PDA

View Full Version : how do I get rid of outdoor mice?

Kritafo
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
anyone know how to get rid of mice outside?

We don't want to poison with kids and dogs. We have about 20 traps loaded with peanut butter everyday the traps are clean and not sprung. It's crazy, they are eating up my whole garden.

Graham_A_M
08-23-2009, 04:48 PM
^ You can buy these metal box style mouse traps. Just make sure you check them often since if you have a couple mice in there and no food, they'll resort to cannibalism. Quite fucking gross actually. We have a few at my dads farm and they work quite well. I'd google other baits for the mice as Peanut butter doesn't work nearly as well as other baits I've found. I Forget which ones unfortunately as its been quite a few years.
Alternatively, you can use a Rodenticide called Ratak. Only Rats & Mice are attracted to it. What mice & rats we've killed using that we've never found again, so I wouldn't be overly worried about other animals finding their carcasses and eating them. :dunno:

You can get both in the UFA store. Both are quite cheap.

Kritafo
08-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ You can buy these metal box style mouse traps. Just make sure you check them often since if you have a couple mice in there and no food, they'll resort to cannibalism. Quite fucking gross actually. We have a few at my dads farm and they work quite well. I'd google other baits for the mice as Peanut butter doesn't work nearly as well as other baits I've found. I Forget which ones unfortunately as its been quite a few years.
Alternatively, you can use a Rodenticide called Ratak. Only Rats & Mice are attracted to it. What mice & rats we've killed using that we've never found again, so I wouldn't be overly worried about other animals finding their carcasses and eating them. :dunno:

You can get both in the UFA store. Both are quite cheap.

Yes we were just talking about making a trip back to UFA I have one of those plastic live traps but it has failed to get anything even with the bait. But I am definately will to try a different brand.

So are you talking about this kind of trap?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=909581&Ntt=909581&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

thanks!

delled
08-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

So are you talking about this kind of trap?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=909581&Ntt=909581&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

I don't know how these work but UFA has this metal box that we have used. They work well but don't put them out and forget about them or they will get disgusting.
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/cgi-bin/pestcontrol.storefront/EN/product/T187

Graham_A_M
08-23-2009, 07:55 PM
^Thats the one we used. Use that along with some very effective bait and they'll work quite well for you.

Originally posted by 89coupe

Get a cat with some balls...LOL.

My dads cat brings home Pheasant, Crows, Grouse, any bird he can sink his claws into.

My cat does have quite the balls. He's taken down everything short of a Hare (those big rabbits).

Its just the Nagpies are smart enough to antagonize him by ganging up and cawing at him. They love to play cat & mouse (or cat & bird I guess) So they get JUST close enough, but not so close that he can get them. Its like a game to them, and its quite frustrating as this goes on right outside my window(s).

speedog
08-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Found that traps never worked effectively, gave up and bought Rodentex at Golden Acre Garden Sentre in the north end. Been using it several years now and no more mice problems. Am very careful to place it in areas that other animals can't get into. Don't even have mice problems in the car we've put away for the past 13 years. Also found that the pelleted forms work best - blocks were mostly ignored by mice (http://www.kinghg.on.ca/rat.htm).

Dumbass17
08-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
anyone know how to get rid of mice outside?

put them inside!

EEEEEH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

BokCh0y
08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I used the Victor power kill mouse traps:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=909629&Ntt=909629&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Caught 5 in 5 days. Ranges from small to fat mice. I like these because they have a bigger trigger area than the conventional wooden springer traps where the mouse had to physically wiggle the springer to get caught. I used pb as bait.

Oh yeah, i also caught a sparrow with this thing too hahha. But it just caught the beak...so it lived and i set it free. As for the mice...only 1 lived when caught and it was a baby which was caught by its tail. That one paid a quick visit to a bucket full of water.

Worked for me.

No poisons either cause of kids and dog.

Goodluck.

freshprince1
08-25-2009, 08:48 AM
If you live in Alberta, mice are a fact of life.

Best thing to do is always keep your doors closed, especially in the weeks leading into Fall - when the mice come looking for a warmer place to live. Set traps in the garage in early Fall.

Kritafo
08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
yes I know mice are a fact of life in Alberta...I just wasn't very happy to see that out of 50 assorted melons they nibbled all of them. I am out a melon crop this year. They mowed down a row of peas that is the length of a fence in 2 days.

We caught 2 last night, and the dog has got a few this week. I do keep traps in my garage and we haven't had any problems and in the 9 years we have lived in our house we only ever had 1. I try to be very careful about them getting into the house.

n1zm0
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
i suggest a cat, even a friends cat. both my GFs cats will kill/eat anything that moves that is smaller than them, spiders/birds/mice/squirrels. trust me they will find the mice even if you dont see them, one of the cats even put its kill in my shoe in the mornings sometimes, like 'here you go master, a gift from my nightly expeditions!'

mice will burrow into anything tho, you're not safe anywhere even your car, we had a customer come in at the dealership i worked at complaining of a stench in their SUV when the heater motor was on.

after ripping almost the whole heating/a/c system apart we found a mouse had made a nest in the blower motor carousel filter and when it turned on it was spun/cooked to death then started to deteriorate. my buddy had to take it out, the mouse used sound deadener from the floor too, almost a good square foot!

quazimoto
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Mleh cats are sissy. My Boston Terrier snaps them in half. Heck terrier's were trained years ago to kill rats lol, so mice are a walk in the park, and plus they are pretty dogs lol.