PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Condensation?

flipstah
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi there!

My lights aren't giving enough coverage so I checked it out and it seemed like there's condensation or mold appearing within the light housing(?)

I think it's mold because it has white outlines behind the headlamp glass but I guess in my case, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'm not sure if it's scratches or indeed mold but from what I understand, those housings should be waterproof and that water shouldn't go in.

I'll provide pictures when I head home but can anyone think of how can water get in those things?

Ntense_SpecV
08-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Cheap Ebay housing are known to have this problem. Most people suggest sealing them again with silicone before installing. If you didn't buy new housing then remove the cover by warming up the sealant with a heat gun (or oven) and then clean up any moisture and seal them back up again.

2EFNFAST
08-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Are you certain the outside isn't just oxidized/hazed over?

Usually you can restore headlight with a buffer and a plastic polish, like Meguiar's plastic-x

Ntense_SpecV
08-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Are you certain the outside isn't just oxidized/hazed over?

Usually you can restore headlight with a buffer and a plastic polish, like Meguiar's plastic-x

This is very true - Plastic-X worked wonders on mine. Made them look almost brand new again.

flipstah
08-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

This is very true - Plastic-X worked wonders on mine. Made them look almost brand new again.

This Plastic-X can be purchased at CrappyTire, yes?

I'll have to check that out but I think I'll post pictures first so that there's no need for imagining things.

GQBalla
08-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

This Plastic-X can be purchased at CrappyTire, yes?

I'll have to check that out but I think I'll post pictures first so that there's no need for imagining things.

yes it can.

i believe its 11 bucks?

nobb
08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
See if you can determine whether it is on the outside or the inside. Even though the headlights are supposed to be sealed, sometimes water can get in. If it's on the inside, then youll have to disassemble it, stick it in the oven to soften the glue, then take it apart and clean.