PDA

View Full Version : Weird black crap coming out of the tap

interlude
08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
So once in awhile when my gf is running a bath, black shit comes out of the tap and into the tub, theres small chunks of black shit, I originally thought its pieces of carbon like what you would use in a fish tank.

When i pressed on the black chunk it smeared and felt kinda oily. Does anybody know what it is? It seems like it happens when we use hot water. Do you think my water tank has some crap built up inside? This townhouse was built in 2006, so the water tank isnt too old.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

theken
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM
it is actually fecal matter

Alterac
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
This happens to me ocaisionally also, i havent thought much about it.

Dont listen to the fecal inspector above me.

se7en
08-19-2009, 05:53 PM
careful, electricity and water don't mix...GF's shouldn't be near water.(countertop only)

frozenrice
08-19-2009, 05:56 PM
How often (if at all) do you flush the hot water tank?

http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-remove-sediment-from-a-water-heater

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by se7en
careful, electricity and water don't mix...GF's shouldn't be near water.(countertop only)

I loled.

97'Scort
08-19-2009, 06:13 PM
If it's only happening when you use hot water, chances are it's your hot water tank.

Your hot water tank has a sacrificial anode in the top, usually made of magnesium. It's a long rod with an iron or steel core. Power off and isolate your tank from the gas, then remove the rod. If it's gone, chances are the black crap is the inside of your tank starting to decay. If the rod's already gone, then you'll need to inspect the inside of the tank to see if it's salvageable or not. You can buy new anodes.

You don't have a water softener or filtration system, do you?

Edit: also make sure your tank/pipes are grounded properly.