PDA

View Full Version : Coms 363

Mckenzie
11-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Is anyone else taking this joke of a class?

Just wondering what your opinions are on this course......it is the worst course ever conceived IMO.... And the head instructors suck balls....

For anyone thinking of taking this course......DONT!:thumbsdow

KLCC
11-08-2003, 02:28 PM
but how about those ppl who is already in this class? :banghead:

I agree, it is a totally useless course, but I guess the only good things about this course, is that there is no final and midterm.....

gkAeris
11-08-2003, 02:39 PM
if u take it with b HATTON it's ok, becuase it's easy!

Mckenzie
11-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Apparently they will be testing students on the course material for next semester. This stems from the fact that only about 20 people attend each lecture. What a useless course......

I mean....how many times can you hear the words "rhetoric, rhetorical, analysis, logos, ehtos, and pathos" before you want to stab yourself in the eye with a sharp object?? :thumbsdown:

I am just doing this lab 7 and it is pissing me off.....

thich
11-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris
if u take it with b HATTON it's ok, becuase it's easy!

i thought smith was the only person teaching it this time around.
when i took it last year, there was an option of taking it with 2-3 teachers.. smith is by far the worst prof i have ever had teach a course.
the course load was ridiculous for a 300-level course and she was a heartless machine.

it's a mandatory class for all engineers and management students now (it replaces SGMA301) for those of u who didn't know

and i think having the midterm/final idea will just make even more people pissed off at this course

Mckenzie
11-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by thich

i thought smith was the only person teaching it this time around.
when i took it last year, there was an option of taking it with 2-3 teachers.. smith is by far the worst prof i have ever had teach a course.
the course load was ridiculous for a 300-level course and she was a heartless machine.

it's a mandatory class for all engineers and management students now (it replaces SGMA301) for those of u who didn't know

and i think having the midterm/final idea will just make even more people pissed off at this course

Tania Smith is a heartless bitch IMO. She has a grade quota of a C. WTF is that shit? Even if everyone does top quality work some is still going to fail because of her shallow ass. The work load is out of this world for this course. I have spent a total of about 50 hours on her "50 Minute" lab assignments. And they are not even being graded.

It is because of people like her that the UofC gets shitty student reviews. I swear there is going to be a riot when the final grades are given out.

kaput
11-08-2003, 04:37 PM

nosegrindR
11-08-2003, 05:02 PM
dude that class is so hard now i hear, it used to be such a joke, now it's more work than a first year cpsc course:rofl:

TK91GT
11-08-2003, 06:45 PM
take it in the spring or summer. it was the easiest thing I've ever done. now as for CNST 443 I had the same reaction as you are now. Horrible class

thich
11-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Take it with Bryce. That is all.

doesn't matter; it's a standardized course now and everything is under the nazi control of [Agent] Smith the Machine Queen :thumbsdow

Mckenzie, the harshest thing about this class is that she doesn't care what kind of rating/reputation she gets b/c she's the only "certified" instructor (she has a Ph.D in technical communications! WTH??) in the entire faculty to teach the stupid course :thumbsdow

i think ppl will go sniper crazy after this semester is over...
had the administration been smart, they would have looked over student opinions prior to allowing her to set the entire curriculum.
the course load is just horrendous. :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Aleks
11-09-2003, 01:52 PM
I have to take either 361 or 363 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mckenzie
11-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by altima
I have to take either 361 of 363 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just dont take it with bitch face I mean Dr. Smith.:thumbsdow

gkAeris
11-09-2003, 07:14 PM
because b hatton doesn't REQUIRE any labs.......

but he only teachs on the weekend i have to go to school at 8am on satursday but's its worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KLCC
11-09-2003, 07:35 PM
I can't believe how much work she wants us to put in for the group draft essay, which is due on the 13th.........whatever she wants was totally useless in our field....what a waste of my tuition money :banghead:

she sorta reminds me of the soup nazi in seinfield

thich
11-09-2003, 08:29 PM
the big thing is that she doesn't realize that most of the ppl she's teaching - engineers and managers - only need to UNDERSTAND what technical communications is and learn how to do a memo and maybe at most a proposal... but she just rambles on and on and makes people do stupid assignments are won't even be used later on in life. :P

nosegrindR
11-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by gkAeris
because b hatton doesn't REQUIRE any labs.......

but he only teachs on the weekend i have to go to school at 8am on satursday but's its worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, i took it with hatton last semester, went to 2 classes all semester which i fell asleep in, and still ended up aith an A-:rofl:

Mckenzie
11-10-2003, 11:46 AM
the big thing is that she doesn't realize that most of the ppl she's teaching - engineers and managers - only need to UNDERSTAND what technical communications is and learn how to do a memo and maybe at most a proposal... but she just rambles on and on and makes people do stupid assignments are won't even be used later on in life. :P

:werd:

I thought the most useful one was the anootated bibliography.

Right...... when I am out in the workforce I want to have flashbacks of this wonderful project because it is so useful....:thumbsdow

Are you in this class Thich? OR did you take it last year?

I have to get going on this stupid draft.....

thich
11-11-2003, 12:27 AM
i did it last year alongside SGMA301.. (big mistake i might add)...
she ended up not liking me b/c i kept ranting about the class in my stupid performance review things that we had to do.

Mckenzie
11-11-2003, 11:05 AM
i did it last year alongside SGMA301.. (big mistake i might add)...
she ended up not liking me b/c i kept ranting about the class in my stupid performance review things that we had to do.

I guess this is SGMA 301s replacement for this year. I heard that 301 was a pretty easy A if you put a good effort into the course.

This is a joke though and I am just going to blast her on the stupid review.

rc2002
11-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Lucky for you that you didn't get Doug Hare. I had him for both engg215 and coms363. Those courses were exactly the same - every single assignment was identical which was good because it was the course with the highest workload.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to take that course. What a waste of $500.

Mckenzie
11-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Doug Hare is also teaching the course with Tania.......

Its like a gang bang.....:(

integra_vate
11-13-2003, 12:14 AM
i'm currently enrolled in b hattons class its pretty easy but now I'm glad I'm taking it now before they may discover this easy ass course.

gkAeris
11-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by integra_vate
i'm currently enrolled in b hattons class its pretty easy but now I'm glad I'm taking it now before they may discover this easy ass course.

hey can i take ur notes and assignments off u when ur done? :D
i'm in with hatton next sems

Weapon_R
11-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Are you complaining because it's so easy or because it's hard?

02bump'nWRX
11-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Agreed.. the WORST POSSIBLE CLASS YOU COULD HAVE. Our TA is super nice though and she helps us alot when she isn't suppose to, so that helps. But the design of the course is a joke.

It seems now that smith is pissed that no one is going to lectures so they are giving us this big guilt trip that it will be hard to get a good mark because lectures are soo important and shit like that. And that the majority of use will be disappointed with our marks. Fuck i hate that Class

Altezza
11-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Took the course with Hare. Can't go wrong when the guy has a history of being scolded by the faculty for giving out too many A's. haha

Gainsbarre
12-07-2003, 07:09 PM
I guess I'm lucky because I took SGMA 301 in the Winter 2003 session. Everybody in Scurfield Hall seems to be constantly whining about it.

Doug Hare...ha. That guy used to teach communications at SAIT but he got fired for beign so incompetent (says my dad, who's a former colleague of his).

bart
09-09-2004, 10:08 AM
so any word on the course now? some guy Williams is teaching it this semester...

Mckenzie
09-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by bart
so any word on the course now? some guy Williams is teaching it this semester...

I think that is Andrea Williams. She took over for Tania Smith because she sucked so bad (we think she had a mental breakdown because of the amount of complaints and criticism).

I think and hope they have changed it for the better. We defenitaly got the shit end of the stick on that course.

bart
09-09-2004, 10:21 AM
i heard this course was easy a couple of years ago in the spring, basically write a manual for a remote control or something like that. then after some searching on here, its changed for the worse?

what should i expect now, i'm looking for something with little work and a good mark, as this is course #5 on my roster.

kiwi
09-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Oh my... I took this course 2 years ago w/ Brian Hatton & it was a joke! As long as you handed in all the assignments (which were so easy, I finished them all w/in an hour!) you were guaranteed an A!

Street_Soldier
09-11-2004, 09:02 PM
OK. I m reading so many mixed opinions. So is this course easy or hard? I m currently taking it this semester as an option, am I making a big mistake?

bart
09-13-2004, 10:38 AM
yes thats what i want to know!!!!

Aleks
09-13-2004, 11:06 AM
I took it in the winter semester this past year. I just graduated from engineering in spring. I can safely say that coms 363 was the worst course by far that I have taken in my university career. Most disorganized, confusing, waste of time ever. The profs and TA's had no idea what they wanted, everyone had their own rules as to what students were expected to deliver. The course was a bloody joke. So many people complained.
For everyone's sake I hope things changed over the summer!!! BTW I took it with Hare and Holmes

Canadian 2.5RS
09-13-2004, 11:21 AM
i took that class in summer with Goldie and it was an easy A. I dont remember it as being that boring of a class though. I thought most of the stuff was at least semi-applicable to the real world.

szw
09-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by bart
i heard this course was easy a couple of years ago in the spring, basically write a manual for a remote control or something like that. then after some searching on here, its changed for the worse?

what should i expect now, i'm looking for something with little work and a good mark, as this is course #5 on my roster.

check out www.ucalgary.ca/coms363 to see what the course is like this semester.

kenny
09-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Wow sounds like the course has really changed over the last few years. Back when I was taking it, it was proably THE BEST gpa boosting class offered!

I would write a 2 page double spaced paper on how to connect a dvd player to a TV (which took 10 minutes tops) to get an A. Repeat that 5 times for the semester, and thats all there was to it. No midterm, no final. In fact the papers were graded at a Jr. High School level which made it even easier. Now that I think of it, I'm not surprised this course has changed so much!

:thumbsup: for Brian Hatton.

mina_03
12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm taking this class this semester winter. I don't know what to expect. I heard it was a easy class but I'm taking 5 courses and I need at least a 3.7 average. so I need to do well. What should I do guys help.

a social dsease
12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
LOL its really easy I took it last spring, its basically like english 30 all over again except instead of making up some bullshit about novels you make up some bullshit that counts as "technical documents." Different profs give more or less workload but I had B Hatton, only had 6 assignments all year and they were all due on the last day of class. I only went to class maybe once a week cuz it was so slack. My final 10 pages assignment worth like a third of me mark was a review of different snowboarding hills, and only took a few hours to do. Most profs give a bit more work tho so try to get hatton if you can. Do Not take the online version of this class, sure it sounds cool because you get to take it online and you dont have to go to class but its worse, way more assignments and they mark alot harder.

**edit** just read the rest of this thread, sounds like everyone who had hatton thought it was a joke haha ,hatton kicks ass!! :thumbsup:

badatusrnames
12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
BEEEUMP!!! 3 years - solid.

three.eighteen.
12-16-2007, 10:15 PM
man, am i happy i took 361 instead

DTTB_36
12-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Take it via the internet...almost no effort required to get an A

sdiep
12-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Took it online, which I highly recommend, and it was okay in that you could easily not do the readings or whatever. Quizzes were done online, so you were allowed to use the notes.

The bad part was the 12-20 page singled-space report at the end of the semester. My professor was Jo-Anne Andre, and she was awesome. There were assignments that you have to do as well, but there were automatic grace periods of two days. And she always gave extensions once in a while and boosted quiz marks if she felt that some questions were not well phrased. Either way, I highly recommend her as a Prof for COMS 363 online.

mina_03
12-18-2007, 08:55 PM
so guys. I'm getting alittle confused. I was going to register into huttons class since everyone says hes a great prof and everything even though it is a saturday class. I'm willing to do it if hes a fair markr and doesn't go all crazy on the marking like some profs do.

The online class this semester is with Brent I don't know if I should take it online because some people in the thread have advised not to do it. Whereas some of you guys have said to do it online. I think the same quizes and everything is up this term also. I'm worried about the end term paper that you have to do with Brent its like 15% (proposal for the paper) and 35% (for the paper it self which has to be 8-10 pages. ) I'm an okay writer but how hard do they mark cause the prof isn't going to be marking it its going to be the TA.

So if someone did the class in the fall could you post a paper up so I could read it and get a feel for what the paper is spposed to be like. I'm currently in the online class. just trying to perpare myself.

sdiep
12-27-2007, 02:34 AM
The marking scheme is pretty much the same as the one I had online as well. The proposal was simple, and just 2-3 pages or so. And they provide you an outline to follow, so it is pretty straight forward and easy. I highly recommend taking COMS 363 instead of the other COMS class - my friend was in the in-class COMS class, I think it was 361 or something like that, and he said he had it tough. He had to memorize stuff and present it to the class, and he also had to teach the class something, as each person was required to do so for a project....

r0g3r
01-12-2008, 02:20 PM
What are the conditions of taking it online (coms363)? do you just register for it on peoplesoft? i've never taken a course online before. I plan on taking this couse during the spring/summer, is online offered then(this would allow me to work also)?

Hakkola
01-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
man, am i happy i took 361 instead

Did you like 361? I have it on saturdays this semester, 8-10am, then a lab from 10-12. Then I have literary theory from 1-5. Too much?

urbannomad
01-20-2008, 07:34 PM
I am in hattons class on sat.

This looks like a reallly "easy" class imo.

DTTB_36
01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I have the 361 textbook if anyone wants to buy it?

jess1ca
02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Hatton is teaching this course in Summer 2008 and I was just wondering what the assignments for this course is.

Can anyone post what's in the course outline (assignments, midterms, etc.)? Thanks!

mdeluxe
02-01-2008, 05:06 PM
i tottaly agree it was a waste of time. at least its an easy A

whos your prof?

Goo_wak_jai
02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
For all the people taking coms 363 here this sem post your answers for the quizes on here...

XylathaneGTR
02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Goo_wak_jai
For all the people taking coms 363 here this sem post your answers for the quizes on here...
Dude...it's pretty fucking easy man...
I'm not even reading the hand outs and i'm still getting 100%'s on the quizzes (i'm doing L09 online)
Hell, i did one at work last saturday because i ran out of things to do.

sdiep
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Dude...it's pretty fucking easy man...
I'm not even reading the hand outs and i'm still getting 100%'s on the quizzes (i'm doing L09 online)
Hell, i did one at work last saturday because i ran out of things to do.

I took it last year, and I totally agree. I bought the stupid textbook required for the course, but didn't even read it. Don't even bother with it.

mina_03
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm in Hattons saturday class this semester. I was freaking out about the class before cause I thought it would be hard. I have friends in other classes that are working there butts off to pull As on the papers.

If anyone needs to take this class I seriously recommend that you take it with Hatton. He is a really nice guy.. the class is a total waste of time and the assignments are really esay and stupid so far, I've handed in 3 of my assignments and those were the easist As I've ever gotten. There are only 5 assignments. I know I'm getting one A for sure this semeter.

Just take this class with Hatton. You don't even need to attend class just get the assignment requirements off someone and your all set.

urbannomad
03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by mina_03
I'm in Hattons saturday class this semester. I was freaking out about the class before cause I thought it would be hard. I have friends in other classes that are working there butts off to pull As on the papers.

If anyone needs to take this class I seriously recommend that you take it with Hatton. He is a really nice guy.. the class is a total waste of time and the assignments are really esay and stupid so far, I've handed in 3 of my assignments and those were the easist As I've ever gotten. There are only 5 assignments. I know I'm getting one A for sure this semeter.

Just take this class with Hatton. You don't even need to attend class just get the assignment requirements off someone and your all set.

yeah, me and my friend are in it aswell. so easy!
i hardly pay attention to him, i'm always watching movies in class....
if you don't mind me asking...where do you sit in class?

johnny.r1.lee
03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Wow sounds like the course has really changed over the last few years. Back when I was taking it, it was proably THE BEST gpa boosting class offered!

I would write a 2 page double spaced paper on how to connect a dvd player to a TV (which took 10 minutes tops) to get an A. Repeat that 5 times for the semester, and thats all there was to it. No midterm, no final. In fact the papers were graded at a Jr. High School level which made it even easier. Now that I think of it, I'm not surprised this course has changed so much!

:thumbsup: for Brian Hatton.

it still is like that in my class:thumbsup:

Boat
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by sdiep
Took it online, which I highly recommend, and it was okay in that you could easily not do the readings or whatever. Quizzes were done online, so you were allowed to use the notes.

The bad part was the 12-20 page singled-space report at the end of the semester. My professor was Jo-Anne Andre, and she was awesome. There were assignments that you have to do as well, but there were automatic grace periods of two days. And she always gave extensions once in a while and boosted quiz marks if she felt that some questions were not well phrased. Either way, I highly recommend her as a Prof for COMS 363 online.

2x

got an A on our final (assignment)

CALGARY PUBLIC LIBRARY FTW!!

mina_03
04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by urbannomad

yeah, me and my friend are in it aswell. so easy!
i hardly pay attention to him, i'm always watching movies in class....
if you don't mind me asking...where do you sit in class?

lol.. I hardly check the forum recently. but I never really sat in the same spot. I was always changing seats. where did you sit?

r0g3r
04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
i plan on taking this course in the summer (2008) with lisa bryce, my friend said shes good but is hatton better? I'm asking because i need an A for third year. thanks in advance

diamondedge
06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Bump for near end of spring 08.

Almost done with my spring of COMS363, I'm taking it with Lisa Bryce. I find her VERY engaging. Easy on the eyes too. Aside from that, best non-engg course I've ever taken.

Highly recommended.

nobb
06-17-2008, 07:18 AM
When is coms 363 offered online? The summer class is inclass.

arian_ma
06-17-2008, 07:43 AM
So...how often do I need to show up to this shit?
I've got it 2 days a week 3 hours a day right after work. I do not want to put in a 15 hour day and have nothing to show for it after.

diamondedge
06-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Depends. If you know what section you're in, check the Communication and Culture website for the course outline...It'll say what kinda assignments you have to write, think about some topics before hand that you're interested in and you should be okay, and you can always correspond with your prof the email way if you have questions.

At least 1 class per week, just to be safe.

Gabe

r0g3r
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
Depends. If you know what section you're in, check the Communication and Culture website for the course outline...It'll say what kinda assignments you have to write, think about some topics before hand that you're interested in and you should be okay, and you can always correspond with your prof the email way if you have questions.

At least 1 class per week, just to be safe.

Gabe

1 class per week? i thought there was group projects and presentations every lecture? unless they're not for marks?

diamondedge
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Shit.

You're right, that's how Bryce did attendance. Go to every class.

Gabe

krazykhoja
06-20-2008, 11:25 PM
theres lots of conflicting posts in here...some say its easy & some say its not...ive gone through the thread & i guess if you can write half-decently you should be ok...im planning on taking it online just not sure with brent (fall) or jo-anne (winter)...any opinions?