PDA

View Full Version : How to in transit passes work?

NRGie
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
If i get a in transit pass for a car, can i drive it back home without registering or insuring it?

FiveFreshFish
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
It's like a temporary registration so you can run without a plate.

But you still need to insure the car.

NRGie
08-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Im going to pick up a car tomorrow with no insurance or registration, so the in transit pass wont work? Best way to get it home is to tow it i guess?

Team_Mclaren
08-24-2009, 11:26 PM
^ yup, its not insurance. its a temp registration. so the transit pass only covers your registration but not insurance.

Wrinkly
08-25-2009, 12:56 AM
This actually depends on where you are bringing it from. Manitoba and BC have a combined ins/reg permit, but it's only good to the border. Once you hit Alberta (if you're bringing it here?) you have no insurance.

If you get an Alberta in transit permit before you go (bill of sale required), it's cheaper and gets you door to door. I know, 'cos I did this from BC to Alberta just two months ago.

Team_Mclaren
08-25-2009, 01:23 AM
^^ It doesnt matter where he is bringing it from, an Alberta intransit permit does not include insurance. Doesnt matter where you are coming from.

However I'm not sure if an intransit permit in Manitoba and BC includes insurance or not.

ExtraSlow
08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Insurance is easy to get, and cheap for a short time. Just phone your insurance company and they'll fax you the pink card. Probably chaper than towing it.
stay legal my friends.

Zero102
08-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Did you get rid of your old car?
If so, you can put your plate from it on the new vehicle for up to 14 days. You WILL STILL NEED INSURANCE, but that is far easier to get. This way you can save the towing costs and get the vehicle home much more easily.