PDA

View Full Version : Few questions re: smart phones

Kloubek
08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Ok... bear with me guys - some of these questions are gonna be a little on the gay side.

I am well over 2 years into my 3 year contract, and Telus has offered for me to renew a 3-year contract, and get the 3-year contract-rated phones. Good deal, I figure.

I've done some research, and found the Samsung Omnia seems to be a pretty decent phone with good features.

So... just a few questions:

1) Does anyone hae this phone, and do you like it? Any suggestions regarding it?

2) Does anyone here live or visit the Kincora/Hidden Valley/Sage Hill area? What is the reception like with your carrier? Which carrier? (My Telus phone was almost useless in Hidden Valley a couple of weeks ago.)

3) If I get a shared plan with the wife for a 3-year contract, I guess it would be unlikely they would supply us with TWO phones for the 3-year contract price right? (I pretty much know the answer to this... so nevermind.)

4) Their least-expensive voice/data bundle has 500mb of free download transfer per month. For those who have such plans, and only use the internet for occasional information-gathering, etc, is this enough time for each month, or does it get used up a lot quicker than they claim?

I think that is about it. Any insights anyone could provide in any respect would be appreciated. After all, I don't want to sign up for a 3 year contract if it doesn't make sense.

Cheers.

Jlude
08-25-2009, 10:35 PM
2) I was in Kincora a couple weeks ago with my rogers phone and had zero problems getting service.

4) I send/receive MANY emails on my iphone, do online banking... read the news and I have yet to go over my 500mb.

rockanrepublic
08-25-2009, 10:37 PM
wait for omnia 2

BokCh0y
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
All I can suggest to you...is let the Telus contract expire and then go over to Rogers.

403ep3
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
1) When I was working for bell I found that phone really good. It has a lot of features you don't normally see on any smartphones. It was fast because I remember hearing that it had two processors?

2) I have bell right now and my reception is fine in those places. Maybe your phone is just nearing it's death. Bell reception = telus reception

3) They probably will give you that "3 year contract" price if you're looking to add another line. I think I read that right.

4) The only way you will go over is if you stream music or watch youtube all the time. 500MB on most smartphones, for most people, is more than enough. Plus, you can't even tether with that data.

Kloubek
08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Good information guys - keep it up.

Wait for Omnia 2: Why? Because the current one has lots of bugs? From what I've read, it is quite stable.

Wait until the contract expires and go with Rogers? Why? So I can purchase the Iphone? As much as I like the Iphone, there are actually more apps out there for Microsoft Mobile. Plus, there are a TON of freeware apps. Or is it because Rogers reception is better around Calgary?

403:
1) Yeah, I heard it is pretty fast. Apparently OPENING apps is roughly the same, but the processer is quick when running them. Apparently kicks ass on the HTC products.
2) I just did some checking into this statement, and found that telus and bell do indeed use the same towers in the West. That is excellent to know.
3) The 3-year contract price was based on me getting a new phone, but I had said nothing about adding a shared plan to the equation.
4) Echoing what Jlude said. That's excellent news. What do you mean though that you can't even tether with that data? Do you mean that tethering would result in going well over the 500mb?

toyboy88
08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
3) If you added your wife's into a 'combined' account with yours, and BOTH signed a new 3-year, then yes you could get 2 phones for the 3-year price. However on couple/family plans, they often have buy one (sign a 3 year) on one line + phone - and get up to 4 phones free for each line you have on your account. So you may want to consider that option.

4) Yeah, unless your streaming video/audio on a daily basis, 500MB is MORE than enough for the regular 'basic' user. I use GPS/youtube/surfing/beyond/tsn/etc daily on the iphone - and have only come to like 300MB/month.

Tethering is basically using your phone as your internet provider when connected to your computer. Usually on your computer you use alot more bandwidth, so Jlude is saying that if you ever use your phone to tether, then 500MB will NOT be enough. Not sure 100% about Telus, but Rogers data plans under 1GB don't even allow tethering - so it may or may not even apply to you for the 500MB option.

On a side note, keep in mind the new carrier (Globalive) is tentative set to come out in late Q4 2009 or Q1 2010, so you may want to just go month-to-month til the end of the year if you want to check out the new carriers phones/plans/deals before signing a 3-year with Telus.

Hope that helps!

darkkent
08-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I have had the htc touch diamond, samsung omnia, htc touch pro and now the htc touch pro2 and the touch pro2 is by far the best of all of them. The omnia was decent but wasn't a big fan of the interface. If you want to wait a bit, TELUS will also be launching HSPA in a couple months with newer and better phones like the new LG chocolate, HTC hero, Omnia 2 etc. The 500mb is plenty for what you are doing and if you need to you can monitor your data usage online. 3 of my best friends live in Kincora and I am there all the time with no issues on TELUS.

DJ_NAV
08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
also keep this in mind.. what telus is offering you is nothing special. that offer will always be there and it is offered to every customer.

Carl64
08-27-2009, 01:41 PM
I would wait it out. There is a few new nice Blackberrys coming for both Rogers and Telus, the Onyx and Storm 2 come to mind. Telus is also moving to a new network soon so there will be new phones for that. Also you could hop over to Bell and checkout the Palm Pre.

My personal recommendation is an iPhone and Rogers. Only place I have problems with Rogers reception is out here in the boonies... and I mean out here and Hanna Alberta where the closest town over 4000 people is Calgary area 2+ hours away :).

scat19
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
4) For myself, using a smart-phone, 500MB is NOT enough. I will tell you why.

I am on Rogers, and have the 6GB plan. I use, ever month, 4GB+.

Just on the device, you have small data use applications such as - Facebook, E-mail, Internet, Movie Times, Restaraunts, etc.

Large Data Use-
Youtube, TomTom Navigation, Google Maps, ShoutCAST (Internet Radio)

I use internet radio everytime i'm in my car, and love commercial free. With so many stations, you can't go wrong. (shoutcast is part of AOL I think?)

Also, on Rogers, when I do tether, I download consistantly over 500KB/S. That's faster than most peoples "HIGH-Speed" internet.

On rogers, we have 3.5G (7.2MBPS down) and the iPhone3GS is one of the only capable 3.5 phones in Canada.

Hope any of this helps?

KrisYYC
08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Kloubek,

I agree with rockanreplubic on the Omnia II if it's within your budget.

Though you don't have to wait for it as it's already out (July).

Here's an excellent, detailed review of the Omnia II http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8000_omnia_ii-review-388.php

I never buy phones from any of the Canadian carriers, they're always years behind the rest of the world with handsets. Hence why everybody thinks the iphone is so innovative when it's not. I always pay full price for the phone and import. Keeps me off of a contract too.

Personally I'm waiting for the Nokia N900 to come out in October. Linux based OS :drool:

Good luck!

Kris

Kloubek
08-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys.

I realize that the offer Telus is giving me is nothing special. But I DID like the idea of renewing a contract when there is still 10 months left in mine. In essence, it is almost like they are only tying me down to a 26-month contract. And if they offer the same sort of deal at the end of THAT contract, I might be able to get it down to somewhere around 16-18 months if I sign with them again after that time. Whereas if I go with another carrier, I'm stuck with my chocolate flip until this contract runs out in 10 months, then I have to re-sign somewhere else for 3 years. In full, that's almost 4 years of contract time... unless other dealers will let you re-sign 10 months before the end of the contract end as well...

I have read reviews on the Omnia II already (thanks though Kris - that one is excellent), and it seems to be the one all the reviewers are raving about. Not everyone seems as keen on the Palm Pre, and others.

The thing is: Telus is offering the Omnia I at only $80 with the 3/yr term. That's a pretty good deal. Yes, I could wait a few months for them to introduce the II, but even when they do I can expect to pay top dollar for it, and I'm kinda on a budget. With this said, I'm not sure I would be happy enough with the low resolution on the Omnia I.

So I'm kinda on the fence. I know there will be better phones fairly soon. In a couple of years, I'm sure the smartphone will be even more advanced, and I can pick up the "phone of my dreams" at that time.

One more question I have:
I know Telus is planning on implementing the High Speed Packet network very soon, with 4G coming a little later. Will all these current smartphones be able to take advantage of the HSPA (?) I will assume they will *not* handle the 4G, but I'm not sure if the Omnia II or other similar models will either....

msommers
09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Just a question about a data usage. Are things like BBM, email/facebook notification, maps, GPS using data? If so, how much?

I'll probably be reading the herald/BBC/CNN, beyond and facebook, to and from school everyday on the bus. Would 500mb/month be enough?

Kloubek
09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
So I've been contemplating this since I originally posted. One thing I found is that if one selects a phone that is not considered a "smart phone" by telus (such as the dare, or the instinct), they can get download and streaming video at a much better monthly price.

I've made up my mind that I WILL get something in the next couple of days. I understand better product will be out shortly, but I will worry about upgrading again in 2 years.

So here are the two options I am considering:

Samsung Instinct
Basic Plan: Your Choice 25. Includes 200 minutes daytime airtime.
+ Package 15: Caller ID, 10 Voice Mails. Unlimited text, browsing, and video streaming. $15
+ Early Evenings $7
+ Access fee and 911: $8
Total: $55/month
Phone is free
= $1320 paid at end of 2 years.

Samsung Omnia
Basic Plan: Smartphone Combo 45. Includes 200 daytime minutes and 500mb data. Unlimited text.

+ Early Evenings: $7
+ Caller ID and Voicemail 10: $12
+ Access fee and 911: $8
Total: $72/month
Phone is $80
= $1808 paid at end of 2 years

Difference: Almost $500.

So the question is.... will I get $500 of MORE enjoyment with the Omnia over the next 2 years? Can someone please tell me what enormous difference I will experience?

matsloan
09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Stay away from the instinct. I had one from telus. Was decent for a few months, then it started messing up. It would freeze constantly. Someone would be calling me, say Bill, but on my phone it would register as Mike calling, same thing happen with texts. Video sucks on it. I switched to a BB storm.

Kloubek
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
All the reviews online show that the Instinct is the one to get!

Maybe you just had a lemon?

matsloan
09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Maybe, that was my experience, few other ppl that had the phone had the same problem, crashing. I tried to deal with it but got very frustrated. I spoke with the dealer, and she had the same phone and did not like it either. I sent it back and told them i wanted a new phone, they gave me a deal on the phone, and 50% for 1 year on my data plan. This happened in feb.