PDA

View Full Version : Stealerships

pathwaydon
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Well there's a lot to reply to there.

Let's deal with the profit margins. As a previous poster has indicated consumer websites like carcostcanada.com will give you this information. I'd be suprised to find more then a few vehicles in any line-up that have $2K-$3K in profit. That vast majority of vehicles, at least at Hyundai and I know Toyota have less then $2K in profit. But even if you're correct, if the dealer makes a $27000 investment of capital to purchase the vehicle from the manufacturer is he not entitled to a 5%-6% return on investment? That is likely the lowest return in retail! And most deals don't take a few hours work, in somecases it takes days or weeks. The dealer needs that profit to:

A. Pay the sales rep
B. Pay support people
C. Keep the lights on
D. Pay himself

It's a business. It's not like the dealer gets every dime of a $1500 or $2000 profit. He gets what's left after everyone gets paid.

High Prices in service:

What is the going door rate for an independant mechanic in your area? Let's say Canadian Tire or something. Around here it's about $85/hour. Our door rate at the dealer is $106/hour. Now, if you're going to have to pay to get repairs and whatnot done on yourt car anyway, is it really worth the $20/hour you save going to an independant mechanic? Has he had the specialized training that techs at the dealership are REQUIRED to take. How well does he know your particular make/model/year. If you just spent say $40k on a new 2010 Genesis Coupe, would you take it to Canadian Tire to have work done. Maybe you would, but I wouldn't.

To Rip off or not Rip off.

It really doesn't matter the sticker price of the item. By that prevalent logic, if a new car was only $150.00 no one would ever haggle for a lower price. I doubt it. I will shop around for a less expensive T.V. when I'm in the market, but once I find the one I want at the least expensive price assuming they are both the same make/model year/trim I'll buy it. But I won't try to haggle the guy over the price.

And what about service? I assume from your use of the word stealerships that you have had a few bad experiences with sales reps or a particular dealer. Did you do any research before hand with the BBB or local consumer affairs advocate? Would that have been worth it to you in the long run?

Redlyne_mr2
08-24-2009, 12:37 PM
You should keep this in the sales rep thread :).

pathwaydon
08-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
You should keep this in the sales rep thread :).

I meant to in response to an earlier post. Maybe the MOD will help me out and move it..

My bad

2002civic
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
CAD tire out here is 105/hour LOL and that is to have a 16 y/o work on my car, no thanks...

pathwaydon
08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
CAD tire out here is 105/hour LOL and that is to have a 16 y/o work on my car, no thanks...

What would the dealership's rate be?

Nav13
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Nissan/Infinity charge $130/hr

2002civic
08-24-2009, 02:04 PM
VW is 115
Audi 125 i think

SOAB
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Ours is $115/hour at VW.

scat19
08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Saving 50 dollars an hour, having REAL customer service, face to face with the mechanic, true knowledge - not trying to rip you off, thats what an INDY does if you can find them.

Or DIY FTMFW.

luv2ride_bikes
08-25-2009, 08:06 AM
I get my new vehicles serviced at the dealers. I will do this until the warranty runs out, then I will take it to a different service centre. Every dealer's service department I have dealt with have been a nightmare. They NEVER return your calls. Very hard to get a hold of anyone on the phone. They do a half ass job at fixing problems. Some problems I have had to return the vehicle 3 or 4 times before the problem was actually fixed. You would think that if you are paying a premium price for service, you get premium service. Now I know this is probably not at all dealerships, just the four I have dealt with in Calgary. I am hoping that Honda will be better, when I take my vehicle for its 1st oil change.

I understand that the dealer has overhead to pay out of the profit they make from you, and they are a business that needs to turn a healthy profit. From what I heard, they make a pretty big profit from their service departments too. IMHO, a profit of 2% should be enough for the dealer. If I can get my vehicle for invoice +2%, then I am happy. The dealership is still making money, and I will probably bring my vehicle there for servicing, where they will make a ton more money from me

texasnick
08-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by pathwaydon
High Prices in service:

What is the going door rate for an independant mechanic in your area? Let's say Canadian Tire or something. Around here it's about $85/hour. Our door rate at the dealer is $106/hour. Now, if you're going to have to pay to get repairs and whatnot done on yourt car anyway, is it really worth the $20/hour you save going to an independant mechanic? Has he had the specialized training that techs at the dealership are REQUIRED to take. How well does he know your particular make/model/year. If you just spent say $40k on a new 2010 Genesis Coupe, would you take it to Canadian Tire to have work done. Maybe you would, but I wouldn't.

Just because the techs that work at dealerships are required to take those courses doesn't necessarily mean that they do a better job. I have been to tons of dealerships to try and find little replacement washers and pins and what-not, stuff that is clearly supposed to be replaced as per the FSM, and 9 times out of 10, they don't carry those replacement parts, because THEY don't replace them when they work on vehicles. If the Factory Service Manual says to replace the damn crush washer, the people who work on the car at it's own dealership should replace the damn crush washer.

I do all my own work now.

g-m
08-25-2009, 09:31 AM
man every dealership I've ever used has been crap for service. You just CAN'T get a good mechanic in calgary who won't cut corners. fuck the dealerships no thanks they don't know shit. Thanks but I can read a factory service manual too, have more education, and actually care about my cars

edit^: 100%agreed. They are fucking wear items and they cost $0.02 wtf. Is the extra 30 seconds to do the job properly going to kill you? Plus, half the time they STILL tell you it was done and then they tell you you're full of shit when you take it apart and it obviously isn't done. Yea I agree, no 'mechanic' is touching my cars ever again.