PDA

View Full Version : I don't think the sod will come back!

hampstor
08-24-2009, 10:07 AM
I was helping some friends lay sod on the weekend when I spotted this disaster :

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk71/hampstor/photo-1.jpg

The story is, they had sod delivered, put it in the garage, layed the sod a week later, and never watered it. That, and all the seams were not staggered.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Kloubek
08-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Well that was a big waste of money...

dr_jared88
08-24-2009, 10:12 AM
why would they put the sod in the garage? at least leave it outside so it has a chance. some people and their children

sputnik
08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I always laugh when people have their sod delivered and haven't even STARTED prepping their yard.

Someone across the street had 3 ft of weeds in the yard and had 6 yards of topsoil and their sod delivered on their driveway. They were working 3 full days trying to get it all done before the sod was useless. As it was the sod was still pretty sad looking at took a lot of work to get it to look half decent.

Why not just order the sod for the day you actually plan to lay it? You usually only have to give the sod companies 2-3 days notice.

Mibz
08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I couldn't find a good pic of a green car... but I imagine he's shooting for this look with his neighbours.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2823/222/32055110944_large.jpg

jonnycat
08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
:rofl:

man that's funny

JC522
08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
haha was it brown already when they decided to lay it?

masoncgy
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Why not just order the sod for the day you actually plan to lay it?

Common sense. Something you can't teach in school or pay to take at college or university.

Sadly, people just lack basic thinking skills.

guessboi
08-24-2009, 06:32 PM
:facepalm: OMG. and they still laid it on. well. weeds will grow on top of this now. :rofl:

luv2ride_bikes
08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
One of my neighbors a couple years ago paid someone to come in and lay their sod. This was at the beginning of summer and they didn't put a drop of water on it. by the end of summer, it looked just as bad as the picture above. Now their yeard is full of weeds. What a waste of money.

Ven
08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Truly brutal. Voluntary public shaming to lay sod like that, and then LEAVE it there. It's like shitting yourself wearing cellophane pants and going about your day hoping people will think the brown is just the color of your underwear.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/hdm51/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Davetronz
08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
That looks like some of my neighbors in New Brighton.

Melinda
08-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Haha sadly, this is our neighbour's house. They're right across the street from us. I'd say they waited more than a week to lay it, it was on their driveway for 2 or 3 days, then disapeared for a week before it was laid. It was our best guess that they pulled it into their garage in the meantime. And yes, it was brown the day they laid it down.

Since it's been laid, we haven't seen a single drop of water on it. Their next door neighbour complained that their yard looked like shit so the guy went out and threw some grass seed on top of it. As if that isn't hilarious enough, he hasn't watered the grass seed either.

Turns out there are a few bylaws that can actually force this guy to re-do it. If it doesn't get replaced (which doesnt seem likely) I guess the neighbourhood could take some action of their own.

quazimoto
08-30-2009, 09:17 AM
If the tard actually started to water it he'd have green grass next year. Many grass species go into hibernation although appear dead. But if the retard isn't even watering his grass then I feel sorry for him. I'm sure the community he built in has specifications in the agreement he signed in order to buy that house that require him to have green grass within 12 months of possession.

Pollywog
08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Common sense. Something you can't teach in school or pay to take at college or university.

It's unfortunate that common sense isn't that common these days.

That sod looks like shit.

Graham_A_M
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
:rofl:

Most people forget to give the Sod a good sized dose of fertilizer as well. with a few good waterings and a good base of Fertilizer, most sod takes incredibly well.

colsankey
08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
What would be the latest you'd typically want to lay sod?

Ours just got put down last thursday and I'm thinking that its getting late in the year for it to be rooting properly before fall.

pf0sh0
08-30-2009, 11:09 AM
What a ri tard

spikerS
08-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by colsankey

Ours just got put down last thursday and I'm thinking that its getting late in the year for it to be rooting properly before fall.

most grasses that you have in calgary will usually be pretty solidly rooted in 3-4 weeks after being layed. sometimes less if you soak the crap outta the topsoil before putting the sod down, and rolling it afterwards.

biggest thing for the sod is lots of water. and if the weather stays relatively nice, putting sod in up until the middle of sept is usually fine.

Graham_A_M
08-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by colsankey

I think the first couple weeks of Sept. will be the very latest you'd want to Sod. Any later then that and you'll be risking the sod not taking properly before frost hits.

FiveFreshFish
08-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Brown grass > weeds.

DarkDream
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
hahaha That picture made my day....

That guy fails at life. hahaha

Masked Bandit
08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Grass is pretty tough stuff. I bet if he watered it a bunch he could still get that to come back. We had some stuff laid by the developer by the sidewalk in the spring of 2008. I didn't do the rest of our yard until this year so I just left the developer stuff. No water or anything and it all went brown (of course). My plan was to just pull it up this year when I did mine and put down fresh. Well with the winter snow melt and the spring rain the shit all went green anyway.

1-Bar
08-31-2009, 08:08 PM
haha, saw it over the weekend.....well it might rain this wednesday :dunno: maybe it will turn green

Graham_A_M
08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
^ No its done. There may be some VERY small patches that may come back with lots of TLC, but thats it.
The only grass that'll grow there is new grass seed thats blown in, or quack grass.
But yeah that sod is a goner. :thumbsdow

hampstor
09-04-2009, 09:06 AM
one of my buddies does landscaping & irrigation for a living, he refuses to install sod at anyone's house unless they do irrigation.

His reason - people who dont take care of their new sod and let it die. Then they blame the contractor. He gets less sales because of it but doesn't have to deal with the idiots.

Even though that guy didn't have his sod installed by a contractor, had he did it still would've ended up just as dead.

Masked Bandit
09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
one of my buddies does landscaping & irrigation for a living, he refuses to install sod at anyone's house unless they do irrigation.

His reason - people who dont take care of their new sod and let it die. Then they blame the contractor. He gets less sales because of it but doesn't have to deal with the idiots.

Even though that guy didn't have his sod installed by a contractor, had he did it still would've ended up just as dead.

Well that's just crazy. We don't have irrigation and I've probably go some of the greenest grass on the block.

hampstor
09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Well that's just crazy. We don't have irrigation and I've probably go some of the greenest grass on the block.

It's not about how green the grass is. Let me rephrase - As most of us know, the first week after the sod is laid is the most important one. Lots of water is required. From his experience before he did irrigation, there were people who wouldn't water it enough or at all and it would kill the grass. Then, he'd get blamed because of the 'bad install' when in fact it was the owner's who were not watering it enough..

He doesn't want to deal with it anymore, so he only does sod installs now if they go with irrigation.

Graham_A_M
09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
^Yeah thats a good idea actually. Or if I were him I'd create a bit of a spread sheet or a "Do's & dont's" of how to take care of the sod so the owners know exactly what to do. At least with that in their hands its a conscious decision at that point if they choose not to follow it.
With that; if the sod DOES die at least he can remind them that they should've followed the list provided. If they didn't then they have no body to blame but themselves.

unfortunately not everybody knows how to properly water grass, as stupid as I know that is. :rolleyes: