PDA

View Full Version : Starr's Roofing in Calgary...

nismo_fan
08-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Charlene, her family and friends want to thank Starr's Roofing for their commitment to the community and willingness to help a person in need.

Charlene is a single mom who faced the challenge of raising three daughters on her own. But now faces an even bigger challenge of battling Myeloma, a cancer of the bone marrow.

Being on a disability income Charlene was concerned as she watched her neighbour's roof's being replaced while hers was quickly deteriorating. She worried she would have to sell her home as she couldn't afford the cost to replace it.

When Starr's heard of her plight they immediately offered to help out.

Starr's management was quick to commit to providing the materials, labour, and their 5 year workmanship warranty to Charlene at no cost.

Because of Starr's generous help Charlene now can focus all her energy on beating cancer.

Starr's Roofing has proven that even in these tough economic times there are companies willing to support the community.

Please if your considering a new roof give Chris @ Starr's Roofing a call for a free estimate and show that as a city we support companies that care about others.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

masoncgy
08-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Re-reading this after my Monday morning fuzzies cleared... yeah, I'm not so sure this was an act of kindness rather than just a clever marketing ploy...

Teach me to comment before my coffee... ;)

GREENBOY
08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Are things that desperate for roofing companies these days? What's up with just doing a good deed and not telling anyone about it instead of using it to drum up business? Story is nice, but the self-promotion sucks.

eljefe
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by GREENBOY
Are things that desperate for roofing companies these days? What's up with just doing a good deed and not telling anyone about it instead of using it to drum up business? Story is nice, but the self-promotion sucks.

cynic

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM

this.

what is the OPs involvement in this? does he work for this roofing company? and seriously, since this isn't coming from the client directly, it sounds really fishy. there isn't even any evidence that this really happened.

i know a lot of people who are down on their luck and could also use a new roof. is this company going to give them a free roof, too?

:rolleyes:

vtec4life
08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I live on that street.

The guys dropped off the shingles and stuff on a friday, said they would come back on saturday to do the job so all the neighbours thought it would be nice to set up a table at 7 AM on a saturday and bring doughnuts and coffee and other treats for the nice men who were roofing her house for free.

They didnt show... :rolleyes:

it could be done by now but they definitely didnt show up when they said they would leaving some pissed off neighbours who got up extra early thinking they were doing something nice.

PS that whole story the OP wrote.....was word for word the story they printed off and stuck in every single persons door on that block so im guessing this guy works there.

Im with the other ones on this...free marketing ploy

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
^^yea, you can pretty much tell by the sappy, sensationalist writing style. like something from the calgary sun.

GREENBOY
08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by eljefe

cynic

I'm not cynical, I just have a good bullshit detector...and this stinks.

Redwagon
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM

You do realize businesses are in business to make money, right?

And I'd rather support a company that helps out people who are down on their luck. If they don't "advertise" their good deed how do I tell them apart from some other company who does nothing for the community?

sputnik
08-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I know someone with cancer.

Will Starr's Roofing give them a free roof too?

Perhaps they could get a list of people from the Tom Baker clinic and give EVERYONE with cancer a free roof.

spikerS
08-24-2009, 03:39 PM
can't you guys applaud a company for doing something nice?

so they didn't show exactly when stated to do a FREE job, and save a woman from having to sell her house.

Originally posted by sputnik
I know someone with cancer.

Will Starr's Roofing give them a free roof too?

Perhaps they could get a list of people from the Tom Baker clinic and give EVERYONE with cancer a free roof.

What.
the.
fuck.

i really hope my sarcasm detector is broken here, but if it isn't, i hope you suffocate soon from your head being so far up your ass.

This was a free job, they didn't even ask her to pay for the materials. They did this woman a HUGE favor, and if you "ballers" or the neighbours are too fucking stupid to realize it, or have their feelings hurt because of some cold coffee and stale doughnuts from Tim Hortons, better go find your security blanket and hide in the cellar as delays happen.

so they delivered some fliers, nothing wrong with that, and shows they helped the community they lived in.

sputnik
08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by spikers
This was a free job, they didn't even ask her to pay for the materials.

It was hardly a "free" job.

If it was truly free they wouldn't be using her and her cancer as their current marketing campaign. I am glad she got a much needed roof, however their shameless self promotion is a bit sick.

Chances are they are hurting in this economy and ate the cost of some shingles to "prove" to Calgary how they are the "good guys" when it comes to roofing and how everyone should hire them because they help the marginalized in society.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone in the company personally knows the woman who got the free roof.

GREENBOY
08-24-2009, 03:58 PM
can't you guys applaud a company for doing something nice?

There's doing something nice and there's a clumsy attempt at profiting from doing something nice through some badly thought out and badly written PR. If the company's motivation was simply to do something nice for someone, why cheapen it by trying to earn money off the back of it? It's like those assholes who give to charity and then want to let everyone know about it by telling everyone what a great person they are.

2Valve0
08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
:zzz:

spikerS
08-24-2009, 04:34 PM

There's doing something nice and there's a clumsy attempt at profiting from doing something nice through some badly thought out and badly written PR. If the company's motivation was simply to do something nice for someone, why cheapen it by trying to earn money off the back of it? It's like those assholes who give to charity and then want to let everyone know about it by telling everyone what a great person they are.

every company out there that does something for free, is a PR attempt and the company makes money off of it, it is called a tax write off, same reason they make charitable donations. It actually saves them money in the end.

If they came to my neighbourhood and helped out someone that was down and out and charged nothing, I would gladly accept a piece of paper showing the work they did, and consider them for a job I may need doing.

same reason bigger companies go onto the childrens miracle network telethon and shit to give over the oversized monster cheque. it is called publicity.

A business is there to make money, not give shit away for free.

yourmom
08-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Wow marketing ploy or not, that is really nice of them to help out someone in need.

Calgary has lost its community spirit in the few years I have lived here. This is an example that its not completely dead.

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by yourmom
Wow marketing ploy or not, that is really nice of them to help out someone in need.

haha, you're kidding, right? Sending out advertisements at neighbor's doors, and all over the internet, at the expense of this poor family's marital and health problems? all for a "free" roof? not at all cool, IMO.

this is just about as dirty as that trashy show "extreme makeover: home edition" where they find fucked up families with illnesses or handicaps, show all the problems off on national TV, and then build them a house to address the problems in the family. Or even better yet, the regular edition of "extreme makeover," where they find these total freaks with zero self-esteem, point out all of their 'flaws' on national tv, and then do head-to-toe plastic surgery.

wow, free plastic surgery for the freak!!!!! it's seriously great to see these giant media corporations really helping out people in need!

TurboD
08-24-2009, 05:29 PM
^ ignorant post
so ignorant that you probably believe that non-profit organizations do not pay their employees.

give your head a shake
when you get cancer i'd like to see you turn down a free major repair to your house.

almost every big internet company does this.

IE: google, FREE to use the services - but the make money, advertising etc.

does this make google the devil? no

this company did a good thing and it worked out great for both the company and the person in question.

i hope this roofing company gets more work because of this so that more companies start doing this.

if every company in calgary did this just once, think of how much better off so many peoples lives would be.

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 05:38 PM
what? how is that an ignorant post? are you sure you even know what that word means?

anyhow, there is a big difference between something like google, which offers a free service with advertisements, and a company which exploits people with problems to make themselves appear compassionate to drum up business.

like it was mentioned earlier - if this company was truly caring, they would have just fixed the roof and let the family keep their problems private. my dad has had tons of customers over the years who couldn't pay their car repair bills for whatever reason, but he doesn't go passing out fliers to the neighbors to make himself look better.

the point i'm trying to make is that this company is airing this families problems all over the neighborhood and the internet to make themselves look good... which this marketing scheme shows that they clearly aren't.

:facepalm:

TurboD
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
what? how is that an ignorant post? are you sure you even know what that word means?

anyhow, there is a big difference between something like google, which offers a free service with advertisements, and a company which exploits people with problems to make themselves appear compassionate to drum up business.

like it was mentioned earlier - if this company was truly caring, they would have just fixed the roof and let the family keep their problems private. my dad has had tons of customers over the years who couldn't pay their car repair bills for whatever reason, but he doesn't go passing out fliers to the neighbors to make himself look better.

the point i'm trying to make is that this company is airing this families problems all over the neighborhood and the internet to make themselves look good... which this marketing scheme shows that they clearly aren't.

who gives a fuck

at school there was a fund raiser for a local student with cancer

EVERYONE in school knew the kid and his story because of this

but guess what? it doesn't matter even one bit.
who gives a shit, they deserve benefits for doing good.

who gives a crap if people know about her situation
oh noes, people in calgary know i have cancer and that my life was given a huge boost by a local business.

do you read the news?
do you think every sob story in the news gets a free roof?
NO

give me a break

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
^^i just don't think that trying to profit by sensationalizing someone else's problems is a very ethical thing to do :dunno:

TurboD
08-24-2009, 05:51 PM
^^i just don't think that trying to profit by sensationalizing someone else's problems is a very ethical thing to do :dunno:

no one cares about your ethics, they both made choices, no one gets hurt, in fact the opposite, both parties benifit

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
^^hrm, actually, looking at the thread, it would appear the my point of view is shared with more people than yours. so yea, thanks for calling me ignorant and trying to alienate my ethics :rolleyes:

TurboD
08-24-2009, 06:01 PM
^^hrm, actually, looking at the thread, it would appear the my point of view is shared with more people than yours. so yea, thanks for calling me ignorant and trying to alienate my ethics :rolleyes:

in a thread full of retards you are the leader, good work

JMaj7
08-24-2009, 06:03 PM
"The best of alms is that which the right hand giveth, and the left hand knoweth not of. "

Corporate Social Responsibility and this are two different things. I do not agree with them sensationalizing this lady's illness to gain recognition/business. Word of mouth, sure, flyers? not good. Even a simple post on beyond minus the first party representation wouldn't have been that bad.

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by TurboD

in a thread full of retards you are the leader, good work

touche

even though your now just resorting to calling everyone else retards :poosie: very mature hahha.

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 06:07 PM
sorry

TurboD
08-24-2009, 06:20 PM
i think whether it had good or selfish basis, the fact is that it was a good deed and helped someone out that needed it.

you don't have to call it moral, but you have to admit that it helped someone rather than harm.

TorqueDog
08-24-2009, 06:32 PM
in a thread full of retards you are the leader, good work Sigged!

spikerS
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
so your telling me that if a boyscout helped an elderly lady across a busy road to get a badge, makes it LESS of a good deed? or if the boy scout is recognized by his scout troop and inspires others to do the same, that boyscout is now the devil.

I like your morals champ.

HuMz
08-24-2009, 06:49 PM
i think whether it had good or selfish basis, the fact is that it was a good deed and helped someone out that needed it.

you don't have to call it moral, but you have to admit that it helped someone rather than harm.

Exactly, for all we know the lady could have been so grateful that she wanted her story out. I know if they saved me from losing my house id do everything I could to support them.

Alot of people in this thread just don't understand how businesses work. Like mentioned almost every major business uses charities and events for further gain and if every company in Calgary did this alot of people would be helped.l

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
so your telling me that if a boyscout helped an elderly lady across a busy road to get a badge, makes it LESS of a good deed? or if the boy scout is recognized by his scout troop and inspires others to do the same, that boyscout is now the devil.

now we're trying to equate these business practices with teaching tools for children :rolleyes:

spikerS
08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
well you are equating roofers with doctors :rolleyes:

GREENBOY
08-24-2009, 07:41 PM

That is nothing like the actual example we're talking about and is a shit analogy.

It's simple. In terms of business ethics, using a cancer victim for financial gain and profit, including a shameless ad at the bottom of the story asking for calls for estimates just sucks. FACT.

There's a way to do the whole corporate responibility thing, but this example is crude and just comes across as pretty sketchy. There are classy ways to do a good deed. This is not one of them. It crossed the line into being just wrong.

badatusrnames
08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
meh.

Some bored people around here.

Businesses and corporations support plenty of charities and causes an certainly do not do so anonymously. For example, look at all of the Olympic corporate partnerships - it's win-win.

spikerS
08-24-2009, 07:47 PM

That is nothing like the actual example we're talking about and is a shit analogy.

It's simple. In terms of business ethics, using a cancer victim for financial gain and profit, including a shameless ad at the bottom of the story asking for calls for estimates just sucks. FACT.

There's a way to do the whole corporate responibility thing, but this example is crude and just comes across as pretty sketchy. There are classy ways to do a good deed. This is not one of them. It crossed the line into being just wrong.

FACT? haha, watching too many wendy's commercials? wtf, where was your fact?

so shell waiting to go on tv and giving a cheque to the childrens hospital crosses the line too huh?

this company saved a woman from losing her house, and if they can drum up some business from it, kudos to them. This is just the kind of thing that will make me call them.

If you think it is wrong, I will find another deserving family that you can step up and buy them a new roof, and do so without saying shit. lead by example right?

nonlinear
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
^^there is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE between giving a cheque to an established charity and sensationalizing the problems of an individual or family, like this roofing company is doing, or like extreme makeover does on TV (and YES, this IS a valid analogy).

spikerS
08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
^^there is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE between giving a cheque to an established charity and sensationalizing the problems of an individual or family, like this roofing company is doing, or like extreme makeover does on TV (and YES, this IS a valid analogy).

Riddle me this....

Are you willing to step up and pay to replace a deserving person's roof, or car, or house for that matter? until you are, or are on the receiving end of such generosity, you don't know where that line is between sensationalism and keeping a roof over your head. quite literally in this case.

obviously these people all sign release forms to the companies, and are ok with it.

And weather or not it is to a registered charity, or to a family in need, every business has the same objective in mind. A tax write off and free advertising. If you don't like it, tough shit. To the people that this directly affects, this is a god send in most cases.

Redwagon
08-24-2009, 09:02 PM

What? When Shell gives the cheque to the Children's Hospital, they always run a ton of stories about the affected kids in the hospital or in your words, sensationalizing the problems of an individual or family. You just proved Spikers point. Good job :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
08-24-2009, 09:10 PM

sabad66
08-24-2009, 10:28 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with this. So what if it is a marketing ploy? Nobody loses here. A single mother who would otherwise have to sell her house gets a free roof, and a company gets a little exposure.

I suppose anyone who donates money shouldn't ask for a tax receipt either? :rolleyes:

2EFNFAST
08-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by vtec4life
I live on that street.

The guys dropped off the shingles and stuff on a friday, said they would come back on saturday to do the job so all the neighbours thought it would be nice to set up a table at 7 AM on a saturday and bring doughnuts and coffee and other treats for the nice men who were roofing her house for free.

They didnt show... :rolleyes:

it could be done by now but they definitely didnt show up when they said they would leaving some pissed off neighbours who got up extra early thinking they were doing something nice.

PS that whole story the OP wrote.....was word for word the story they printed off and stuck in every single persons door on that block so im guessing this guy works there.

Im with the other ones on this...free marketing ploy

So did they ever show up and finish the roof? If the materials are still there, then it kind of defeats what people are saying.

nismo_fan
08-27-2009, 10:10 PM
ok, sorry i havent been on in a few days. i dont work for the roofing company. it was a family member who got the roof done, and i felt the need to let everyone know that i was extremely happy that they did this. they took time out of their weekend to help out, all without any pay. the guys were really nice, hard working, and they helped out a person in need.

oh, and btw the roofers did cancel the one day, because they were so behind due to all the rain that calgary received. they kept in touch though, and did finish the job.

TurboD
08-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by nismo_fan
ok, sorry i havent been on in a few days. i dont work for the roofing company. it was a family member who got the roof done, and i felt the need to let everyone know that i was extremely happy that they did this. they took time out of their weekend to help out, all without any pay. the guys were really nice, hard working, and they helped out a person in need.

oh, and btw the roofers did cancel the one day, because they were so behind due to all the rain that calgary received. they kept in touch though, and did finish the job.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nonlinear
08-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by nismo_fan

so you go ahead and post some low-brow, sensationalist piece of garbage written by the roofing company, instead of just thanking the company in your own words (which would be far more effective, i might add)???? how did you get ahold of that written statement? do you live in the neighborhoood also, or did the cancer-stricken single mother save it for you?

sure.

and seriously, we have no idea who you are. i mean shit, i'm jarome iginla :bigpimp:

spikerS
08-30-2009, 01:15 PM

so you go ahead and post some low-brow, sensationalist piece of garbage written by the roofing company, instead of just thanking the company in your own words (which would be far more effective, i might add)???? how did you get ahold of that written statement? do you live in the neighborhoood also, or did the cancer-stricken single mother save it for you?

sure.

and seriously, we have no idea who you are. i mean shit, i'm jarome iginla :bigpimp:

try HARDER...

Kritafo
08-30-2009, 01:47 PM
you don't battle or beat Myeloma, it slowly takes over your body. It doesn't matter how healthy you are. Survival median is around 5 - 10 years. It's bone marrow cancer, my mother was diagnosed very early and passed away after 2 years of intense horrible pain. It's cancer, all cancers are brutal.

I just don't understand how getting a free roof changes her life. A good hail storm would have been enough to make an insurance claim...it's what everyone seems to do in Calgary.

It's nice that she got something fixed I guess, but it makes me feel like everyone with cancer should get a free roof. How did she go about getting the roof done, did she inquire because of her condition?

Regardless...sorry to hear it's a family member Myeloma is not fun to watch.

spikerS
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

I just don't understand how getting a free roof changes her life. A good hail storm would have been enough to make an insurance claim...it's what everyone seems to do in Calgary.

because there are still honest people in this world, and one less thing to worry about gives you that much more time to enjoy what time is left.

nismo_fan
09-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

It's nice that she got something fixed I guess, but it makes me feel like everyone with cancer should get a free roof. How did she go about getting the roof done, did she inquire because of her condition?

she actually didn't have much to do with it. the neighbour across the street was getting his roof done, and he knows about the situation with the roof. he was the one who contacted the owner of Starr's Roofing, and he was the one who set everything up. Charlene's roof was in very poor condition, there were 4 different spots that had mould growing and had to have parts of the roof replaced, including the plywood underneath the shingles.

BTW, i'm just an in-law to Charlene. Like i stated before, i have no affiliation with Starr's Roofing, they just deserve a :clap: .

Kritafo
09-06-2009, 01:39 PM
That is terrific that they did this for her.

All the best to Charlene, and don't forgot how fragile she is. My mother looked so healthy and was so frail all at the same time.