PDA

View Full Version : how do I get rid of Nagpies?

Graham_A_M
08-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey guys, those fucking birds are driving me nuts. Their picking at my garden and creating quite a racket with their caw-ing. Not only that but they love to harass my cat... How do I get rid of them? If I lived out on an acreage I'd just a .22 to answer the dilemma, but in the city thats not such a wise idea.

What can I do? Someone suggested motion activated sprinkler to get them out of the tree, but I live in an old community with VERY tall trees (some well over 60 feet) so thats not an option.

Any ideas?

5000Audi
08-23-2009, 10:34 AM
RICE!!just make sure you stand outside while you have rice so you dont feed it to other birds....

HuMz
08-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Bread soaked in anti freeze:thumbsup:

tarrantas
08-23-2009, 10:50 AM
haha i like this one ^^
but seriously get a litle air gun or something just sit on your deck pick em off. its legal on your own property

Kritafo
08-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Those fake decoy Owls work. They have them at walmart and Canadian tire.

They dont' like it when you hang CD's from trees, it's the reflective action of the flashing they don't like. This is what we did when the Owls were out of stock.

D'z Nutz
08-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
RICE!!just make sure you stand outside while you have rice so you dont feed it to other birds....

I heard that's also how Oprah got Tommy Hilfiger to get off her show.

Rat Fink
08-23-2009, 01:15 PM

89coupe
08-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Hey guys, those fucking birds are driving me nuts. Their picking at my garden and creating quite a racket with their caw-ing. Not only that but they love to harass my cat... How do I get rid of them? If I lived out on an acreage I'd just a .22 to answer the dilemma, but in the city thats not such a wise idea.

What can I do? Someone suggested motion activated sprinkler to get them out of the tree, but I live in an old community with VERY tall trees (some well over 60 feet) so thats not an option.

Any ideas?

Get a cat.

Tik-Tok
08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Not only that but they love to harass my cat...

Originally posted by 89coupe

Get a cat.
:facepalm:

Originally posted by HuMz
Bread soaked in anti freeze:thumbsup:
:facepalm: :facepalm:

Then you also kill every dog/cat in the neighborhood who finds the dead birds.

S13_Ryan
08-23-2009, 04:04 PM
do this
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/273980/men-shooting-ducks-from-vehicle/

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Graham_A_M
08-23-2009, 04:39 PM
lol, thanks for the responses. I bought a couple fake owls and a pellet gun today. (500 ft/second air rifle)

That'll show those little fuckers if they dare come close again :D

89coupe
08-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Then you also kill every dog/cat in the neighborhood who finds the dead birds.

Get a cat with some balls...LOL.

My dads cat brings home Pheasant, Crows, Grouse, any bird he can sink his claws into.

zieg
08-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Uh, careful with that pellet gun. They actually ARE illegal to fire in the city limits. At least according to the police officer I talked to shortly after I bought mine......

Boat
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Great little thread :rofl: :rofl:

LadyLuck
08-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Man, theres a big ass Raven with a posse of about 6 magpies that comes around on our garbage pick up days and terrorizes the neighborhood. The Raven is huge, bigger then my medium sized dog.

Them bastards tear apart all the garbage bags on our street and ive been thinking bout getting a pellet gun or something to get rid of them

:whipped:

Legless_Marine2
08-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Any ideas?

Is there something in your yard attracting them?

Legless_Marine2
08-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

Them bastards tear apart all the garbage bags on our street and ive been thinking bout getting a pellet gun or something to get rid of them

We've started keeping our garbage in our (fenced) yard until the day before garbage day. It's greatly reduced scavenging-mess.

teknical
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
These fuckers piss me off! They were trying building a nest in my backyard. I ended up going the pellet gun route as well due to them harassing my dog (he's small like a cat).

I don't think we ever hit one. But eventually they stopped coming after a couple afternoons of trying to pick 'em off.

LadyLuck
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

We've started keeping our garbage in our (fenced) yard until the day before garbage day. It's greatly reduced scavenging-mess.

We keep all our garbage in the garage in a plastic bin, but the day of the pick up we place it outside before we head out to work, and thats when the gang comes around lol

smart little fuckers...

Canadian 2.5RS
08-24-2009, 03:20 PM
We had a problem for the first week we moved into our new house. Then we let the cats out and the problem went away. I now get deliveries of various birds, mice, etc... on my lawn. I'm not a rodent hater per se, but I am of the mind that if you don't shut the fuck up at 5 in the morning I'm gonna let my cats out and they can snag a bird mid-flight. :devil:

I can usually keep the desert eagle pellet gun safely put away :D

FraserB
08-24-2009, 06:45 PM
If you want a funny show, soak some bread in tabasco and leave it out. The bird will grab it, puke it up and leave, the next one will come and do the same, over and over again.

Redlyne_mr2
08-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Keep in mind magpies eat bugs and other pests around your place. My dad got rid of all the magpies at our cabin and now the place is infested with grasshoppers. Keep the birds around IMO.

Graham_A_M
08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
If you want a funny show, soak some bread in tabasco and leave it out. The bird will grab it, puke it up and leave, the next one will come and do the same, over and over again.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap:

Legless_Marine, No I dont know what it is. Seems to be my yard in particular. My garbage is in its own "bay" away from everything...

It must be the continuned enjoyment they get over tormenting my cat I think :dunno:

Legless_Marine2
08-25-2009, 11:14 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap:

Legless_Marine, No I dont know what it is. Seems to be my yard in particular. My garbage is in its own "bay" away from everything...

Weird it's just your yard. Other than waste, could it be layout, location, certain plants?

I wonder if a bird expert could give some insight.

First question of pest control: Why here?

Graham_A_M
08-30-2009, 10:18 AM
^ Yeah, I noticed they seem to only come whenever I leave my cat out.
When she's in the house they're never around. :thumbsdow