PDA

View Full Version : Porsche advice

funkedelic2
08-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I am looking into an older porsche carrera 99-03 or so. I know there a few guys on here that have them, so any advice from actual owners would be appreciated.

I have seen a few that i am interested in within 70-100km or them or so.

I am wondering what things i should be concerned about with this kind of milage. Any major issues to look for, and just how bad is the cost of maintenence on these cars?

Also wondering how bad insurance would be compared to my current 335i. Im (24, clean driving record other than a current speeding ticket)

Thanks!

2EFNFAST
08-20-2009, 05:01 PM
My 996 (stock) was a snoooooze fest :zzz:

Insurance, mods, power, etc..., wasn't anywhere near my liking. About the only advantage was I could swing my wee-wee around and say 'look at me, I have a porsche'.

Look into a corvette; you'll be much happier (in terms of maintenance, mods, power, insurance, etc... costs).

funkedelic2
08-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Insurance, mods, power, etc..., wasn't anywhere near my liking. About the only advantage was I could swing my wee-wee around and say 'look at me, I have a porsche'.

Look into a corvette; you'll be much happier (in terms of maintenance, mods, power, insurance, etc... costs).

What year was your 996? What do you drive now? I plan on taking one for a drive sometime soon, i don't know how it will compare to the 335i. I might be over my head, i will always be scared of something breaking down which im sure will.

I am not much of a corvette guy, or a fan of many domestic vehicles. i have too much love for German cars. I'll most likely end up with another E46 M3 again.

2EFNFAST
08-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

What year was your 996? What do you drive now? I plan on taking one for a drive sometime soon, i don't know how it will compare to the 335i. I might be over my head, i will always be scared of something breaking down which im sure will.

I am not much of a corvette guy, or a fan of many domestic vehicles. i have too much love for German cars. I'll most likely end up with another E46 M3 again.

it was an 03; I drive a lot of stuff right now, hehe, might take a while to list =)

(keeping in mind I don't beat on my cars; throw them around corners; launch at 6000rpm, etc..., just casual normal driving) I found it very comparable to a g35 coupe. Better in some aspects, yes, but comparable. I've never driven an M3/3series so I can't relate how it will feel to it.

The best thing you can do though is drive it for yourself and see.

If you havn't, try driving a z06 corvette - in terms of production cars (where I'm not the manufacturer, hehehe), it is the best car I've ever owned. Good shifting, handling, great stock power, easy to make oodles of more power, sounds awesome with a straight through exhaust+longtubes, cheap to insure, gets looks at every light (surprisingly; people seem to love modified C5s), cheap to repair (if you do a lot of it yourself). Just overall the best production car I've ever bought.

soloracer
08-20-2009, 08:55 PM

That is true about the corvette, because everyone knows that vette owners don't have much of a wee wee to swing. ;)

2EFNFAST
08-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

That is true about the corvette, because everyone knows that vette owners don't have much of a wee wee to swing. ;)

don't make me post pics :o

soloracer
08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Ok.....I'll start. Here is your typical Porsche owner. ;)

That.Guy.S30
08-20-2009, 09:33 PM
engines in the early 996 have been known to fail.
check out rennlist or 6speedonline for more info.
but the upside to having the first gen water cooled porsche is that they are dirt cheap lol

soloracer
08-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
engines in the early 996 have been known to fail.
check out rennlist or 6speedonline for more info.
but the upside to having the first gen water cooled porsche is that they are dirt cheap lol

The issue with the early 996 cars was a rear main seal leak (RMS). One of our club members just replaced his engine with a factory crate engine. I believe the cost was $13k.

It might help if the OP could let us know his price range. There might be other, better choices to consider. Maintenance is going to be expensive on any Porsche. Think of them as somewhere between a Toyota and a Ferrari to maintain.

That.Guy.S30
08-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Oh.. also get a PPI for the porsche if you plan to buy it. there is also a member on here who works for porsche.

2EFNFAST
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM

The issue with the early 996 cars was a rear main seal leak (RMS). One of our club members just replaced his engine with a factory crate engine. I believe the cost was $13k.

It might help if the OP could let us know his price range. There might be other, better choices to consider. Maintenance is going to be expensive on any Porsche. Think of them as somewhere between a Toyota and a Ferrari to maintain.

Are you sure a brand new porsche crate engine was only 13k?

From when I was researching 917s, I think I was quoted 10k for 996 engine that had 40k miles on it.

JAYMEZ
08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I LOVED my 996 C4S.. I will be getting a turbo soon I hope!! Tires are pretty pricey , same with maintance , but its not crazy pricey...

70,000kms? Hmmm I think youll be fine.

soloracer
08-21-2009, 12:13 AM

From when I was researching 917s, I think I was quoted 10k for 996 engine that had 40k miles on it.

Positive. Installation is not included in that price. The factory has recently reduced their pricing from what I understand.

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2009, 12:18 AM

Positive. Installation is not included in that price. The factory has recently reduced their pricing from what I understand.

Wow 13K isn't bad at all although now that I think about it 996 c2s are in the high 20s so thats pretty much 1/2 the price of the car :rofl:

j0nblayz
08-21-2009, 08:47 AM
i always wondered, could you drive porches in snow? or are they just horrible?

JAYMEZ
08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
^^ Yes you can , I did . AWD was awesome with good set up tires.

scat19
08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I know for looks wise, you will want an 02.5+

The 99-01 looks like a boxster on the front, and they look dated now.

http://www.leftcoastexotics.com/2000-porsche/2000-porsche-002.jpg

vs

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/11949-2002-Porsche-911.jpg

2EFNFAST
08-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
i always wondered, could you drive porches in snow? or are they just horrible?

yep, snow tires FTW.

(Unlike what most of beyond thinks, heh) you can drive almost anything in the winter, if you're smart on the gas pedal and have good snow tires. RWD, AWD, FWD, whatever.

The only thing you couldn't pay me enough to drive in the winter was my dad's old 197X VW micro-bus. Now THAT was a deathtrap, even in the summer.

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2009, 12:05 PM

yep, snow tires FTW.

(Unlike what most of beyond thinks, heh) you can drive almost anything in the winter, if you're smart on the gas pedal and have good snow tires. RWD, AWD, FWD, whatever.

The only thing you couldn't pay me enough to drive in the winter was my dad's old 197X VW micro-bus. Now THAT was a deathtrap, even in the summer.
My dad actually had one of those brand new, he drove it around Mt. Tremblant all winter long lol.

2EFNFAST
08-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

My dad actually had one of those brand new, he drove it around Mt. Tremblant all winter long lol.

Seriously? Lol, just....lol :rofl:

My dad bought his in 1974 (i believe) and kept it until 2002 - it was a great hippy van. Original engine, original clutch, original almost everything, lol.

m10-power
08-21-2009, 12:36 PM

That price is exchange

996TT's are coming down in price in the US, with the dollar exchange that might be a better choice. I'm sure insurance will be more, but honestly if that's a concern you should probably stay away from any of them.

phreezee
08-21-2009, 01:05 PM

QFT

C4S
08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Get 02 and up .. new bigger fenders, new bumpers, new turbo style head light, better tail light ( from 01 ), faster etc etc ...

Also, better engine with more power and MUCH MORE reliable, better suspension, revised tranny, slightly better interior etc too.

02 vs 01, lots of improvement! (more then 05 vs 04 IMO)

BUT .. you need to be very careful... avoid US car, unless you know the car very well.

Make sure to have FULL HISTORY, and FULL INSPECTION.

There is reason why some of them are $10,000-20,000 more/less then other when they look the same in picture.

Cody D
08-21-2009, 07:47 PM
I think the other problem was intermediate shaft failure, which is different from the RTS problem. I drove my old Carrera 4 year round and it was amazing in the snow.

I found the C5 Z06 didn't wow me, to each their own.