and never plan on shooting above 400 ISO and the only good thing you can think of to say about your pictures is they're hand held)