PDA

View Full Version : Linksys router problems

ACS-e36
11-08-2003, 01:25 PM
i just got a linksys etherfast router BEFSR41 and it seems to be disconnecting all the time and for it to work again i have to reset it. does anyone know how i can fix this? btw im with shaw

ACS-e36
11-08-2003, 02:10 PM
it seems that it disconnets when i start surfing on both computers

4wheeldrift
11-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Check and see if there is a firmware update available for the router.

hampstor
11-08-2003, 08:24 PM
there is a known problem with Linksys routers and Shaw Cable... I will have to dig up the email at work tomorrow but it occurs roughly when the lease is 50% over.

Affected models that were confirmed were the BEFW11S4, BEFSR41 and the BEFSR81. The WRT54G seems to be fine though.

The fix was not a newer firmware, but rather an older one.

ACS-e36
11-08-2003, 10:43 PM
could you PLEASE help me fix it?! its such a pain in the ass! i got a new firmware but that didnt work.... go figure

ACS-e36
11-08-2003, 11:09 PM
i have BEFSR41 V.3 if that makes any difference (Version3)

Davetronz
11-09-2003, 01:48 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
My first idea would have been firmware.
Second idea is to ensure that you are using a dynamic IP and not a static IP.
Ensure that your protocol is pulling from a wide range of IP's such as 192.168.1.1-100 and not just 192.168.1.1-5.
Not sure what else to suggest....
Let hampstor try to find that Email, I have it on my school machine, not here.

Dave

ACS-e36
11-09-2003, 12:58 PM
need help quick
the linksys support is taking to long to reply to emails!

hampstor
11-11-2003, 12:54 AM
I appologize for not being able to reply sooner, I have been in the hospital for the last 2 days (they thought I had SARS, then pnemonia, and now meningitus or a bad flu) so I have not been at work and will not be at work until thursday.

hampstor
11-21-2003, 03:07 AM
Here's what I got at work from a shaw tech:
When we log on to our (Shaw) cable routers / gateways we have noticed a few things when we turn on our DHCP/Trace diagnostics tools.

The Linksys wireless routers will get an IP but once the lease is 50% expired the router will send a request packet out to the DHCP servers.

The DHCP server then sends the ACK packet but the linksys router continues to send request packets, sometimes over 1 per second.

Once the lease expires the linksys router should send a Discovery packet out to obtain an new IP address, this does not always happen the linksys router will hold on to the ip and try to force itself to use IP, that the lease has expired, causing the Cable Gateway/Router to be arp spammed by the linksys router.

I have little info on what the customers are seeing or what issues they are having but this is what we see on our devices. I was hopping that some one there would have some info that might help up with this issue. Ie. a different firmware that would help or a setting on the linksys router itself.

We have also seen this with routers made from Netgear do they use the same chip set or other hardware, software, or firmware as linksys.

4wheeldrift
11-21-2003, 07:56 AM
I had that problem with the linksys router I had before (not a wireless), and a firmware upgrade fixed the problem. It did take a month or so before the update to fix the problem came out though.

rage2
11-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
it seems that it disconnets when i start surfing on both computers
It looks like you connected it wrong.

MAKE SURE the cable modem is plugged into the single WAN port, and not the LAN ports.

From this symptom, it looks like both PC's are fighting shaw for only 1 IP, which means you got the PC's fighting shaw on the LAN side. By plugging shaw onto the WAN side, the router is responsible for getting just 1 ip address, and sharing it with PC's on the LAN side via it's own DHCP server.

To confirm my suspicion, open up command prompt and type in :

ipconfig

on both your PC's. It'll give me the IP address that your computers have aquired. If it's a 192.168.1.* address, then it's hooked up right.

If it's a 68.*.*.* address, then your shaw modem is hooked up to the wrong port.