PDA

View Full Version : importing boats, seadoos and trailers

interlude
08-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Not sure if I have this in the right section. But I am looking into buying some water toys. Does anybody have any experience importing a boat or sea doo into Canada? What about the trailer? I am hoping to buy one, drive down and tow it back.

Thanks for the help guys

dr_jared88
08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
It's not too bad to do but you need to have a separate receipt for the boat and the trailer as they are separate titles. Even if he sells you the trailer for $1 you need a receipt showing that. After that you get the trailer safetied and register your boat.

interlude
08-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
It's not too bad to do but you need to have a separate receipt for the boat and the trailer as they are separate titles. Even if he sells you the trailer for $1 you need a receipt showing that. After that you get the trailer safetied and register your boat.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to look into it further. Would I just get one of those transportation signs when towing it back? and then deal with the paperwork at the border crossing?

mycroftxxx
08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
unsure about the seadoos but quads and trailers need all the form 1 and form 2 to deal with and the corresponding form 2 inspection at a canadian inspection facility.

http://www.riv.ca/

JfuckinC
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
boat doesnt need inspection, only trailer. its actually so easy, just make sure you have every possible peice of paper work you can get and it will be a breeze at the border.

20incheyes
09-02-2009, 10:55 AM
As for the plate... I always get the owner to leave his plate on the trailer when I make my offer. Both times they had no problems with it. If they don't let you take their tag then go to the local DMV in the city you bought the boat and try to get a temporary permit or tag... if this doesn't work just register it in your name and you should get a plate.

If you do have an AB permanent trailer plate I'd take that with you just in case to the states.

When you cross the border let customs know you're importing a boat. Along with both bills of sale (Boat and Trailer) I suggest you have a copy of the original ad so you can show the asking price and then they won't question you as much IMO. They'll charge you the 5% GST if it's made in North America. I always get out of the customs office in under a few minutes... US Customs doesn't need to know you're exporting a boat and trailer, they don't care.

Once in Canada you'll have to go to your local GOVT Office that deals with boat registration, they need a copy of the boat bill of sale and you'll leave with Transport Canada reg for your boat as well as new boat numbers starting with AB1.....

For the trailer you will NOT need a recall letter as some ppl say. You pay the RIV fee of around $200, wait for an email and then head to Canadian Tire for an inspection, they don't even inspect if the lights work FYI but make sure your tires match and are in decent shape. Then they stamp a form and you go to the registries to get an AB plate or transfer it to the new trailer.

Cheers and happy boating

interlude
09-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 20incheyes
As for the plate... I always get the owner to leave his plate on the trailer when I make my offer. Both times they had no problems with it. If they don't let you take their tag then go to the local DMV in the city you bought the boat and try to get a temporary permit or tag... if this doesn't work just register it in your name and you should get a plate.

If you do have an AB permanent trailer plate I'd take that with you just in case to the states.

When you cross the border let customs know you're importing a boat. Along with both bills of sale (Boat and Trailer) I suggest you have a copy of the original ad so you can show the asking price and then they won't question you as much IMO. They'll charge you the 5% GST if it's made in North America. I always get out of the customs office in under a few minutes... US Customs doesn't need to know you're exporting a boat and trailer, they don't care.

Once in Canada you'll have to go to your local GOVT Office that deals with boat registration, they need a copy of the boat bill of sale and you'll leave with Transport Canada reg for your boat as well as new boat numbers starting with AB1.....

For the trailer you will NOT need a recall letter as some ppl say. You pay the RIV fee of around $200, wait for an email and then head to Canadian Tire for an inspection, they don't even inspect if the lights work FYI but make sure your tires match and are in decent shape. Then they stamp a form and you go to the registries to get an AB plate or transfer it to the new trailer.

Cheers and happy boating

SWEET thanks!