PDA

View Full Version : Downhill Mountain Biking

benyl
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
So I want to try some downhill MB. Is COP an ok place to go? Do they rent bikes with huge suspension travel?

What should I know about DH before doing it?

If I like it, how much is a decent bike?

bigboom
08-26-2009, 12:08 PM
COP is a decent place to start out, they rent out Kona's there I believe, they will have more than enough travel for a beginner.

if you like it a decent bike will probably run around $4000 new.

depending on how adverse to wipeout damage you are you may want to pick up some armour and a full face helmet, definitely go with some shin pads though, it hurts and bleeds pretty good when you slip off your pedals :banghead:

Phenix
08-26-2009, 12:11 PM
You can get a giant reign x1 for under 3 grand and it will hold p to anything COP has to offer and its not so heavy that you can live with it climbing hills.

They also have a few different types of full suspension bikes to rent.

Anyone else Mountian bike here?

Grogador
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
You can get a decent "all mountain" or "freeride" bike for around $2000, with six inches front and rear travel that will handle the majority of terrain and still be fun on flat singletracks.

Get a full-face helmet. Bones heal, holes in your shins are kinda sexy, but facial reconstructive surgery is expensive. Unless you're an ugly mofo, then it may be in improvement? :D

COP is decent, they cut some nice trails. Fernie is a lot of fun if you want to head out that way. They rent bikes out there as well. For a first timer, I'd recommend not getting carried away speed-wise; bombing 70kph+ down a mountain road is fun, but until you know how to handle the odd rut/rock/bump, it may hurt. Get comfortable with the bike (suspension, BRAKES, steering), know how to throw it around, hang your ass over the back tire and still retain good control, etc. Take a few drops. Maybe try some planks... have fun!

What I ride: 2007 Norco Six Two, 1992 Trek 400 :D

89coupe
08-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by benyl
So I want to try some downhill MB. Is COP an ok place to go? Do they rent bikes with huge suspension travel?

What should I know about DH before doing it?

If I like it, how much is a decent bike?

COP will definitely give you a taste of downhill, enough for you to know if you like it or not.

Its short but has a couple fun runs.

Armour is a definite must unless you are young, dumb & broke...lol.

You definitely want a full face helmet as well, all it takes is one bad wipe out to knock your teeth out or bust your face up.

Here are my suggestions for armour.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=BA%2DTROY%2DDESCEND&MatrixType=1

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=BA%2DTROY%2DLOPES&MatrixType=1

Helmet.
http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=HL%2DD2Lucha&MatrixType=1

I suggest shopping online for accessories as you can almost always find a better deal then the local shops.

www.beyondbikes.com always has winter sales for great prices.

As for the ultimate DH experience, the closest place is Silver Star.

As for a bike, you can get a decent DH or Freeride for under $4000.00

My bike was under $4000.00

I have an 07 Devinci Frantic with most of the good stuff like a Totem front fork, Fox Air rear, Avid Code brakes & Chris King Head set.

Some of the other shit like upgrading rims, tires, cranks, gear sets and derailers gets pointless unless your are super hardcore serious. Suspension and brakes are the big things you want to focus on.

http://www.designsanew.com/bike/IMG_1765.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
If you like COP, places like Panorama and the like (i.e. actual mountains) will blow your mind. COP is a good place to start, but i personally hate it because a) there is a million wanna-be dirt jumper kids there who clog up the DH course so that they can go over the same jump over and over and b) it takes 2 minutes to get down the hill, sometimes less.

A Giant Reign X1 is, as mentioned, under $3000 and will hold up to anything you can throw at it. Also you can use it for any type of riding, not just DH. Alternatively, a used full-on DH bike will be $3000 or less and will be even nicer to ride DH with but useless for much else. www.pinkbike.com is the best place to start looking for used. Giant represents probably the best value/bang for the buck in the MTB industry and is a good place to start looking. IMO their rear suspension design is the best on the market, and they make the frames for many other manufactuers.

You'll also need a few hundred $ worth of protective gear, which is worth every penny.

JfuckinC
08-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Dirtbiking FTW (if you're spending 4g's on a bike!!)

This thread does interest me though, because i want to try DH. From the facebook videos i've seen from friends, it looks like a rush!!

Kona9
08-26-2009, 04:04 PM
If you are interested in DH riding. COP is a beneficial place to start and learn. There are different trails for different levels. All in which you can hit a little harder each time you get comfortable.

There are a bunch of pretty experienced riders on here, but if you are interested in hitting up COP for a few runs etc. I would be willing to go on some runs with ya to give you some pointers etc.

If you start soon and find you like it, COP will be having a few fall mid week fun races this year as well.

I'm sure you know this, but Keep in mind that not all full suspension bikes are "DH" bikes. If you are interested in learning some big hits, or getting comfortable with 6-8 plus foot drops etc, make sure you get a bike with the right suspension. There is Nothing like smashing up some 5" suspension. It kills the bike and generally your "parts" per se.

As for what bike...see if you like the sport first. Being the end of the season, maybe look around for a great condition used set up. If you continue to like it...buy new. This was my plan of attack. Buying new from the get go may be something you are more interested in though.

Who would be up for a Beyond "DH" meet at COP soon?

Phenix
08-26-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm down with that, was actually thinking of suggesting it earlier. lol Lets do it very soon

zipdoa
08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd like to break my stab supreme in... Count me in!

Phenix
08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
so who's up for setting up something next week?

Grogador
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm down for evening or weekend...

FiveFreshFish
08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Can you do beginner downhill runs on a regular mountain bike?

JfuckinC
08-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Can you do beginner downhill runs on a regular mountain bike?

I'm no mountain biker, but regular as in Canadian Tire special? I'd say that would be sketchy, the thing would crumple beneath you haha..

FiveFreshFish
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

I'm no mountain biker, but regular as in Canadian Tire special? I'd say that would be sketchy, the thing would crumple beneath you haha..

Full suspension Rocky Mountain Instinct with upgraded brakes, crank, derailleur, handlebar, pedals.

prae
08-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Full suspension Rocky Mountain Instinct with upgraded brakes, crank, derailleur, handlebar, pedals.

yeah dude

i've ridden COP on a costco INFINITY with a 4" fork before!

COP has lots of different stuff for different skill levels and as long as you ride what you are comfortable with you will be fine.

Personally DH isnt my thing, I am much more of a marathon/epic XCer. anything that tires me out and makes me feel like my lungs are on fire

Grogador
08-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Nice bike but you won't be going hardcore or doing mad drops. Air shock in the rear? might blow... good riddance, upgrade that too :D

Phenix
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
But your bike should be able to handle a lot of cop. just take it easy and see how it goes.

I'd be up for soemthing after work next week tuesday or wednesday next week?

Kona9
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Anyone decide on a day? Is everyone free?

Phenix
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm free. Open for pretty much any day.

Konj
08-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I just bought a used mountain bike. I have no gear or anything, but I am very interested in trying out mountain biking down hill.

So if we can get this started that would be great.

Penguin_Racecar
08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd be up for a group ride I think. Best bet is to rent a bike from COP and see what you like. I ride a 5" travel (front/rear) Kona Coiler, and it suits me just fine for downhill stuff (minus enormous drops). I paid about $2k for the setup I have. If you're looking to buy something used you can check out pinkbike.com - there's a ton of listings on there.

Phenix
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Would wednesday or thurday after work be good for everyone?

Phenix
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Bump******

zipdoa
09-22-2009, 05:45 PM
How does this sunday look for everyone? meet @ COP?

Phenix
09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
That would be awesome. I'm in. finally someone replied. lol

Phenix
09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Set a time and I'll be there

Supa Dexta
10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I've been thinking I may sell my bike if anyone is looking for a norco 2008 team DH. It's in Nova Scotia now but I can get it to alberta a couple weeks from now.

Brand new frame from the recall, and never used much before that.. Has a boxxer wc on it.. it's a medium.. PM if interested.