PDA

View Full Version : Open Studies: Upgrading for Grad School - U of C

Kartelli
08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Looking for any insights for after hour classes at the U of C (starting at 6pm+). Easier the courses the better.

Essentially I'm an engineering grad with all entrance requirements for graduate studies except my last 60 credits combined being lower than 3.0.

Going for a hail mary here, 2 evening courses per sememster to bump up my gpa beyond 3.0.

Thanks!

cressida_pimpin
08-19-2009, 04:17 PM
What masters degree are you interested in? I was under the impression that it's the last 20 courses of YOUR DEGREE they look at. Pretty sure you can't take random junior courses to boost your GPA, but I could be wrong. Regardless, it would look weak if you take random classes in whatever just to get your grades up. I think the whole point of using the LAST 20 courses is so the admissions committee can see how well an applicant performed in senior level classes.

Pahnda
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
lawlz @ thread

Kartelli
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM
haha sorry for the lack of background.

MBA program for sept 2010. Scored high enough to be competitive on the GMAT exam. No problems here

I'll have 4.5 years experience when applying for the MBA program for 2010 including my P Eng designation. So work experience is covered.

Only issue I have is my undergrad GPA. Engineering sucked, I had 2.73 for my last 60 credits.

I've also realized I may have to take 5-8 classes with 3.7 or higher to bump it over the 3.0 minimum.

cressida_pimpin
08-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Call the school you want to attend. Some have a formula like this.

GPAx200+GMAT = _______ (ex. 1200)

So with a lower GPA (below 3.0) you might be able to get in with a high GMAT. Call them if you haven't already