PDA

View Full Version : The Lancer Ralliart...what do you think?

Rydog
11-08-2003, 01:05 AM
Well, here it is, the Lancer that sits between the underpowered/tuned OZ rally edition, and the coveted EVO.

Read all about it and post your opinions. I took one for a test drive AND my wife owns an OZ edition, and I have to say, it is definitely a kick ass car in comparison to the OZ. Damn fast, handles awesome, and wicked seats. However, I'm not so sure about the styling of it, especially the altezza's. Front looks too much like a sunfire (blah). I dunno.

So, what do you think?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=759

YCB
11-08-2003, 01:19 AM
kinda looks like a sentra...

A_3
11-08-2003, 01:29 AM
It looks pretty nice to me, buddies got a 2003 lancer, pretty basic, solid starter car, don't like the h-back version tho

GTS Jeff
11-08-2003, 01:30 AM
i think mitsu shoudl quit dickering around and give us the real thing already

pinoyhero
11-08-2003, 09:57 AM
I think it looks sweet.

That.Guy.S30
11-08-2003, 12:43 PM
took it for a rip aroudn the block.. handles well.. seats are nice.. design looks better.. haah almost made me forget i got a subie.. not bad price either.. comes pretty close to the pricing of a subaru rs tho..

gpomp
11-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Check out the new Corolla XRS, much better styling and build quality IMO. Wonder how it'll be priced?

http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2003/11/06/172349.html

DUBBED
11-08-2003, 03:49 PM
not a big fan of the mitsu...

it looks like they were trying to make it look too flashy...

EnRich
11-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Garbage...

thich
11-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i think mitsu shoudl quit dickering around and give us the real thing already

:werd:
you'd think they'd learn from their marketing blunders....
they've given Subaru such a lead in the market that it'd be hard for them to gain marketshare that the WRX and the WRX STi took up...

Boostn
11-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Not too bad, saw a yellow and silver one at Platinum Mitsu today. It's got decent pwr (MIVEC), 4 dr practicality, and the ralliart name but still no EVO. Yeah Mitsu did not send the previous gen Evo to NA because they claimed it had no market here. At least Subaru took the chance, got a jump on the market and proved them wrong big time! What I'm hoping for is a Ralliart EVO...

Roaring G60
11-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Actually due to Transport Canadian narrow minded legislation the EVo, as well as the R32 golf will not be sold in Canada due to there front bumbers not fitting the code.:banghead:

Akagi Redsuns
11-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Check out the new Corolla XRS, much better styling and build quality IMO. Wonder how it'll be priced?

http://www.theautochannel.com/F/news/2003/11/06/172349.html

Hopefully it's not plagued with the crappy gear ratios found in the Celica GT-S and has a more useable powerband that the whopping 1,500 RPM foudn the Celica.

Anyways, I figured Mitsubishi would use the RalliArt name for some special edition EVO like Subaru used the STi name for a better WRX. It's odd that the RalliArt is the middle of the line. Good idea if it's priced right, but I think too little, too late. Bring on the EVO :)

3G
11-08-2003, 10:37 PM
the Ralliart isn't that bad or slow..we test drove one yesterday and we were impressed, it pulled better than my buddies Prelude SR.

thich
11-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Roaring G60
Actually due to Transport Canadian narrow minded legislation the EVo, as well as the R32 golf will not be sold in Canada due to there front bumbers not fitting the code.:banghead:

the EVO8 won't make it to our side of the border at this rate.. but the EVO9 will. (and if it doesn't... Mitsu just lost any market that it may have had potential for in the future..)

the next evo is slated for a 2.4L t/c'd engine apparently tho.. mad hp and mad tq to compete with the new WRX STi

DSM Power
11-09-2003, 08:36 PM
I'll take the EVO RS instead of that thing... :zzz:

cocoabrova
11-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Nice-looking car and definitely better performing/looking than the OZ/base Lancers....

95TsiAWD
04-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Bought a Lancer Ralliart a few weeks ago. Absolutely love it. Was looking at Corolla-S, some Subarus, MAzda 3, Celica. Nothing comes close to this much car for the money. They're flying off the lots here in Saskatchewan faster than they can get them in.

Rydog
04-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Yup, i just picked up the last Diamond Pearl White in western Canada on saturday. i freakin love it.

cujo_cjc
04-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
I'll take the EVO RS instead of that thing... :zzz:

I'll take the EVO MR instead of the RS :P

Stratus_Power
04-21-2004, 12:38 PM
a white one always park downstairs! looks pretty good, especially for that price too.. except for the Altezza lights.. not feeling it

heavyD
04-21-2004, 01:02 PM
According to the performance numbers (0-60 in 6.7 sec.) the only N/A 4-cyl car faster at the moment is the RSX type S. The car looks good from every angle except the nose. Why is Mitsu incorporating the ugly "pontiac" beak in all of their new cars. Check out the cover of the latest Turbo magazine and there is an EVO VIII on the cover with an aftermarket bumper. Looks a hundred times better.

Davan
04-21-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't know how much weight to put in mag reviews, but the Ralliart came in LAST place in a comparo between Dodge SRT4, Ford Focus SVT, Honda Civic Si HFP, Mazdaspeed Protege, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Nissan Nismo Sentra SE-R, and '03 Toyota TRD Celica GT-S.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?article_id=1246&page_number=1

I have the mag at home. I can scan if someone is interested.

Stratus_Power
04-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Davan
I don't know how much weight to put in mag reviews, but the Ralliart came in LAST place in a comparo between Dodge SRT4, Ford Focus SVT, Honda Civic Si HFP, Mazdaspeed Protege, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Nissan Nismo Sentra SE-R, and '03 Toyota TRD Celica GT-S.

big prices diff too though eh
SRT4-~27k
GTS TRD ~ 34k
Mazdaspeed Protege~ 27k
not sure about the SVT and the nismo SER

but does the ralliart cost only 21k

Rydog
04-21-2004, 02:44 PM
exactly, for the price diff, you could do a shitload of work on that car and end up having nicer stuff (engine, brakes, etc)

95TsiAWD
04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Davan

I don't trust magazines much anymore. Check MotorTrend's review of the Ralliart vs the other sport compacts. The Mitsubishi ran a 14.97 in the 1/4, other mags have them in the 15.1-15.3 range, that Road & Track spinoff "Speed" couldn't muster anything better than a 15.8.
Most guys on the Lancer forums have been able to peg mid/low 15s stock, this leads me to beleive either their timing equipements was a casio stopwatch or their test driver just got his license.

sputnik
04-21-2004, 02:50 PM
fugly...

and the wagon is a complete Volvo V70R copy (i would sooner have the Volvo)

1badPT
04-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Roaring G60

That's the same reason there's no such thing as a Canadian 2003 SRT-4 :bullshit: (no big deal since the 2004 is better in almost every way).

Originally posted by heavyD
According to the performance numbers (0-60 in 6.7 sec.) the only N/A 4-cyl car faster at the moment is the RSX type S. The car looks good from every angle except the nose. Why is Mitsu incorporating the ugly "pontiac" beak in all of their new cars. Check out the cover of the latest Turbo magazine and there is an EVO VIII on the cover with an aftermarket bumper. Looks a hundred times better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this - the new lancer looks quite Sunfire-ish to me :thumbsdow

Originally posted by Stratus_Power

big prices diff too though eh
SRT4-~27k
GTS TRD ~ 34k
Mazdaspeed Protege~ 27k
not sure about the SVT and the nismo SER

but does the ralliart cost only 21k

22K for the manual, almost 24K for the auto. Even at the lower cost there's nothing really special about it. The other cars on your list all have something to offer that is unique where the Ralliart, as much as I love Mitsu, is nothing special :(

Xtrema
04-21-2004, 03:09 PM
If it starts @ $22K, it's on par with Impreza TS. Spec-wise, they are also very similar. But with the Impreza you get AWD, and this Ralliart is still FWD, am I right?

So bang for the $$ still goes to Scooby, if you can stand the styling.

heavyD
04-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If it starts @ $22K, it's on par with Impreza TS. Spec-wise, they are also very similar. But with the Impreza you get AWD, and this Ralliart is still FWD, am I right?

WRX's are in my opinion the second ugliest (Pontiac Aztec takes the prize) production car/truck in years even with th re-style. It is a shame to enclose a such a great performance package in such hideous sheetmetal & plastic. :banghead: Sti's look okay though.:)

95TsiAWD
04-21-2004, 03:39 PM
I dunno about ugly, all the styling cues come off the Evo VIII. That's probably the best japanese performance car in North America right now (wish they'd import more of them to Canada already, there's a few at the dealerships in Winnipeg, dunno what the story behind that is).
$21933 is the sticker price, the dealer will knock off close to $2500 just for going in and asking for a price quote. I think I paid around $18K plus taxes for mine after all the rebates.
If you haven't driven one you don't know what I'm talking about. The fit and finish is amazingly tight nad the gearing is perfectly matched to the engine. The thing is just a ball to drive.

CLiVE
04-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
I dunno about ugly, all the styling cues come off the Evo VIII. That's probably the best japanese performance car in North America right now (wish they'd import more of them to Canada already, there's a few at the dealerships in Winnipeg, dunno what the story behind that is).
$21933 is the sticker price, the dealer will knock off close to $2500 just for going in and asking for a price quote. I think I paid around $18K plus taxes for mine after all the rebates.
If you haven't driven one you don't know what I'm talking about. The fit and finish is amazingly tight nad the gearing is perfectly matched to the engine. The thing is just a ball to drive.

Finally he speaks up :thumbsup:

IMO a well made reliable car for a bargain price, with enough "performance" to keep you happy.....and the styling grows on you. The car was super smooth when I test drove it. :thumbsup:

95TsiAWD
04-21-2004, 04:28 PM
LOL, Clive?
Anyhow, I love the car, it is my new Nissan/Honda killer

That.Guy.S30
04-21-2004, 10:39 PM

got both cars. me and my girlfriend.

the TS is great for winter and what not but the ralliart is somethin else. from a roll that thing gets me everytime. performance wise they are not simailar at all. while the ts is rated at 165hp it is actaully around 120 at the wheels with all the drivetrain loss and it is a heavy car. the ralliart will put out at 149hp at wheels. although i know nothin of gear ratio and whatnot im pretty sure that the ralliart gots the ts/rs's number when it comes to the track or whatever. being short AWD, i think its a wicked car. we got it for a real decent price loaded.

Rydog
04-21-2004, 10:51 PM
totally, i love mine, soooooo fun to drive, super responsive, awesome pick up off the line, yada yada. i just love mine.

That.Guy.S30
04-21-2004, 11:18 PM
hmm maybe i should start up the old dsm/subaru/mitsu club we had goin awhile back. i would love to see the ralliarts.. not many of us in calgary!

95TsiAWD
04-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Rydog
totally, i love mine, soooooo fun to drive, super responsive, awesome pick up off the line, yada yada. i just love mine.

Yup, awesome cars. Can't wait till we start getting some aftermarket support.

CLiVE
04-22-2004, 09:34 AM
LOL, Clive?
Anyhow, I love the car, it is my new Nissan/Honda killer

Yup...Clive....:thumbsup:

congrats on the new nissan/honda killer.....
but a moment of silence for the old nissan/honda/everything killer....:bigpimp:

oh, and I'll race ya in the MINI...lol:burnout: :thumbsup:

That.Guy.S30
04-22-2004, 10:55 AM

Yup, awesome cars. Can't wait till we start getting some aftermarket support.

theres some.. rrm really good for the mitsu's and i think injen is making some shit too. im waiting for greddy to offer some products

ecstasy_civic
04-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Im very close to making a decision on this car, I test drove it with CLiVE, the only thing I didnt like was the transmission.
Maybe it was just me, but I found the clutch EXTREMLEY light lol

over revved a few times on shifts, nontheless, still fun to drive and is on the top of my list of any car right now.

Awesome bang for your buck:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CLiVE
04-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Im very close to making a decision on this car, I test drove it with CLiVE, the only thing I didnt like was the transmission.
Maybe it was just me, but I found the clutch EXTREMLEY light lol

over revved a few times on shifts, nontheless, still fun to drive and is on the top of my list of any car right now.

Awesome bang for your buck:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:werd: I couldn't get used to that clutch. Maybe it is just the one we drove?

95TsiAWD
04-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Nah I'm pretty sure they're all that light. Going from a race clutch to that was a bit of a change but you get used to it in a few days. I'm gonna try to get ahold of a service manual and figure out where the clutch fluid restrictor is... pop that baby out. Worked great for the feel of the talon's clutch when I still had a stocker.

CLiVE
04-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Nah I'm pretty sure they're all that light. Going from a race clutch to that was a bit of a change but you get used to it in a few days. I'm gonna try to get ahold of a service manual and figure out where the clutch fluid restrictor is... pop that baby out. Worked great for the feel of the talon's clutch when I still had a stocker.

:thumbsup: can't wait to see it. :bigpimp:

95TsiAWD
04-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Speaking of your e-mail keeps bouncing (the MSN one). I'll be in town this weekend if you didn't already know ;)

dugrant153
04-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Wow, can't believe the Lancer RalliArt is getting such GREAT reviews!

I found the clutch had a bit of play near the top... is this a defect? maybe cuz the car was parked and the engine was off?

Rydog
04-29-2004, 07:13 AM
I've got a RA now too and I FREAKIN LOVE IT!! clutch is fine for me, no play at the top that's for sure.

Just installed my leather Razo knob and shift boot, looks soooo sweet as it matches the seats exactly, black leather with red stiching! Also bought ADR Fuels that I just have to buy some rubber for. Fuels are bronze with polished lip, should look kick ass on my Diamond Pearl Ralliart!

GO FLAMES!!

Rydog
04-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Check out this site Lancer folks!!!
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44619

Join up today!!!

Woblin_Goblin
05-01-2004, 11:44 PM
The interior wasn't special... sorta like the americans describe the EVO I think. The version we tested had the sound and moonroof package ($2000 option I think). The audio was really good. Probably not as good quality as some decent aftermarket solutions but to someone who doesn't have a good sound system it sounded really great. I didn't drive it, my friend did. He said it seemed to actually have some power compared to his moms civic. On other thing that impressed me was the fact that there was tons of head and leg room. I'm 6'5" and my friend is 6'7". Leg room was great... much more room than the Subaru's.

An EVO is what I'd be intrested in though if we could get them. STI is probably what I'll end up going with though. I don't have much faith in Mitsubishi. My moms old Chrysler (a beater) has a Mitsubishi engine in it and we've had no end of problems with it.

Those wanting a sporty economy ride should give the Ralliart a try. Mazda 3 would also be worth a look.

ecstasy_civic
05-02-2004, 12:17 AM
bought one today:rofl:

CLiVE
05-02-2004, 12:57 PM

Right on! Curious to hear what kind of a deal you got. PM me..!:thumbsup:

Rydog
05-02-2004, 04:38 PM

Nice Dude!! check out www.lancernation.net in the Calgary section if you haven't already!!!

dkny_stylez
05-03-2004, 11:15 AM
id get a mazda3 instead:)

Rydog
05-03-2004, 05:08 PM
aww, too bad for you stylez.

dugrant153
05-09-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm still in between Ralliart and Mazda 3. or even possibly... nah, we'll just stick it to these two :)

I wonder why it is that the Mazda 3 has been flying off the lots in Vancouver (in comparison to a few Ralliarts)?

For every Ralliart I see on the road, there is 10 Mazda 3's. That's right. I see 10 Mazda 3's on average every time I see a Ralliart.

I just find it interesting. I test drove the Mazda 3 and it's a great car.

Rydog
05-10-2004, 09:41 AM
i'm finding there is much more support in the pipes for the RA than there is for the Mazda3.

dugrant153
05-10-2004, 12:12 PM
in the pipes?

Xtrema
05-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Mitsu is run by crooks:

http://www.auto-asia.com/viewcontent.asp?pk=9324

Rydog
05-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by dugrant153
in the pipes?

in the works; they're working on it; it's coming; etc.....

Rydog
05-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Mitsu is run by crooks:

http://www.auto-asia.com/viewcontent.asp?pk=9324

who cares, I didn't buy one of those trucks and secondly I still have a cool car.:poosie:

CLiVE
05-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez
id get a mazda3 instead:)

I'd get a 2004 mini cooper classic instead...

dugrant153
05-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Just wondering, for people have driven the Ralliart, what they think of it (in detail)? I've heard stuff like how it has lots of body roll and stuff, but wanted to verify from other drivers first (I'll test drive soon enough).

What attracted me to this car is how people have described it as a daily driver that can be very fun to drive (basically what I want in a car). Plus, it has tons of space (good for a "chauffeur and guitar player like me). Mazda 3 is a very very fun car indeed but the rear seating is cramped and the rear trunk opening is small.

That.Guy.S30
05-12-2004, 09:52 PM
when i drive the car hard i dont feel much body. but this is comparing it to my subaru ts which has TONS of body roll. i feel that the ralliart has a more solid feel and is more fun to drive.

Rydog
05-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Body Roll? what's that? hahah, not very much that i've noticed at all man. I've been driving mine pretty hard into corners just to test it too.
i love mine man!!

dugrant153
05-14-2004, 12:39 AM
Is the Lancer Ralliart a G-stock car?

Glad to hear it ain't got too much body roll :)

That.Guy.S30
05-14-2004, 12:42 AM
it comes stock with some strut bars and a sway bar. its pretty good if you ask me

CLiVE
05-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Felt like it had a TON of body roll, when compared to both of my last 2 cars. (Stealth TT, and Mini Cooper S). Felt loose in the corners.

Rydog
05-14-2004, 08:44 AM
compared to the mini-s, practically anything would feel like it had body roll when you're used to driving around in a little go-cart dude.:rolleyes:

That.Guy.S30
05-14-2004, 12:04 PM
yea no doubt. the STi will have body roll compared to the mini lol

CLiVE
05-14-2004, 12:24 PM
The mini makes every other car a disappointment. Dammit. :guns:

That.Guy.S30
05-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE
The mini makes every other car a disappointment. Dammit. :guns:

hey are you ever on vortex forum? lol they did this lil experiement against a full modded suspenion mini-s vs. a trash talking STi driver with some minor mods. turns out the STi sneaks in and beats it by under a second.

it was cool. the STi was the underdog. i thought the mini was goin to kill the STi. lol

CLiVE
05-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

hey are you ever on vortex forum? lol they did this lil experiement against a full modded suspenion mini-s vs. a trash talking STi driver with some minor mods. turns out the STi sneaks in and beats it by under a second.

it was cool. the STi was the underdog. i thought the mini was goin to kill the STi. lol

nope, not on that forum.
That's cool though. You have a link to it?

That.Guy.S30
05-15-2004, 12:12 AM
its on nasioc.com somewhere. ill post it when i can find it. i thought the STi driver was goin to lose. he talked so much shit.

dugrant153
05-27-2004, 01:04 PM
so who has bought a ralliart on this forum?
I'm wondering why people have bought the ralliart, is all :)

I haven't gotten a chance to test drive one, so I don't know how it drives. But just from sitting in the car, I kinda liked it already :)

Rydog
05-27-2004, 01:07 PM
You obviously know that I have one since you see me on ln.net I'm sure.

I fricken love mine man. so fun, awesome performance to dollar ratio, and gets the looks for sure (especially with my new rims ;))

blinkme_210
05-27-2004, 03:34 PM
I got to drive my buddy's Ralliart today, and I gotta say, it's a pretty good car. Although it was an auto, it still picked up speed quite well.

Going through a traffic circle at 60kmph, I barely sensed any bodyroll. However, the seats are lower than most cars so the sensation of car body roll is reduced somewhat. The seats were quite uncomfortable for me, felt a little too stiff for my liking. But then again, it might be cause I'm so used to my car seats.

If I was in the market for a small fun car, the Ralliart would be on my list...... below the Spec V.