PDA

View Full Version : LF. Home Repairman/Plumber for Interior Water Leak

Neil4Speed
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I was wondering if there was anyone on beyond who may be able to help me out.

My bathroom in the basement has had water leaking slowly from initially the ceiling near the door, then the extractor fan, and now on the opposite side wall. I am pretty sure the leak is coming from the upstairs but it has to be fixed - does anyone here know of any contacts who might be useful to help me out with this?

I am in the Northwest.

I am also convinced that it is coming internally as there has been no moisture outside the last couple of days. Water is dropping at about the rate of one drop every 5 seconds.

Thanks in advance!

HungryJack
08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Have you turned off the water yet?

Kritafo
08-26-2009, 05:00 AM
I am curious to know if you have a fairly new house? We have having the same issue, luckily it's the spare bathroom, and it never gets used, but it leaked enough before we caught it.

Neil4Speed
08-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I am curious to know if you have a fairly new house? We have having the same issue, luckily it's the spare bathroom, and it never gets used, but it leaked enough before we caught it.

No our house is over 20 years old - I am having a plumber come in a couple of hours, hopefully he is able to fix it.

Kritafo
08-26-2009, 07:54 AM
yes let me know how much it cost you...just so I have an idea of what to expect.

ahh I was just curious of the age of house as ours is 9 years old and we are having all sorts of issues.

G
08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Does your house use polybutylene pipes?

http://www.atlanticreplumbing.com/PolybutyleneRepipe/WhatarePolybutylenePipes/tabid/530/Default.aspx

Neil4Speed
08-26-2009, 11:33 AM
So, this guy just came in, I found him from Kijiji, he was pretty good at locating the leak, but I should have really called a plumber as I didn't want him working on pipes etc if he didn't have certification etc. For 2 hours of his time it cost me about $140, I don't know if I would do that again.

Off to get rooted by Mr.Rooter...

And G, We had PolyB pipes and had them all replaced about 5 years ago with standard copper. PolyB can be a real health hazard as the hot water pipes can explode and cause scalding etc.

Kritafo
08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
My issue is the cost for the guy just to show up... We got Mr Plumber and it was $90.00 just for him to be here and then $60.00 for the part, which I later found out was a warranty part...how annoyed was I!