PDA

View Full Version : do you use Skype?

xttxt
08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't really understand how Skype works. It's supposed to be "free"? If you use Skype to call out does the receiving party also need to have Skype?

Please share your experiences.

adam c
08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
i don't, the gf does to call back home but i know how it works

it's easy, skype to skype calling is free, both users require it

skype to physical phone costs money and the end user doesn't require skype

dr_jared88
08-19-2009, 10:46 AM
skype used to be free (a couple years ago) to call land lines from your computer. Now the only free method is to both have skype and call computer to computer. Works slick if the other user can figure out how to install and use skype. Otherwise you need to pay to be able to call landline phones.

ntegra98rs
08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I've found skype out to be worth it for the most part. If you make a lot of long distance calls its way cheaper than paying your phone provider.

xttxt
08-19-2009, 10:50 AM
So if I want to use Skype on my cell phone, approximately how much data would be say a 10 minute conversation?

Also, how is the quality? or does that depend on your internet/data(mobile) connection?

dr_jared88
08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by xttxt
So if I want to use Skype on my cell phone, approximately how much data would be say a 10 minute conversation?

Also, how is the quality? or does that depend on your internet/data(mobile) connection?

Quoted from skypes site:

How much bandwidth does Skype use while I’m in a call? On average, Skype uses between 3-16 kilobytes/sec depending on bandwidth available for other party, network conditions in between, callers CPU performance, etc.

So I'd guestimate a meg a minute to be on the safe side even though average would be about half a meg/min. Quality would depend on network conditions. I've never tried a skype call from my blackberry but from my computer the end users couldn't tell the difference between me and a normal phone user.

ntegra98rs
08-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by xttxt

I'm not sure that you can even use skype on your phone ( I assume you have an iphone?). Quality is good, as long as your using a broadband connection, but yes it does depend on your internet connection.

dr_jared88
08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
There is an application that was release just recently that allows for skypeout calls. It's called IM+ and is available for iphone, blackberry and various other phones.

Street_Soldier
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Can I get a skype number that people can call to reach me from Skype or other LAN phones/ cellphones?

So lets say i have skype on my cellphone instead of someone calling my actual cell number can someone call my skype number to reach me?

jav_
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
you can callforward skype calls to ur cell phone

viff3r
08-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
There is an application that was release just recently that allows for skypeout calls. It's called IM+ and is available for iphone, blackberry and various other phones.
Another app called Fring does the same thing too. You have to be on wi-fi to make skype calls though, won't work over 3G.

dr_jared88
08-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Can I get a skype number that people can call to reach me from Skype or other LAN phones/ cellphones?

So lets say i have skype on my cellphone instead of someone calling my actual cell number can someone call my skype number to reach me?

You can get a skype number. Just the last time I checked they didn't have Canadian numbers. That may have changed.

Originally posted by viff3r

Another app called Fring does the same thing too. You have to be on wi-fi to make skype calls though, won't work over 3G.

IM+ works on both data and wifi apparently which makes it great.

xttxt
08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

IM+ works on both data and wifi apparently which makes it great.

Does the free version of IM+ allow you to use Skype?

gpomp
08-19-2009, 03:39 PM
i use the iphone skype app on 3g to make calls.

ZorroAMG
08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Skype sucks balls.

iChat owns all.

gpomp
08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Skype sucks balls.

iChat owns all. maybe you should read the thread before posting a reply?