PDA

View Full Version : Is reading while dining alone considered strange?

Tik-Tok
08-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm in Florida right now on business, and since I hate staring at the walls, or wall mounted idiot boxes, I usually have a book in my hand reading, while dining alone.

I get really strange looks, and a couple of servers have outright made fun of it (thus losing their tips)

Is it really that odd?

JAYMEZ
08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Nope , ive brought work to eat by myself , beats the freakin office lol

Graham_A_M
08-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I get really strange looks, and a couple of servers have outright made fun of it (thus losing their tips)

Is it really that odd?

:rolleyes: about what I'd expect from the caliber of people found in the SE states.

no I dont think its strange at all.. maybe THERE it is, but I see it all the time here

TomcoPDR
08-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Could depend on what you're reading

Hakkola
08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I think dining alone is seen as strange by itself...

I went to The Den at UofC and moxies by my old work to eat alone quite often and most people I know wouldn't do that.

LongCity
08-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Sometimes it is the best way to enjoy your meal. You have quiet in the sense you don't have to talk to people dining with you.

Jlude
08-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I eat lunch at subway everyday and read the news on my iphone.

Also, when I lived in California, I would go check out these little restaurants in San Jose while my gf worked. I'd just chill out and read stuff on my iphone. I love reading news papers, I'm addicted to USA Today... don't really know why.

But yes, I would get weird looks all the time, I didn't really care.

At first It felt kinda weird to go to restaurants alone, but I got over it quickly.

raidar
08-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
At first It felt kinda weird to go to restaurants alone, but I got over it quickly.

Couldn't agree more. Totally normal once you make the step.

Hamann
08-22-2009, 09:10 PM
While I have never eaten at a restaurant by myself I think realistically anyone who gives you weird looks etc is just to chicken shit to do it themselves.

Hell I have even been out for a couple dinners etc where being alone would of been alot nicer :thumbsup:

YamahaV8
08-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Come on now Tik-Tok. They are looking at your weird because they know you aren't actually reading the articles in that playboy ;) jk

Yeah it doesn't seem weird to me. I havn't actually done it myself but have seen other people eating alone with a newspaper, book etc and it seems normal.

psycoticclown
08-22-2009, 09:28 PM
If I'm by myself, I usually whip out the newspaper or a textbook or my phone or w/e I have on me. Not that weird. Places like McDonalds and A&W have newspapers for you to read anyways. Or those little one page newspaper things (Jive, etc).

swak
08-22-2009, 09:30 PM
a tonn of people read while eating alone.

One time i was sitting at the restaurant at the Delta at the Airport waiting for a flight, and the server brought me a bunch of magazines since i had nothing, and was watching the baseball game on the tvs in the distance.
In turn, she got a good tip.

nismodrifter
08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Why give a shit what other people think??? :dunno:

A restaurant is a place to eat. You go to a restaurant because you're hungry/want somethin to drink/want to just chill for a bit and get your mind off things in a different environment. You're paying to put food in your stomach just like everyone else there. What you do while eating/how many people are with you should be of no concern to anybody. If anyone has an issue with that or wants to give strange looks they can F themselves. Simple as that.

DannyO
08-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
While I have never eaten at a restaurant by myself I think realistically anyone who gives you weird looks etc is just to chicken shit to do it themselves.

Same here.

I think anyone who looks at someone for being weird due to eating by themselves are weird and insecure themselves, fuck what anyone else thinks, if you wanna eat alone, then eat alone, and if you wanna have fun, start talking to yourself, then switch to the other side of the table and start arguing back to yourself.:thumbsup:

black_2.5RS
08-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I used to travel a lot and have done tonnes of reading in restaurants. I think it's normal and don't really care what others think - chances are you'll never see them again.

adidas
08-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Cant say ive ever been to a restaurant alone, but have been to fast food places and the like by myself and have just looked through the newspaper!

I really dont mind it to be honest!

robpark
08-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Who the hell cares what anyone else thinks...Enjoy yourself buddy.

B4tMan
08-23-2009, 12:58 AM
eat and drink to your hearts' desires :)

Hamann
08-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by DannyO

if you wanna have fun, start talking to yourself, then switch to the other side of the table and start arguing back to yourself.:thumbsup:

This would be absolutely Priceless To see someone do :rofl:

ringer
08-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Hamann

Hell I have even been out for a couple dinners etc where being alone would of been alot nicer :thumbsup:

yep..
I would way rather eat on my own than some of the lunch meetings and awkward dinners i've been through.
I enjoy eating alone every now and then. You can focus more on the food and your thoughts than on making conversation with someone.
And it's a good opportunity to check out a restaurant you haven't been to, but for the most part I only do it on my lunch I don't often go for dinner solo.

GQBalla
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
i used to think it was weird.

but as i got older, someone isn't always going to be there to go eat with you.

ie. business trips or traveling around by yourself.

whatever the reason.

i've gone to eat by myself sometimes, it is lonely but sometimes time doesn't let me go ask someone to meet for lunch.

i get weird looks all the time but whatever.

usually i just read beyond or something on my bold.

theres been a few times where ive also sat at a bar by myself waiting for whatever reason

more acceptible i think since you can just sit there watch the tube

msommers
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Why give a shit what other people think??? :dunno:

:thumbsup:

max_boost
08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
It's normal. I see it all the time at work and when I'm out for breakfast 5X/week I always bring myself a copy of the Sun.

Lex350
08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
I guess it boils down to your own self confidence. Really why would you give a shit?

Grogador
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Florida is strange. Whereabouts are you?

ZorroAMG
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
<--- eats alone while reading the paper quite often.

You eat faster, read more and move on with your day.

Tik-Tok
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
Really why would you give a shit?

I don't. It's not strange to me, and I quite like reading a book while dining (except for wings... that's a bit messy) but I wondered what others thought of it, since I've been getting so many looks down here.

edit: Maybe they just think it's strange to read a book? lol

Originally posted by Grogador
Florida is strange. Whereabouts are you?

Jacksonville.

a social dsease
08-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I eat out by myself once a week or so. I like to bring the newspaper and do the crossword while I eat. Haven't really noticed anyone giving me strange looks, and if they do, I don't care.... :dunno: I actually quite enjoy it.

flipstah
08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
I noticed that eating alone is better if you want to truly enjoy your food. It's quiet and it's just you and your meal.

I read a book while eating solo and it was a nice and relaxing time.

Phenix
08-25-2009, 04:16 PM
I used to travel all the time too and was sometime eating alone. ( when not out partying in the cool places:) ) but I'd have some good car mags and wouldn't care.

Its great to order a expensive meal and read so car mags .

signature7
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Hell sometimes I go to restaurants with people and wish I had brought something with more substance such as a book.

snoop101
08-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Because looking at the wall for 30 min is better?

Only thing I can think of is that the waitress was hot and you were ignoring her. Or the waiter was hot and he thought you were gay, but to into your book so he started to have one of those flaming tantrums.

Phenix
08-25-2009, 05:31 PM
ya that's true. If they are hot its hard to read.

Rat Fink
08-27-2009, 10:13 AM

ekguy
08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I love eating by myself it's so peaceful. I also love going for breakfast and bringing the Herald for some reading material.

Nothing weird about it. People have to eat don't they?

Disoblige
08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Hell, sometimes I eat alone without reading anything. I like to enjoy my food peacefully after or in between a piss day.