PDA

View Full Version : does photo radar spray work?

holden
08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Has anyone ever used the license plate spray that claims to block photo radar?

http://www.photoblockercanada.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_e2BC_kXis

sr20s14zenki
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Doesnt work, mythbusters did it....to death.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Doesnt work, mythbusters did it....to death.

Has anyone ever tryed to make a plate flipping device? I think it would be a awesome addition but could get you in a lot of trouble?

Also you need to do 177MPH before you ca outrun Photo-radar/speed cameras...

TorqueDog
08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Man, they're as clear as day out there; just slow down until you pass them, and then resume your normal pace.

bituerbo
08-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Trapster!
Plus my Beltronics RX65 Pro picks up the KA-band these radar vans are spewing from 1/4 mile away.

Pollywog
08-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Tricplate. It uses an electronic film that can be darkened at the flip of a switch.

http://www.tricplate.com/picts/tricplate%20clear.jpghttp://www.tricplate.com/picts/tricplate%20dark.jpg

http://www.tricplate.com

Tik-Tok
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Tricplate. It uses an electronic film that can be darkened at the flip of a switch.

http://www.tricplate.com/picts/tricplate%20clear.jpghttp://www.tricplate.com/picts/tricplate%20dark.jpg

http://www.tricplate.com

That'd be useful if you could hook it up to a gps, and have it blank out everytime you go through a redright/speed on green intersection.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That'd be useful if you could hook it up to a gps, and have it blank out everytime you go through a redright/speed on green intersection.

it'd be less useful if a cop was to follow you through one of those said intersections... lol

Tomaz
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
As my father always said,

"No need to hide if your doing nothing wrong"

Food for thought

Kloubek
08-26-2009, 01:26 PM
No, the sprays do not work.

But it would be an interesting exercise to create a plate cover which is made with lots of "strands" packed together facing front and back. Something like fiber optic material. That way, if you look at it straight on it will look 100% normal. But from an angle, you'd just see the side of all the little strands - causing a virtual white-out.

You'd think technology would be advanced enough to create something like this by now. It probably is... but government intervention probably makes it illegal to market or sell such things...

TorqueDog
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Food for thought There are a hundred things wrong with that sentiment, but as my mother always said when I was a kid, "get out of my purse"; this blatant cash-grab known as photo radar should be abolished as it has in other cities in North America.

LadyLuck
08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

But it would be an interesting exercise to create a plate cover which is made with lots of "strands" packed together facing front and back. Something like fiber optic material. That way, if you look at it straight on it will look 100% normal. But from an angle, you'd just see the side of all the little strands - causing a virtual white-out.

If you click on the OP's link and half ways down the page, its called a Super Protector, pretty much the same idea.

There was a guy with a civic that parked in the SAIT parkade for a few weeks and had that on his plate, pretty neat at first but after a few weeks had it removed again. probably got a ticket for it lol

bituerbo
08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

You'd think technology would be advanced enough to create something like this by now. It probably is... but government intervention probably makes it illegal to market or sell such things...

Cut a ton of drinking straws down to 1" long, packed tightly in a rectangle. Would be a fun exercise! Probably land you an obstructed plate ticket though. use red straws around the lettering, and white straws around everything else.

I've always wanted to mount my tag on the drivers-side corner of my rear bumper, so that the full plate is just barely visible directly to the rear, but as soon as you move off to the left it becomes obstructed.

canuckcarguy
08-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Food for thought

Thanks, Mom.

ragu
08-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
There are a hundred things wrong with that sentiment, but as my mother always said when I was a kid, "get out of my purse"; this blatant cash-grab known as photo radar should be abolished as it has in other cities in North America.

:clap:

exodus989
08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Has anyone ever tryed to make a plate flipping device? I think it would be a awesome addition but could get you in a lot of trouble?

Also you need to do 177MPH before you ca outrun Photo-radar/speed cameras...

Hmm. I don't think that will work for me... I've just gotten up to 145MPH in mine before I pussy out.... yay for ZY tires :]

bjstare
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

Cut a ton of drinking straws down to 1" long, packed tightly in a rectangle. Would be a fun exercise! Probably land you an obstructed plate ticket though. use red straws around the lettering, and white straws around everything else.

If you use red straws for lettering and white on everything else, it will be an exact replica of your plate, raised one inch... thus will be completely readable without seeing the actual plate.

TorqueDog
08-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
If you use red straws for lettering and white on everything else, it will be an exact replica of your plate, raised one inch... thus will be completely readable without seeing the actual plate. I was thinking the same thing - you'd have to use clear straws. Clear straws wouldn't be nearly as obvious from dead on, but from an angle would distort the view enough. Then again, I'm pretty sure you'd get caught in VERY short order.

The problem with the systems that are used in Calgary is that they aren't at enough of an angle for these plate-distortion techniques to work in the first place.

em2ab
08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I have this in my car, it's called Speedzone (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/rr-plugins/128908-speedzone-w-gps-position-alarm-gps-position-trigger-25aug09.html) . It automates events based on GPS location, I live in a gated community and I'm in the process of hooking it up to my keyfob for the gate. Once I get close to my community it opens the gate for me to enter.

Kloubek
08-26-2009, 03:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing - you'd have to use clear straws. Clear straws wouldn't be nearly as obvious from dead on, but from an angle would distort the view enough. Then again, I'm pretty sure you'd get caught in VERY short order.

Lol... I can just imagine the cop's reaction when they pull you over for that.

I agree though - clear straws would work better; red and white coloured ones would not be fine enough to create perfectly straight lines for the letters...

And I don't think 1" would be required. Maybe 1/2 cm. But I guess it isn't really relevant since it would be a rather ridiculous attempt at avoiding penalty from cameras.

My thought was to create something with tens of thousands of strands, all tightly packed. Then it could be VERY thin, and still provide coverage from side viewing. But then as lady luck pointed out, it appears something like this is already created... probably on the same principle. Damn - I could have made millions! :)

In all honesty though, they really need to do a better job at marketing their product. I mean - using a video that is almost entirely a clip from CSI as your ad? Seriously....

TorqueDog
08-26-2009, 04:03 PM
How about a shotgun on a stick? Then just blow the head off the cameras. It'd be more fun.

canuckcarguy
08-26-2009, 04:53 PM
On older trucks, easiest way to avoid photo is to use all three holes in the bumper for different size hitch balls. The entire plate's never discernable, regardless of angle. When I'm driving my weekend work truck, equipped as such, I actually speed up for photo radar. Never had a ticket, and never been hassled by the cops for it.

Hamann
08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
On older trucks, easiest way to avoid photo is to use all three holes in the bumper for different size hitch balls. The entire plate's never discernable, regardless of angle. When I'm driving my weekend work truck, equipped as such, I actually speed up for photo radar. Never had a ticket, and never been hassled by the cops for it.

Ive seen quite a few trucks that do this, was gonna do it to mine but i've just been to lazy to go buy a damn hitch :banghead:

Bizzareo
08-27-2009, 01:02 AM
How about a shotgun on a stick? Then just blow the head off the cameras. It'd be more fun.

I'm surprised no one has vandalized the speed cameras yet. Or even worse tried to shoot out the lens or knock it over..... Oh wait this Isn't LA.

Tomaz
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
There are a hundred things wrong with that sentiment, but as my mother always said when I was a kid, "get out of my purse"; this blatant cash-grab known as photo radar should be abolished as it has in other cities in North America.

... what's wrong with this saying?

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Thanks, Mom.

I thought you would like that! haha

'Tis true. Clean record for almost 4 years now!
:thumbsup:

se7en
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM
down in medicine hat, some dude in a big red 4x4 ford drove over the remote photo radar camera....

I seriously lol'd over that.

heavyD
08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
'Tis true. Clean record for almost 4 years now!
:thumbsup:

Your time will come. I go on trends. Five years without a ticket then bang two this year. The tickets now are crazy expensive compared to the 80's or 90's as well. The city must be able to fund a large portion of it's police force of speeding as the revenues has to be millions per month. More tickets and more money yet drivers on roads today are the worst by far in the history of motor vehicles so really there's no other way of explaining it other than a cash grab.

Tomaz
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Your time will come. I go on trends. Five years without a ticket then bang two this year. The tickets now are crazy expensive compared to the 80's or 90's as well. The city must be able to fund a large portion of it's police force of speeding as the revenues has to be millions per month. More tickets and more money yet drivers on roads today are the worst by far in the history of motor vehicles so really there's no other way of explaining it other than a cash grab.

Inflation is a bitch eh? ;)

Damn resession! :rofl: