PDA

View Full Version : Sports Jacket vs. Blazer

Nusc
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
What's the difference? What are the 'intended' uses?

Thanks!

ZorroAMG
08-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Usually, sports jackets are more casual, less structured in the body/shoulders and will tend to have open pockets and buttons that contrast.

Blazer is more like a suit jacket without the pants....

scat19
08-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Blazers/Sport Jackets + Jeans = fail. Just so tacky IMO

Kloubek
08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
^ Personally, I dig the look.

Street_Soldier
08-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I also like the look and so do chicks.

Canucks3322
08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Agreed, the look is getting a little too douchey....lose the jacket and get a nice cardigan/sweater with buttons.

rizfarmer
08-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Agreed, the look is getting a little too douchey....lose the jacket and get a nice cardigan/sweater with buttons.

you must be about 57

ZorroAMG
08-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Considering it was cool in '04'-05, welcome to 4 years ago with the tacky-imo.

:D

turbotrip
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM

co-sign

XylathaneGTR
08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

you must be about 57
If you're looking at "The Bay," then all you'll find are old man cardigans. There's some rad ones out there but you've gotta hunt them down.

Canucks3322
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
rizfarmer....lol, I think I just had about 5 people agree with me, you keep wearing your sport jacket and jeans and look like a douche...I bet you wear them with those elf looking shoes too eh....good luck with that....don't forget your sunglasses too when you hit up BLVD on the weekends.

Zara has some pretty nice cardigans right now.

rockanrepublic
08-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Nusc
What's the difference? What are the 'intended' uses?

Thanks!

:hijack:
this thread wasn't about weather blazers and jeans go well together its whats the difference.

now to answer the question the difference is the material and or the color/pattern as well as a blazer is double breasted were as a sports jacket is single-breasted also blazer pockets usually dont have pocket flaps
for example blazers are almost always black or navy blue and are considered more formal then a sports jacket which comes in a large variety of colors.

Blazers vs Jackets (http://ca.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_300/314_fashion_advice.html)

Nusc
08-24-2009, 11:58 PM
When you guys say douche? Are you referring to metrosexual?

rockanrepublic
08-25-2009, 12:16 AM
i forgot to say with a blazer or a sports jacket they can be suitable for a huge amount of formalitys by dressing it down with the pants shoes or shirt.

rockanrepublic
08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
*double post*

Nusc
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm serious. Did you guys mean metrosexual or snob or something else?

Canucks3322
08-25-2009, 11:04 PM
douche = chauchy

95EagleAWD
08-26-2009, 08:44 AM
When you guys say douche? Are you referring to metrosexual?

Usually when I refer to someone as a douchebag, it's some faggy-looking guy that I want to punch.

But that's me. :dunno:

Thomas Gabriel
08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
How many of the people saying jeans + blazer = douche are blue collar?

msommers
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't mind wearing my sports jacket with a nice dress shirt and jeans, and I'm certainly not a chauch:dunno: Can I see some of these nice cardigans?

urban.one
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
The blazer and jeans look works well for standup comics.

For the non-standup comic, the look can be pullled off but it needs to be the right jeans and right jacket. Dont take the jacket from your old suit after youve worn out the trousers and expect to look good with the same jeans that looked good with your Ed Hardy shirt last year.

Most dont pull this look off.

Nusc
08-26-2009, 02:30 PM

So most of you think that those who wear blazers and jeans are chauchy.

When I see someone in cardigan/sweater with buttons and anyone with elf-shoes, I think of metrosexual.

I think the former look is nice and the later looks more feminine. But that's just me of course. Do chicks even dig the later?

max_boost
08-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I don't mind wearing my sports jacket with a nice dress shirt and jeans, and I'm certainly not a chauch:dunno: Can I see some of these nice cardigans?

haha I've never been one to keep up with style and while I don't have a nice sports jacket or blazer, I didn't think wearing one with jeans made you a douche bag. Also assuming that the fit is right. Fitment is everything. Over sized stuff looks terrible no matter what brand/how expensive it is.

I've always viewed cardigans=mr.rogers lol but what do I know.

max_boost
08-26-2009, 03:11 PM

So most of you think that those who wear blazers and jeans are chauchy.

When I see someone in cardigan/sweater with buttons and anyone with elf-shoes, I think of metrosexual.

I think the former look is nice and the later looks more feminine. But that's just me of course. Do chicks even dig the later?

If I had to pick between the two I would go with the blazer and jeans......:dunno:

What would Zorro do? :D

atgilchrist
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

haha I've never been one to keep up with style and while I don't have a nice sports jacket or blazer, I didn't think wearing one with jeans made you a douche bag. Also assuming that the fit is right. Fitment is everything. Over sized stuff looks terrible no matter what brand/how expensive it is.

I've always viewed cardigans=mr.rogers lol but what do I know.

It's all about fit. A Canali jacket will look like trash if it doesn't properly. And jeans should not be faded/hoey when worn with a jacket, or ever.

And don't knock cardigans! They're the only thing that keep me from freezing in our over-air-conditioned office.

Nusc
08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Cardigans are appropriate office wear?

ZorroAMG
08-26-2009, 08:30 PM
LOL they're appropriate if you are Lloyd from Entourage, or many of his clones on here.

I don't tend to rock blazer with jeans anymore, unless it's chilly out and I don't want to wear a parka.

Want to know the REAL reason why it's douchey and played out? Cause 9/10 of you can't even put that look together. You wear ill-fitting shirts, ill fitting blazers, ugly or boring color combos and ripped highschooler jeans. Do ANY look right and it's not going to look douchey or played out.

Fashion does NOT equal style....fashion comes from style, a lesson for you rack buyers.

What I do now is pretty low key, Max I can't reveal my sources on here hahaha...

Nusc
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
9/10 of us can't even put that look together?

When you say look are you referring to someone like this:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=47083

? In the blazer section of course. Or centre in:
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/division.do?cid=47057

The guy needs to lose the beret which looks really lame without a beard/mustache.

Not sure where you guys are getting at.

ZorroAMG
08-27-2009, 12:22 AM
No, no...those look fine, they are put together by stylists and tailors so it works well. I mean your average dude that can't buy the right fitting clothes or color schemes to save his life...that ruins any look It's all in the tailor...even if you think it fits well, a good tailor for $15 can make it fit perfect.

no_joke
08-27-2009, 06:42 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/CasanovaRuffin/00009f.jpg

Chev doesn't look too bad here. Broad statements like "jacket+jeans=fail" is just silly. If it fits, you coordinate, and you carry yourself well, then anything can look good. Except maybe the MMA shirt + skater shoes combo.

scat19
08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I mean your average dude that can't buy the right fitting clothes or color schemes to save his life.

I actually agree with you for once.

People need to by FITTED clothes, not hanging off your body.

I stand by my "broad" statement. Tacky.

And that's the character he's playing, Chev, his real name is Jason Statham.

JAYMEZ
08-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Hmmm..

I wear jeans / sports jacket sometimes when I go out in Vegas/LA .. I just did what the ex gf told me LOL.. I have never had a problem..

Im not going to lie , I wear what women like on ME.. and thats all I care about ATM.. sometimes ill be super low key and wear whats comfortable.. I am not a "scene" type guy , or consider my self at the front of fashion (Cuz im not)..

But honestly , why bitch about what people wear? I think Goth/Grundge/Skater/Nerd wear is nasty.. but people can wear whatever they want , really doesnt bother me anymore.

Anyyywho.. I actually wouldn't mind knowing whats in fashion , any websites?

JfuckinC
08-27-2009, 09:22 AM
obviously you're looking to impress the opposite sex, don't ask the nerd crew on here, ask one of your more tasteful female friends to come shopping with you and try out a bunch of different styles. They will tell you what suites you in the eye of a girl, which is what you want anyway, isn't it? haha

That's what i do, i have an extremely casual style, but i clean up well, half cause my friends are mostly chauchy metro fucks, and half cause i make my girlfriends come shopping with me. That an im lazy so they do the shopping for you :dunno:

JAYMEZ
08-27-2009, 09:27 AM
^^ Hhah of course. I am a recent single mofo now.. and I have my needs lol

Yah I always go shopping with my chick friends , but it always help to know whats in for CALGARY... I went to Van 2 weeks ago and I had to borrow cloths from my friend who lives there because I did not fit in at all lol.

ZorroAMG
08-27-2009, 09:54 AM

I actually agree with you for once.

Why are you being a dick lately? It's not like you and I butt heads lots.

Isaiah
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Lately?

ZorroAMG
08-27-2009, 10:24 AM
LOL...

89coupe
08-27-2009, 11:00 AM
LOL they're appropriate if you are Lloyd from Entourage, or many of his clones on here.

I don't tend to rock blazer with jeans anymore, unless it's chilly out and I don't want to wear a parka.

Want to know the REAL reason why it's douchey and played out? Cause 9/10 of you can't even put that look together. You wear ill-fitting shirts, ill fitting blazers, ugly or boring color combos and ripped highschooler jeans. Do ANY look right and it's not going to look douchey or played out.

Fashion does NOT equal style....fashion comes from style, a lesson for you rack buyers.

What I do now is pretty low key, Max I can't reveal my sources on here hahaha...

Are you the lady's man, a kiss stealing, wheeling dealing, jet flying, limosine riding, trend setter? Whoooooo!

:rofl:

ZorroAMG
08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
I could teach you a thing or 5 :D

scat19
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm not being a dick to you :angel:

I agree. Perhaps "for once" threw you off.

Jaymez try askmen.com

scat19
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Lately?

oh pfff. canesten stops vagina itch :thumbsup:

JfuckinC
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Yah I always go shopping with my chick friends , but it always help to know whats in for CALGARY... I went to Van 2 weeks ago and I had to borrow cloths from my friend who lives there because I did not fit in at all lol.

Damn, i could see that being awkward.. But then again i dont fit in with my friends at all haha..

Crymson
08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
This should be spun off into a fashion thread. Considering how much it comes up on here, i'm surprised there isn't a section yet. But i guess it would just turn into a fight.

TorqueDog
08-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I only rock the 'jeans and a jacket' look on Fridays - because it's the only day I'm allowed to wear jeans to work. Usually an untucked fitted long-sleeve button-up works. Presentable yet comfortable.

JfuckinC
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
This should be spun off into a fashion thread. Considering how much it comes up on here, i'm surprised there isn't a section yet. But i guess it would just turn into a fight.

That's because so many try-hards on here would talk shit about other peoples styles and try and act like they have some rico suave shit down and get laid daily, when really, they're just fag's with zero experience in life haha.. it just the way of beyond, only the fake's survive..

Crymson
08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

That's because so many try-hards on here would talk shit about other peoples styles and try and act like they have some rico suave shit down and get laid daily, when really, they're just fag's with zero experience in life haha.. it just the way of beyond, only the fake's survive..

I dunno. i've seen some threads in the past, where guys came out and said "I have no sense, and want to get some new clothes, but don't even know where to start" and the thread turned out to be quite helpful and fairly respectful....

I think with style, it's way to personal to judge. Most people know what works for them, and some people just need a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

TorqueDog
08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
when really, they're just fag'sThey're just fag's what?

rockanrepublic
08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

they could call it the "threads thread" get it??:rolleyes:

Isaiah
08-28-2009, 12:51 AM

oh pfff. canesten stops vagina itch :thumbsup:
Wouldn't know because I have a penis. Isn't there some knitting forum you can join, miss?

XylathaneGTR
08-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic

they could call it the "threads thread" get it??:rolleyes:
I see what you did there!

JfuckinC
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
They're just fag's what?

:rofl:

nice.

rizfarmer
08-31-2009, 06:50 PM
rizfarmer....lol, I think I just had about 5 people agree with me, you keep wearing your sport jacket and jeans and look like a douche...I bet you wear them with those elf looking shoes too eh....good luck with that....don't forget your sunglasses too when you hit up BLVD on the weekends.

Zara has some pretty nice cardigans right now.

ZARA :rofl: :rofl: Sorry, I underestimated you. You buy cardigans at Zara, I'll shut up now.

Cardigans are appropriate office wear?

Here you go Canucks... I tend never to agree with Zorro, about anything, but I have to say from reading this post, and knowing his industry, that 100% he knows exactly what he is talking about.

I financed a portion of my university education by working downtown at TD in a mens store, and occasionally had the opportunity to dress athletes and celebs visiting Calgary; so I would say the only douches hanging out here are the ones shopping for cardigans at chinook mall.